↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 24 <123 ... 141516 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This week I've been painting yet another wheel in preparation for some wheel and tyre juggling to come:

Click image to enlarge

I also found a better box for my jack and associated paraphernalia - a 19 litre Really Useful Box that sits nicely on a wheel box:

Click image to enlarge

Then today I've made a start on kitting out the rear load bay. Firstly, I attacked it with a sharpened scraper and a sander to remove as much of the old glue as possible. Then, after much measuring, I drilled holes for the first of the individual rear seats and new seatbelts. I've found some nice reinforced mounts for the seat belts, allegedly FIA approved, and have made some rubber gaskets for them and the seats themselves to separate them from the aluminium wheel box:

Click image to enlarge

Redundant holes in the tub were sealed from underneath with some offcuts of aluminium and Sikaflex:

Click image to enlarge

Then I covered most of the tub floor and sides with Silentcoat. Still got the nearside wheelbox to prep and cover but I'm aiming to finish one side before moving to the other. The seat isn't yet fixed in place in this picture:

Click image to enlarge

Where the seat and belts are to be fixed to the tub, I've cut away the Silentcoat. I've also made some 6mm nylon spacers for the seat belt mounts to lift the anchor points up above the insulation and carpet:

Click image to enlarge

The wheelboxes and tub sides will be covered with 6mm closed cell foam before the whole lot, including the bulkhead, is carpeted. I hope to get some more of this done during the course of the week. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #635199 2nd Jul 2017 9:28pm
L110CDL

England 
The back is looking better already LRA Thumbs Up Really like the way you do things Wink Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #635206 2nd Jul 2017 9:37pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Great progress LRA.. I imagine scraping that old glue off was a tedious job Rolling Eyes
It will be much quieter with the silent coat. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #635209 2nd Jul 2017 9:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, thanks folks. Yes, removing the glue was a pain although I settled for just removing the loose and/or lumpy bits in the end. There was dust everywhere Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #635329 3rd Jul 2017 2:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

Progress has been oh so slow due to doing it in fits and starts in the evenings, but I've finally got one of my new seats in.

Having covered everything in Silentcoat, I put a layer of 6mm foam on the side of the tub and then covered with the first bit of carpet. Positioning the foam was tricky as the glue on it is as sticky as a really sticky thing but getting the carpet in the right place was a nightmare. The carpet I'd chosen is a stretchy stuff a bit like Veltrim and the instructions said to apply spray glue to both it and the surface it's to be stuck to. All very well but as soon as the glued carpet gets near the surface it wants to stick and not let go! Very difficult with anything but a very small piece. Anyway, I persevered and got there in the end:

Click image to enlarge

Next was the even bigger piece to cover the wheel box. I quickly abandoned the idea of foam here as it just had too much give in it, so the carpet was to be stuck straight to the Silentcoat. Where I'd cut that away for the seat to be mounted, I covered with masking tape so that the carpet wouldn't be permanently stuck. After much swearing, I eventually had a piece of carpet with a very complicated shape glued to the wheel box mostly as I'd intended. It was good enough, anyway! I then punched holes through the carpet where the bolts were to go and positioned the seat parts to cut around the mounting brackets, which was less difficult than I'd thought it would be. This left me with neat cut-outs like this:

Click image to enlarge

With the help of my son, the seat and seat belt were bolted into position using the rubber gaskets shown earlier, stainless nuts and bolts and nylon washers for isolation.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the exception of the seat belt mounts, I took care to install the bolts from beneath so that the exposed threads are inside. I've just ordered some black nut caps so will probably trim them down a little to finish them off.

Click image to enlarge

My son declared it a success and much better than the previous bench seats. Just got to do the other side now, before covering the bulkhead and finally the floor. Darren

Post #636771 10th Jul 2017 4:29pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Fantastic job! Thumbs Up

Space to stash some goodies on the wheel arch now Smile not to mention more comfortable and safer! Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #636772 10th Jul 2017 4:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
fantastic job that! was the carpet pre cut? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #636786 10th Jul 2017 5:45pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I can really recommend Mud Stuff's bulkhead removal bar, really transformed my 300Tdi.

