↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Bogwert and F's D90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bogwert

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
AndyT66 wrote:
Well hello, just spotted this as well. I too have a 53 plate in need of some lower door repair. So far I've removed the door cards, plastic sheet and removed the bottom rubber strip and drilled out the rivets. I've used por15 silver rust paint, a perfect match for zambezi silver with excellent results, followed by dintrol wax in the lower door cavity. I've riveted new rubber door seals and have the new water sheet to add next. Cheers

Nice one AndyT Thumbs Up

Our issue is that one door can be treated like you have, the other.... I need to grow some metal on it!

I know a guy in Dundee that does some car body welding, so I think I'm going to have to see him and get it patched up first. Chris

2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW

Last edited by bogwert on 29th Mar 2017 11:03am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #612836 28th Mar 2017 12:30pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
That door is a pre-2005 one, so prone to rot. The post-2005 ones are all-steel and much more resistant to it but not galvanised, just zintec coated. Still 100x better than the one ones though.

Bogwert, don't worry too much about the doors. Both doors on my 90 were rotten through when I bought it, that was 9 years ago and they're still rotten. They can wait if necessary - I've been meaning to get a second set and rebuild them to swap over but keep running out of round tuits...

Looks like you had fun in the lakes, some cracking lanes there for sure. If you head south again and you have space for another let me know.
Post #612907 28th Mar 2017 6:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, thanks. For some reason, I thought they'd changed the side doors at the same time as the rear door. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #612951 28th Mar 2017 8:59pm
bogwert

Retroanaconda wrote:
That door is a pre-2005 one, so prone to rot. The post-2005 ones are all-steel and much more resistant to it but not galvanised, just zintec coated. Still 100x better than the one ones though.

Bogwert, don't worry too much about the doors. Both doors on my 90 were rotten through when I bought it, that was 9 years ago and they're still rotten. They can wait if necessary - I've been meaning to get a second set and rebuild them to swap over but keep running out of round tuits...

Looks like you had fun in the lakes, some cracking lanes there for sure. If you head south again and you have space for another let me know.

Hi Retroanaconda,

To be fair, the doors are on the bottom of the list at the moment, as long as they stay shut and I cant fall through them. They can wait!

Yeah, I'll give you a shout next time we are heading down! Thumbs Up Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #613017 29th Mar 2017 9:15am
bogwert

Finally uploaded a few videos from the other weekend. Smile

One of the 90 and the other of SWR's D3 showing us how its done... with electronics and buttons! Laughing

Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #615761 10th Apr 2017 12:15pm
bogwert

Nobody said it would be quick....
A short update from the past few weeks.

The idea of having a full rear mat for Rab has been on the cards for a while, and during a spontaneous spending spree a few months back. One was in the post! along with a set of MSS internal rear window guards. Very Happy

Now for the quick and simple job of taking out.. well just about everything from the rear of the 90!

Seats, seat belt bars, trim and a lot of rusty bolts! Spending a lot of time snapping rusty ones - decided to replace them all with stainless.

While taking everything out it seemed worth while to give everything a decent clean too and touch up with some anti rust paint!

Project new rear was GO! Wink

Old seats out

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Given a good Vax-ing!

Click image to enlarge

Trim out too

Click image to enlarge

New guards in - At least the dog can be left with the windows open and no one can get in or out!

Click image to enlarge

New mat in and loops pulled through

Click image to enlarge

Even have a cover for Rab's seat!

Click image to enlarge

Also added two new LED Festoons and replaced the broken light cover that was hanging off!.
The extra light from then LED's is excellent!

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #626536 24th May 2017 7:57am
bogwert

IT PASSED ITS MOT! YEAAHHHH!
Final update,

IT PASSED ITS MOT! YESSS! Thumbs Up

Not that I was worried one bit of course! The reliability of Defenders is re renown... right?
Only issue was a minor fuel leak, which they couldn't find the source of... ah well a pass is a pass right! Very Happy

Got it home and noticed there was a few leaks on the path... pretty sure they weren't there before.

Hand in the engine straight to the Fuel Pressure Regulator... leaking! Rolling Eyes

Luckily, we happen to have a LR FPR for a 2003 TD5... What are the chances! Originally from the last owner, he brought it for a garage to fit, only to be told it wasn't required. So he threw it in with the sale.. convenient!

So a Sunday afternoon was spent changing that over. A relatively easy job, apart from the bottom bolt that is hidden away! And getting the torque wrench in after is a bit of a pain!

