↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma heater - again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Puma heater - again!
There have been several posts in the past about the Puma heater's strange quirks, namely:-

1) a significant difference in the temperature of the air on the left and right sides of the car,

2) the temperature of the air fluctuating hugely according to engine/vehicle speed (or maybe just randomly) without the heater controls being touched.

3) the output is generally either scorching or freezing with no inbetween.

Since I normally am alone in my Defender, it has taken me a long time to realise that when the air temp fluctuates, it seems only to do it on the RH footwell, the LH remains fairly constant. The LH is also generally noticeably hotter than the RH side. Last night, for example, with the knob poitning to the 10 o'clock position, there was scorching air coming out on the LH side and freezing air on the RH side - the difference was so great that I wouldn't have though it possible if I hadn't felt it!

Service bulletin SM39653 claims to address the heater imbalance issue but states that it is applicable to left hand drive vehicles only for some reason that I really don't understand, since as far as I know the heater is exactly the same on both LH and RH drive.

Can anyone tell me if this mod will sole the imbalance issue on a RH drive, and will it also dolve the fluctuation problem?

Has anyone actually had this mod done and if so can they report on its success?

It is a fairly major job to remove the heater matrix and before I do it I would like to know if there is a reasonable chance of success!

Thanks.
Post #56000 1st Feb 2011 11:19am
Jaeger

Norway 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Im also having the same issues on my 2011 Puma. Worst is the fact that the temp drops from warm to freezing when acc from 20km/h to 60km/h (or from 10 to 30 mph if you will). When driving faster than 60km/h, only freeezing cold air comes out, and there is no chance of getting the temp up in the cabin (this is when driving in about 0 degrees celcuis, or at the freezing point (dont know farenheit, sorry). The webasto works fine, and the heater too (also when running without webasto) when at standstill. Anyone?

Any form for help will be VERY APPRECIATED!!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Stian from Norway
Post #63410 12th Mar 2011 3:51pm
Jaeger

Im also having the same issues on my 2011 Puma. Worst is the fact that the temp drops from warm to freezing when acc from 20km/h to 60km/h (or from 10 to 30 mph if you will). When driving faster than 60km/h, only freeezing cold air comes out, and there is no chance of getting the temp up in the cabin (this is when driving in about 0 degrees celcuis, or at the freezing point (dont know farenheit, sorry). The webasto works fine, and the heater too (also when running without webasto) when at standstill. Anyone?

Any form for help will be VERY APPRECIATED!!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Stian from Norway
Post #63411 12th Mar 2011 3:52pm
johnnyturbo2002

Spain 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
I had this problem and my dealer replaced the core, it blows so hot now that if it is on full, I need to have the window cracked a bit for some cold air. Ask if they can replace it...you won't regret it. 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
IN the hunt for another Puma for the wifey!
2008 Kia Sorento LX 😁 2.5crdi
Post #63957 16th Mar 2011 5:50pm
Jaeger

johnnyturbo2002 wrote:
I had this problem and my dealer replaced the core

Thanks for your reply! What part is the "core"? Do you have a picture or a part no.?
Post #63959 16th Mar 2011 6:10pm
lrMike

Greece 
My friend, the heater problems that you point out are exactly the same with my MY10 defender and its the number one reason for wife complains!!
The funny part of the story is when I first got the def I arranged a trip to the Northern and mountainous part of Greece with my wife and her parents around freezing temperatures. They were complaining all the time about the cold air inside the car and when I tried to get things more warm my right leg "caught fire"!!
The temp flactuations are also a big problem so I try to keep constant revs in order not to freeze or die from heatstroke Smile

I think we all love them for those small defects that keep reminding us that our defs are alive and not just a computerised perfectly balanced politically correct but dead Toyota.

Mike
Post #64094 17th Mar 2011 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1