...but if you are ever thinking about it, do it now before you fit any carpet as the swarf goes everywhere.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/mud-stu...l-bar.html
Post #636792 10th Jul 2017 6:15pm
Rusty380

United Kingdom 
Lovely bit of work there! How much silentcoat did you need To soundproof the whole rear?

Im going to be plying mine and that stuff looks as good as anything!
Post #636802 10th Jul 2017 6:36pm
L110CDL

England 
Great and thorough job there as usual LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #636826 10th Jul 2017 7:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile

trickster5000 wrote:
Fantastic job! Thumbs Up

Space to stash some goodies on the wheel arch now Smile not to mention more comfortable and safer!

Absolutely. See my picture of a Really Useful Box above. I'm also toying with the idea of fixing some cargo rail to the visible parts of the tub capping forward of the seats to provide some more convenient fixing points.

Procta wrote:
fantastic job that! was the carpet pre cut?

Nope, there was lots of measuring and scribbling on paper to work out the correct shape, made more difficult by my desire to do the wheel box in one piece rather than have a join.

Tiger wrote:
I can really recommend Mud Stuff's bulkhead removal bar, really transformed my 300Tdi.

I have considered one of those but in the end decided against it. I'm quite content with it the way it is.

Rusty380 wrote:
Lovely bit of work there! How much silentcoat did you need To soundproof the whole rear?

I started with a box of 20 sheets and have done the roof and drivers door as shown earlier in the thread and the rear tub as shown above. I've got 8 and a bit sheets left and I'm hoping that will be just enough to do the other wheel box. I'm probably going to need another couple of sheets to do the passenger door when I get to that part. Darren

Post #636838 10th Jul 2017 8:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

I recently noticed the dreaded radial oil streaks on the rear right hand wheel, indicating a leaking drive flange gasket, and also noticed a lot of rear axle noise at around 50mph, so this evening I sorted it out.

First off, I drained the axle oil, which looked ok although I think the level was a bit low. Next, removed the five bolts and whipped off the drive flange, which revealed a very tatty oil soaked gasket. A quick clean up of the faces with some fine wire wool, on with the new gasket and a drop of Loctite on the bolts and it was good to go:

Click image to enlarge

Before refilling the axle with 75w/90, I took the opportunity to fit a magnetic drain plug:

Click image to enlarge

A quick blast up the road revealed a much quieter axle and a nice clean wheel Cool Darren

Post #637392 13th Jul 2017 8:22pm
LandRoverAnorak

More progress on the interior this weekend! Spent a happy (not) couple of hours hack sawing off four bolts from the old seat belts on the NS wheel box and scraping off as much of the old carpet glue as possible Rolling Eyes Then plugged all of the redundant holes with some bits of ali strip Sikaflexed to the underside to end up with this:

Click image to enlarge

Then followed some careful measuring and drilling of new holes for the second new seat and belt:

Click image to enlarge

Next came more Silentcoat - I just had enough to finish this area and will need some more for the passenger door and seat box. Cut outs as before for where the seat and belt will sit:

Click image to enlarge

Finally for today, I cut myself a new rubber mat from a larger sheet. It's deliberately cut oversize for the time being until I've got all of the carpet in and can then trim it to suit:

Click image to enlarge

It's 3mm wide-ribbed rubber and is ideal for this purpose and only £30 for a 2.0 x 1.2m sheet. One of the offcuts has found a place on the wheel box forward of the first new seat:

Click image to enlarge

I hope to get the rest of the foam and carpet in during the course of this week Very Happy Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 4th Aug 2017 12:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #637884 16th Jul 2017 8:51pm
L110CDL

England 
Good progress there LRA Thumbs Up nice bonus with the rubber mat under the box, nice protection for the carpet Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #637893 16th Jul 2017 9:16pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
getting there! rubber looks OEM! Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #637923 17th Jul 2017 5:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 24 <123 ... 141516 ... 222324>