↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Dog guards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Dog guards
Hi all, we don't have a dog, but I will be stacking a lot of luggage in the back for a holiday soon. I'm thinking of getting a dog guard (VUB500510?) to prevent any of that luggage becoming intimately acquainted with my children's heads (or mine and the wife's for that matter!).

First question - presumably the standard LR guard up to this job? The boxes etc. will not be likely to be as heavy as a black lab...

Second question - £241.37?! Shocked is there an alternative which is sensibly priced given:

Third question - ease of fitting, I'm tending towards the Land Rover genuine one since apparently it's easy to fit and remove when not in use...?
Post #646624 27th Aug 2017 6:49pm
Romadog

The guard has to be strong and meet rules for load restraint - it will also potentially save your lives and you cough at £241 !! Question
And its designed to be easy to remove !
Post #646631 27th Aug 2017 7:23pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Hi
I have just fitted one last weekend to my new (to me) 110 USW. I can vouch for the strength it is a well engineered bit of kit. It was a bit of a fight to fit. My tip is to assemble it all loosely then tighten up when it is all in place. Believe me that's easier said than done but allow a couple of solid hours and you should have it in. Tonight we test fitted all of the stuff my Son will be taking to University in a couple of weeks time and the cargo / dog guard will keep all of it stacked to the roof away from me!

Click image to enlarge
20170819_160316_resized by Richard Holmes, on Flickr
Post #646638 27th Aug 2017 7:46pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Romadog wrote:
it will also potentially save your lives and you cough at £241 !! Question

Romadog, I'm well aware of the merits of the "cost vs. life" argument, thank you. But I'm driving a Defender - it has no air bags, the closest to a safety feature it gets is ABS. I could have bought about 3 cars with 5 star Euro Ncap ratings for the cost of my truck, money is not really the issue here.

My issue is more that one for a BMW X5 is £135. Paddock Spares will do one for a Disco 2 for less than £100. Why is a Defender version so much more expensive!?

seriesonenut wrote:
I can vouch for the strength it is a well engineered bit of kit. It was a bit of a fight to fit. My tip is to assemble it all loosely then tighten up when it is all in place.

Thanks for the tip!
Post #646649 27th Aug 2017 8:23pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
There are various after market ones , travell for example and of course there will no doubt some on the auction sites
I think the OEM is certainly for me the best fitting one , nothing worse than an annoying rattle
Post #646656 27th Aug 2017 8:37pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Fair point Stanley - any ideas where the best price is to be had? Duckworth as a site sponsor?
Post #646670 27th Aug 2017 9:16pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I fitted the genuine one to my TD5 110. It is a good quality item and it only takes a minute to remove the top part if needed.
Some of the aftermarket ones are one piece, or need holes drilling to fit.

I have found LR parts prices to be very high, it changed when Tata took them over, the TD5 rev counter for instance went up from £85 to £280. And a TD5 CAT front pipe went up from £250 to £900!!

I did email Land Rover about it and l did get a reply, to their credit, but it was full of corporate guff about the cost of sourcing spares for obsolete models.

Last edited by lightning on 28th Aug 2017 8:33pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #646725 28th Aug 2017 8:29am
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
I bought the travall one. Excellent piece f kit and the top half can be removed if required.

As for protection this is mine loaded with wood.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #646795 28th Aug 2017 6:22pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Right, got one from Dan from Duckworth Parts but I've got myself in a pickle with the mounting bolts for the bottom brackets. These are the two which are next to the seatbelt mountings on the floor of the load area, they sit in what looks like a fabric patch at a slight angle from the seatbelt mountings which are square.

Basically it's a 13mm bolt head but I could use a steer on the length and diameter of the bolt shaft, I don't have access to part catalogues etc and trying to search for it online has proved a nightmare so far!

Also I can't measure it myself as the place where it sticks out underneath is very awkward to get to, just above the chassis rail in front of the rear wheel, which is presumably how they got washed with road crud in the first place... could some kind soul help with the detail on them please?!
Post #648937 8th Sep 2017 7:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
A 13mm head will be M8. If it passes through without interfering with anything else then just buy a longish one and don't worry about it. Alternatively, as bolts cost pennies anyway, get a selection and try them until you find one that you're happy with. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #648948 8th Sep 2017 7:54am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Thank you - this is why I love this forum - someone always knows the answer and there's never any patronising for dopey questions like mine!
Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #648966 8th Sep 2017 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1