Old. Pretty oily too.. thats on the list!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Pretty grimy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New one in place, nae leaks!

Click image to enlarge

Final part of our Landy spending spree - A set of heavy duty jump leads, recover rope and shackles from 4x4Overlander and this lovely green peddle lock. Just to help add a bit of deterrent to anyone looking in!

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #626540 24th May 2017 8:10am
YOLO110

Australia 
An observation... That pedal lock...? Rolling Eyes

Surely it's still very possible to steal/drive the Defender away with that fitted.

You can certainly change gears without using the clutch and you can also press the brake pedal down to stop/slow down as that would just dip the clutch for the period the brake pedal was depressed.

A lock that covered both the accelerator and the brake would seem much more effective I believe.

Am I missing something here? YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #626679 24th May 2017 7:40pm
bogwert

... hummm.... yeah I guess it still is. Even if you left it in gear you would still be able to get out of gear but rolling it..... I'll try and see if fits the break and accelerator. Confused

The lock has a long bar on the rear that sits on the floor, so you can't press anything down. Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #626682 24th May 2017 7:46pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
I do like that rear mat, a bit torn on my own build now... 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #626690 24th May 2017 8:13pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Get one Kit... I have one.. easy enough to clean.. helps with the noise, heavy and hard wearing.. Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #626692 24th May 2017 8:28pm
bogwert

I'd second what Profyaffle said Kit!

They are a bit of a pain to fit but once they are in, makes the whole rear look cleaner! Also means you don't spend hours hoovering dog hair and mud out of the carpet! Laughing

Also love the big Land Rover logo on the floor too! Very Happy Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #626765 25th May 2017 8:07am
bogwert

POWERR!!

A quick update, after spending a week traveling around the North Coast 500 it became apparent that A. The Cigarette Lighter in the front was a pain in the Censored the USB adapter had to sit just perfect, other whys it wouldn't connect properly! B. A fridge in the back would have been useful!

Commence project rewire! Very Happy

A quick search brought up a duel 'waterproof' USB port. (not sure how waterproof it is but there are only a few door leaks so it should be ok!)

Down to B&Q for a bit of wire and a crimping set.

Took out the old and replaced with the new! Also rerouted the current socket around the to the back so a small fridge could be powered, and the tyre inflator can still be used.

It was all going so well until the fuse blew. To which I then spent a good hour trying to find it (google lies). Banging Head
So if anyone needs to find the fuse for the Cigarette Lighter it's number 16 in the passenger fuse box (in front of the gears). Also its a 20A fuse, not 15A that the previous owner had used.

The hunt for the mystery 'google fuse'

Click image to enlarge

All finished!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #635246 3rd Jul 2017 8:22am
bogwert

A wee round up after a few months!

Unfortunately due to lack of funds, work on the 90 has been slow, with only major issues being sorted.

Clutch and Chassis.

After a wee visit to MMP the clutch has now been replaced. The main cause of the squealing from the clutch was due a cracked fork and a busted bearing! Also the ball on the fork pin... was more of a cone.

Click image to enlarge

Finally a smooth sounding clutch!

Next job was the sealing the chassis before winter. With all the salt on the Scottish roads, the surface rust was appearing slowly! For this it went down for an Extreme Buzzweld treatment at Engine 710 in South Queensferry!
A top job done by Ben at Engine 710. The seal was well covered and he hasn't skimped on any areas! A cracking job, and in a even better location! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Final wee job at home was adding a 2nd washer jet to the windscreen, now supplying some actual spray to the windows!
Also hunting around underneath at the Diff Lock linage to find why it wasn't working... I'll let the eagle eyed of you guess what's missing!

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #666189 22nd Nov 2017 10:07am
bogwert

Houston... We have Diff Lock!

Well that was easy.. ish! With little to no access of the Diff lock linkage from under the 90, it was time to go in top down... only the wee gearbox tunnel in the way.

and with 13 screws to whip out... easy... if 10 of the screws weren't rusted to hell and not wanting to come out or cheesing off the moment any force was put on them!

So 10 Dremel'ed screws later! Finally managed to get in there with the new Diif Lock bolt!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ordered new stainless ones in the hope they will last a bit longer. Whipped it back together, nice and simple... sort of!

And now the yellow light of Diff Lock happiness shines with ease!

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #670642 13th Dec 2017 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>