↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > GAP insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
GAP insurance
Who knew a simple topic was so difficult!

Anyone know anything about it... Mike
Post #63928 16th Mar 2011 3:23pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
depends on shut lines I think 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #63933 16th Mar 2011 4:10pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's free with NFU Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #63938 16th Mar 2011 4:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TC

United Kingdom 
Re: GAP insurance
mse wrote:
Who knew a simple topic was so difficult!

Anyone know anything about it...

Insurance for your insurance..........what a wonderful world we live in! Essentially this is an industry built around the principal that insurance companies will never pay out the full retail value of any write off, therefore you need some sort of protection against the difference.

My indy finance broker suggested I try these guy's -

http://www.shortfallcover.co.uk/

Quoting and purchasing is dead easy; I have never had cause to use Shortfall Cover but he reportes that their policies do pay out as per T's & C's (I consider my broker to be a good friend who's opinions I trust) - the GAP sold by dealers in my experience is ridiculously expensive.

One important point to remember though is that most insurance companies operate a return to invoice price policy on brand new cars for the first 12 months - this may be enough for you. If not, buy a 4 year policy.

I personally despise the principal but would never be without it, I have bought GAP through the above now for my last 4 cars, they have started offering discounts for new policies from existing customers.

* Please take the above as my views only and not financial advice.
Post #63939 16th Mar 2011 4:46pm
mse

Thanks TC...i shall check them out.

Definately convinced a 3yr policy for the sport is the way forward, not bothered on the defender as devaluing wasnt an issue (unless it doesnt make it the final 3 days!) - but for the sport i think its more important.

I was going for 3 years but i keep getting lost in return to invoice and basically return to new car etc polocies...i think ill end up with return to invoice...next to choose the value!

I had been looking at: http://www.surfandprotect.com/gap-insurance-quote.asp as i had heard good things.

Quote:
sold by dealers in my experience
screwed by dealers at nearly £1000 for a policy i can get for £200 Exclamation

Quote:
depends on shut lines I think
forgot i was talking to defender owners Whistle Rolling with laughter

Quote:
It's free with NFU

Ill look into that...what ive seen is most are only full replacement new car - like for like - in the first year only Mike
Post #63943 16th Mar 2011 4:53pm
TC

United Kingdom 
NFU is two years so is worth considering (obviously accepting you would insure through them). I am with LV on my 1 series and they do first 12 months.

Retail get's you a new car equivalent where as invoice gets you your money back; a good example of retail being a better bet would be in the case of a D3 and a D4. Say you had your D3 HSE written off after 3 years, retail would buy you a D4 HSE whereas return to invoice would pay for an XS (or whatever the D3 HSE equivelant car is currently price wise....if you get my drift)

On the flip side though you will pay more for a retail policy over invoice.....to be perfectly honest though you may as well go for retail if you go the non dealer sold shortfall route, it would probably be £100 more that the invoice policy but still likely to be £700 odd cheaper than buying it from a dealer.

I only ever buy 2 years.....haven't kept hold of a car for more than that so far!
Post #63945 16th Mar 2011 5:05pm
mse

Ive gone with Admiral now - by far the better quote...ok not by far but by about £20!

My plan is to change between 2 and 3 years - certainly arent thinking going outside of warranty as i sit here now!

The added complication is discount...i get it and it skews the invoice price...i had one recommend retail as i would get a new car and not consider discount and i had the other say exactly the opposite which lead me to ask for real world experience!

Price and cover of the company you suggested seems good. Mike
Post #63946 16th Mar 2011 5:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1