↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > How would I import a car from the Netherlands?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
How would I import a car from the Netherlands?
I have seen a classic car I would like to buy from the Netherlands.

Do you know what paperwork or legal hoops I would need to jump through to get it back over here! It is from a private seller, what would be the best way to pay for it safely?

Thanks Chris
Post #63511 13th Mar 2011 11:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chris h

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
As the vehicle is coming from within the EU and presumably has Dutch plates there should be no issues.
I imported my 110 SVX from the Netherlands two years ago as a used car. I had to have a VOSA inspection as it was left hand drive AND had not been registered in the Netherlands or any EU country.
I suggest you contact DVLA in the first instance. Visit your local office if you can, as both the DVLA and VOSA websites had out-of-date information on them when I did it.
I also wrote to Customs in Dover about importing a vehicle. They answered that no VAT was payable and were not interested.
I insured the vehicle through Highway Insurance at Swintons without plates - just a VIN number.
Between two private individuals, probably the only safe method of payment would be a bankers draft handed over to the vendor on collection of vehicle.
I hope this helps. 2009 110 SVX 60th Anniversary - Santorini Black
Post #63523 13th Mar 2011 12:55pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Chris, I will give DVLA/customs and Swinton a call in the morning.

It is a 1962 SAAB 2 stroke.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #63529 13th Mar 2011 1:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
in addition to Chris' info. contact VCA and they should be able to tell you who you can get a "Certificate of Conformity" from they will give you telephone numbers of manufacturers - if you have one of these it makes the import process much easier. (bit like an mot)

also you will need to do the following:

1. speedometer needs MPH and KPH
2. Fog/reversing lights need to meet UK specifications (sides)
3. headlights need to be RHD
4. side indicators need to be present
5. seatbelts need to be fitted

have a look at the VCA web site and call them they are really helpful ... (like Chris H)
Post #63595 13th Mar 2011 9:16pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info Thumbs Up
Post #63690 14th Mar 2011 6:21pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Have you not bought a defender yet? Laughing
Post #63697 14th Mar 2011 6:51pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Nooo!! I declined an offer for the asking on the Jag last Friday after deciding not to sell it (It's too nice! and my wife agrees). SZRacers recent woes and others problems are really putting me off. If it was a business car on funding with a warranty and something you would chop in again 3 years time it would be OK but I want a Defender for life and a new Defender which is problematic that can also start rusting after only a few months (bulkheads/cappings etc have been recently mentioned Sad ) has really put me off. It's too much money for me for this standard of product especially when I can rebuild one myself for roughly half the price and do it properly with galv chassis/bulkhead etc. I would also have 5-10K to spend on a really good Series one, another 4 classic bikes, etc etc.

So I am going to complete the rebuild on my Series 2 and will probably sell it to start a rebuild on a Defender. I'm not sure but I do know I cannot justify 25K on a Defender - it's too much for me and I don't like taking out loans - we'll see what happens. I would like to prise a neighbours mint 30,000 mile TDi off him for 9-10K Wink I never go into London and wouldn't use the Landy for long journeys so a TDi makes sense especially financially.

I won't be on this forum much now but will look in from time to time to see how you are all getting on Thumbs Up

Chris
Post #63708 14th Mar 2011 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1