↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Warm restart problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mupwaya

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Belize Green
Dear all
My Land rover Puma 2010 model ( with Ford Engine) is giving me problems. It only starts when the engine is cold. Once you run the engine for sometime and stop it. It fails to start when the engine is warm until you wait up to 30 minutes for it to cool, then its able to start. What could be the problem?
Myupwaya
Post #642182 6th Aug 2017 10:27am
newhue

Australia 
huh I have a 2010 that did the same. I'm reasonably confident to say its the starter switch.
[urlhttp://www.paddockspares.com/switch-ignition-1.html[/url]
you can change it with the ignition barrel still in place. Its a bit fiddly but easier I feel than removing the barrel. I used blue tac to hold the two tiny screws on the screwdriver to tighten the switch back into place. My Defender and travels
Post #654854 4th Oct 2017 1:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
newhue

Australia 
nope I am wrong.
I originally replaced the "thought top be" regularly failing OE starter switch with a second hand one, and the unpredictable hot start failures disappeared; that is until one day the issue started to occasionally appear. So I replaced the second hand with a brand new all makes brand starter, and the usual land rover BS continues so its not the starter switch.

The no starts happen when the car is at running temp and shut down for 5 to 10 minutes, then tried to restart. Typically like a fill at a service station. The unpredictable timing of the no start is matched with complete silence, not a movement or sound. All lights work as should just no movement. I would turn key slow, or wait for it to glow, wait 1,2,3 minutes between attempts, turn everything off. Nowadays I I just rapid off on start, off off start, off on start with no pause until the pile starts. Kind of hoping it catches fire and that will be the end of problem. My Defender and travels
Post #660973 31st Oct 2017 7:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
How is the key fob battery?

Could it be your immobilizer?

Cheers
Andy
Post #661138 1st Nov 2017 12:57pm
newhue

Australia 
It would have to be a couple years old, but does not appear to be playing up. Does the usual Land Rover thing of sometimes working from 6m, others one has to be almost at the door. It has always done that pending your approach angle. But a $1 perhaps the battery is worth replacing.

As far as I am aware one of the immobilisers is turned off, I think its the active; with the passive still on. The car when new had a very similar issue and LR took 8 weeks and much replacing of componentry to feel that had beaten the issue. I recently had it back to them suggesting their fix under warranty had returned out of warranty, and given the cost of repairs the first time, then perhaps they should still own it or help out with the cost. They didn't say no, were willing to have as look, but kept of giving me lip service while charging me for a sensor here, a sensor there. I suggested immobiliser which they dismissed, and it all felt like basically they had no idea. Also are still having staff turn over issues, and couldn't bring themselves to tell me to Censored off because they live in hope I will buy another product off them on day. Most unlikely.

My trouble is perhaps like many owners, I pumped too much money into it hoping it would be the last car I every buy. Believing the Defenders owners bubble that they are worth something. That didn't matter because it was a keeper, but never ending niggling issues wear you down, and reality is the outside world doesn't want a defender or value them much at all. Other branded dealers don't even want to trade them on a new sale. And the inside bubblers generally are pretty tight with their money. So its hang on and endure, or realise the loss and move on. I guess a lesson in life and cars. I tend to think if I hang onto it for another 20 years, any profit made would have been negated with keeping it running smoothly.

End of rant, back to why it leaves me randomly stranded at the diesel bowser...... My Defender and travels
Post #661255 1st Nov 2017 9:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1