↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Transfer Box Oil Level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shingwell

United Kingdom 
Transfer Box Oil Level
According to the workshop manual, the filler plug on the Puma transfer box is not supposed to be used as a level, unlike on previous landys. I don't know why they've done this - I'm guessing maybe the box is mounted at a slightly different angle.

It's a bit of a pain, as to check the oil level, you're supposed to drain the oil into a container and measure how much was in there, and then put it back! (There's supposd to be 2.3 litres.) And when filling, instead of just filling from the bottle until it comes out of the filling hole, you have to measure out 2.3 litres of oil and transfer that.

So after changing my oil today as part of my 48k miles service, and putting in exactly 2.3 litres, I thought I'd see what the actual level is so that in future I can check the level without faffing around. I made a dipper from a stout bit of wire about 6 inches long and put a right-angled bend in about 1/2 inch from the end. The 1/2 inch long piece then fits through the filler hole vertically and can be withdrawn again without tilting (which would cause the oil on it to run and give a false reading).

The result was that the oil level is at most only 2mm or so below the filler hole! Rolling Eyes
Post #64878 23rd Mar 2011 9:16pm
Toplink

United Kingdom 
Interesting. So if you fill as normal until it flows out of filler bung it aint going to be far of correct.
Out of interest I change my T/box oil every 12k. Its never over in my land rover.
2007 Defender HTop.
1952 Series One 80"
1977 Muir-Hill 111.
2014 Triumph Tiger800xc
1999 Discovery 2 td5
1982 Ransomes TSR300D.
2002 Yamaha XT600e.
2010 Freelander2 (the wifes)
2008 John Deere X140
Post #65110 25th Mar 2011 10:27pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
So doing it in the normal way should be ok then? A little extra oil won't do it any harm, as i'm doing mine soon. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #65159 26th Mar 2011 5:59pm
shingwell

United Kingdom 
Well on the one hand it's difficult to see how another couple of mm is going to make much difference, but on the other hand the workshop manual does explicitly say not to use the filler hole as the level...you pays your money and you takes your choice!

I used one of these (£7.19) to get the oil in:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...uction-gun

which is basically a big syringe. Next time I do mine I think I will fill until it flows out of the filler in the traditional way and then use the syringe to suck a little out again just to be sure - that will be easier than messing around measuring 2.3l.

Incidentally mine's an '08 130 in case that makes a difference.
Post #65174 26th Mar 2011 8:59pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Those tools have been around - i have one - experience taught me they are neither accurate or my favourite tool.

If you want a top tip...buy one of those garden pressure sprayers...fill it, pump it, stick in the hose and press go...trust me, you will wonder how you did it any other way.

Unfortuantely im about to do a 12k full fluids service on the disco, cant say i want to Crying or Very sad atleast the gearbox has extended life fluids in! Mike
Post #65183 26th Mar 2011 9:28pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
I don't worry about mine seen as it's all leaked out the rear seal through the park brake Thud Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #65187 26th Mar 2011 9:35pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
willy eckerslike wrote:
I don't worry about mine seen as it's all leaked out the rear seal through the park brake Thud

I dont either i sold it Rolling with laughter Mike
Post #65188 26th Mar 2011 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1