↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 110 Starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
322tpe

Puma 110 Starting problems
First of all hello.I`ve been lurking on here trying to pick up some info from the more experienced for a while

Last week I purchased a Puma 110 ex demo three month old from a main dealer and everythings been running fine until this afternoon when it would turned over but cut out straight away.Earlier in the day I noticed my parrot and radio(fitted by dealer)flickered on for a few seconds as if there was a loose connection so my first thought was that the two problems were connected and it was electrical.I checked all the main fuses which were ok however
Land Rover assistance have been and can`t find a solution but seem to think its something to do with the fuel pump /fuses but speaking to the main dealer they seem to think its breather pipe problem thats been mentioned on here.Vehicle was transported to dealer a few hours ago.
Just waiting for a call from the garage now but my question is I filled it up this morning and it ran sweet as a nut until the problem six hours later so does this sound feasable ?

Can`t do a lot now but any info on this problem would be appreciated for reference

Thanks

Tim
Post #6466 21st Jan 2009 6:07pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Hello and welcome Tim,I'm sure someone on here as had this, er boy are you there ? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #6470 21st Jan 2009 6:44pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Hi Tim and welcome. Not quite what mine does but I do have a friend who has had a td5 form new and had a simular problem. Took LR ages to find what was wrong. It turned out to be a small earth wire from the ecu box under the seat. It had a small screw that held it to earth on the underseat box. One of it s many brake downs and while looking under the deat she by mistake moved it and hey presto found the problem. I have never had the non starting thing, the breather has been done three times on mine. Mine only stops after a huge amount of fuel is forced into the injectors so does not sound like yours. I am sorry I can't be of more help mate. Keep us posted!
Post #6471 21st Jan 2009 7:10pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Hi Tim and welcome.

these guys on here are pretty good
hope your problem is small and sorted out
pretty quick

GOOD LOOK Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #6473 21st Jan 2009 7:21pm
Bundubasher

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
How long has it been since the parrot and radio were installed. Sounds like your anti theft/alarm system is palying up. The Puma has a very sophisticated anti theft which can be quite bugging sometimes. It is goes into what is called "flat battery mode", in this mode the engine cranks, fires and then quits after about one second. The prospective thief thinks the car is faulty then he gives up and tries to steal another. Well that is the theory anyway. This can be caused by something dicky on your electrical system. The anti theft could be mistaking a faulty radio or parrot wiring/connection and therefore it thinks the car is being "hot wired" so it goes into flat battery mode. If the radio and parrot are new installations then they could be to blame.

I hope it is something more simple.

This has happened to me 3 times already and every time I was 500 kms from nearest town. I had switch off ignition and wait about 2 minutes for the anti theft to reset.

Regards Anthony
Post #6476 21st Jan 2009 8:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Tim,

Wellcome to this forum

I will look for some faulty earth or the ECU inmobilizer issue (LR already have a bulletin of that)
I hope that the probelm will solve in an speed way

Regards Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #6477 21st Jan 2009 8:07pm
322tpe

Anthony

They`re exactly the symptoms

The radio/parrot were installed five days ago but as i say they flashed on and off briefly just like there was a loose connection seconds before the problem became apparent.This sounds like a possibility and the LR Assistance chap did mention the immobiliser as a possible cause.It seems like too much of a coincidence for this to happen a split second before the starting problem
I`ll call the dealer tomorrow and mention the flat battery mode as a strong possibility so its somewhere to start
Incidentally have you any ideas how big a job is it to reset the system ?

I want my baby back Crying or Very sad
Post #6479 21st Jan 2009 8:20pm
Bundubasher

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hello Tim. The system resets itself automatically. 1-2 minutes. The LR techies do not have to do anything to your car. The only thing they must do is find out if it is your parrot causing the problem. I am just guessing here but maybe the parrot is wired to a certain part of the "electrickery" harness or system that is interfering with the immob/alarm system.

Are you aware that you can bypass the immobiliser and alarm with your EKA code? If you happen to damage your remote as long as you have your EKA code you can deactivate/bypass the alarm and immobiliser system. If you are not aware of this I will explain further on how to deactivate the alarm system.

I hope your baby is sorted today. Thumbs Up

Anthony
Post #6486 22nd Jan 2009 10:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
322tpe

I`ve just visited the dealer and it still won`t start so it looks like the problem is something to do with the 2 min reset not working possible due to a dodgy ecu.I mentioned this to the service manager who agreed that this was the likely problem and is looking into it tomorrow.
Please explain the bypass proceedure just in case it happens again

Thanks

Tim
Post #6488 22nd Jan 2009 11:08am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
322tpe ive sent you a PM with your EKA code in, it may help in the future if you didnt already have it.

Regards Pete
Post #6489 22nd Jan 2009 12:01pm
322tpe

Thanks for all the replies and I`ll keep you updated

The one good thing to come out of this is the X type new Jaguar that they`ve provided as a replacement.I think the wifes already working on a sabotage plan for the Landy when it comes back Laughing Laughing
Post #6490 22nd Jan 2009 1:16pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Tim
you no the one
lanny or wife
lanny in my book Twisted Evil NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #6492 22nd Jan 2009 3:14pm
322tpe

Just an update

I picked the landy up this afternoon and was told that the problem was that "someone" had removed the immobiliser fuse and that was the reason it wouldn`t start Confused I pointed out that the fuses still had the plastic strips intact until the Recovery chappy removed them and he was the only one to touch them after the vehicle wouldn`t start (the first thing he did was to check the fuses) and had probably left it out when he found this wasn`t the problem and decided to recover it to the dealer
Anyay they checked the stereo/parrot wiring and everything was wired up correctly so its a bit of a mystery.They did show me a bulletin regarding intermittent non start however so the only thing I can put it down to is that

I`ve since had a crash course in bypassing the immobiliser just in case it happens again to be on the safe side Wink
Post #6530 23rd Jan 2009 5:02pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Glad you have it back!
Post #6531 23rd Jan 2009 5:25pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
The power of the forum in action.

Hopefully it won't trouble you again and you won't have to resort to a bypass.
Post #6548 24th Jan 2009 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1