↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 24 <123 ... 131415 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Agree, its all coming together nicely now, great idea with the light holders Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #628985 4th Jun 2017 8:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks folks. Looking forward to using it next weekend, rather than just working on it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #629039 5th Jun 2017 7:30am
LandRoverAnorak

It's been a hell of a week! Dunsfold, last weekend, was excellent as always with more Land Rovers than you can shake a stick at. On the way home, however, I suffered a puncture less than a mile from home. My Avon Rangemasters are tubed tyres, so I heard the bang and it was on the rim in seconds. I was just on the approach to a roundabout, so had to continue for about 50 yards to get somewhere safe.

Click image to enlarge

No obvious cause but the tyre was trashed. The only saving grace was that I was carrying my newly assembled jack kit! I hadn't been carrying one at all until last weekend Shocked

Click image to enlarge

The good news was that a quick browse of eBay let me pick up a virtually new replacement on a rim:

Click image to enlarge

On Monday after work, I set off to collect two new front doors from a breaker just north of Reading that I'd used before. The doors really are new, taken off a chassis cab that was destined to become an armoured vehicle, and are complete with all of the trim and other fittings:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The breaker even allowed me to trade in a passenger door that I'd bought from him a few months earlier.

Unfortunately though, I came home to this:

Click image to enlarge

I've no idea how this happened. I reported it to the police as criminal damage but it is extremely odd. There was no sign of the door being opened and nothing was missing. I don't even think entry had been attempted because as soon as I tried the glass just fell out of the frame. Anyway, it was a bloody nuisance and a real pain to clean up - broken glass gets everywhere!

That little incident forced my hand about what to tackle next. It wasn't my intention to launch straight into swapping doors as I need to paint them and I've got other priorities, but there was no point trying to replace the glass in the existing door. Consequently, some of this week has been spent stripping the new drivers' door of its' furniture and fittings and then today, prepping and painting it. Prepping has included sanding down the existing finish with a random orbit sander, masking all the bits that are not to be painted, grey primer, flatting with 800 grit wet and dry, and then brush painting with coach enamel (I did spray some of the fiddly bits with a rattle can):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I suspect that the coach enamel will also need flatting off and a second coat but I'm not sure if I'll get that done this evening - depends how quickly the paint dries, although the 30 degree heat is helping! If I do get the painting finished today then I hope to fit it tomorrow. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #631947 17th Jun 2017 4:15pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I recon some fanny was disturbed when they did that, hence why they didn't get any further.
It will look the part once those doors are fitted ,shame we don't have a breaker as such like that up here. Id be buying some odds and sods for mine! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #631967 17th Jun 2017 6:27pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I recon some fanny was disturbed when they did that, hence why they didn't get any further.
It will look the part once those doors are fitted ,shame we don't have a breaker as such like that up here. Id be buying some odds and sods for mine! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #631968 17th Jun 2017 6:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Maybe. I live at the end of quiet cul-de-sac and the 90 isn't easily visible form the road though, so it's all a bit strange.

The door had dried really quickly so it's now had its' second coat of paint. Looking good for tomorrow Very Happy Darren

Post #631980 17th Jun 2017 7:07pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
don't kid your self on that mind, we live on a main road with no trouble etc, Though we have CCTV, for my dads caravan. They still had a go at my little metro, that car had no ICE at all. If it wasn't for the cut off switch system I had in place at the time, they would they may have got the car. They had bent the door back and unlocked it, nothing was stolen though. So either they clocked the cameras and done one or realised that the car didn't have a fancy radio system in.
I had removed that and put in a RIO radio dash blank in, if they had got away with the car, I can tell you this LandRoverAnorak, it would have killed them. Laughing It was one tooled up car and it would have had you if you took the Censored out of it. 160bhp in a tin can raises hell. Twisted Evil Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #632022 17th Jun 2017 11:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

The heat last weekend put me off doing anything significant but today was the big day for the new drivers door.

One thing that caught me out whilst re-assembling the door was the door handles. I'd forgotten that the later ones are different to accommodate the 'single key' locks. Fortunately, I had a new spare old style handle to hand and a set of new locks that it was always my intention to fit with new doors.

With the new handle bolted in place, I took the opportunity to add some more sound deadening before sealing up the innards again:

Click image to enlarge

Then, the new style foam water shedder was re-fitted:

Click image to enlarge

With the help of my darling wife, the new door was offered up to the hinges (which had already been renewed) and bolted on with new stainless bolts, after which the door card was re-fitted:

Click image to enlarge

When putting it all back together, I'd re-fitted the seal to the lower edge of the door, but I had to take it off again as it wouldn't allow the door to shut. I'll have to re-visit that another time.

With the door on the hinges, I had to make a few adjustments to get it to line up, including reducing the shimming behind the latch:

Click image to enlarge

It now shuts easily with a very satisfying thunk Cool

And the finished result. As suspected, the new paintwork, despite being brushed, is better than the rest of the vehicle! Something else that'll have to be attended to in due course Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #633316 24th Jun 2017 5:20pm
L110CDL

England 
Good looking job there LRA, nice lines on the door, good fit Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #633539 25th Jun 2017 8:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Very Happy

Spent some of today stripping out old seat belts and lining from the rear tub. Two out of four lap belts removed and two out of four bolts that needed to be hack sawed off Rolling Eyes

Stripped out most of what I think is stable matting that had been glued to the floor and wheel boxes and then spent ages with a scraper trying to remove the glue and various detritus that had built up under the matts. It's all going to get covered with Silentcoat but the remnants of the old glue are less than ideal. Anybody know a way to remove what I think is a latex type glue?

Click image to enlarge

Next job is to position and drill holes for two new individual side facing seat and new lap belts before Silentcoat and carpet. Darren

Post #633568 25th Jun 2017 9:37pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
I'll be watching with extra interest then as I have thought about fitting 2 Td5 fold up seats instead of the bench seats so I could fit a barebox storage chest up against the bulkhead. The td5 seats also have the added benefit of safety with lap belts and they're more comfortable than the bench seats which you sort of have to perch/squat on.

Waaay down the list though as I priced it up at over £400 for 2 seats and the storage box.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #633571 25th Jun 2017 9:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

I was very lucky in that I picked up a couple of virtually new seats for only £45. They're going to go near the back with space for 'stuff' in front of them. I might even go the Barebox route although I'm in two minds about fixed storage. Darren

Post #633574 25th Jun 2017 9:55pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Just a thought on removing the bottom seal on the new door. Did you have the seal on the sill at the same time as the door one? If so you only need one, either the door or sill seal. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #633582 25th Jun 2017 10:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, I did wonder if that was the case. Unfortunately, the fixings for the original sill-mounted seals are completely rusted so I'll leave it as it is for now. I also suspect that the sill rails themselves are shot and will need replacing. When I tackle that particular job I'll change it to suit the newer door-mounted seals. Darren

Post #633612 26th Jun 2017 6:35am
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking great there LRA, I think the paint on defenders is poor anyway so I think any DIY job will be better. The factory paint job looks well thin to me. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #634773 30th Jun 2017 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 24 <123 ... 131415 ... 222324>