Home > Puma (Tdci) > Sudden loss of power when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Sudden loss of power when towing
Hi there!

Happens to me one day at the end of the trip when towing my pop-up (1.2 tons) climbing a slope or under heavy winds with moderate high temperatures in Argentina.

At 110 KPH (70 MPH) with the revs around 2.000-2.100 RPM in 5th gear, A/C off, suddendly the car loss almost all power. Some times when the brakes was applied or the gear is changed to a lower one, some times suddendly. No change in the temp. no MIL light, no change in the motor revs, etc. Just power loss.

Only way to recover the power was to low to 3rd gear and reduce the speed to around 60-70 kph (40 mph) then the car reach again the 110 kph without any trouble.

Probably doesnt affect me at the beginning because we were not able to run up to 110 KPH in the gravel roads that we use and when we reach paved roads at the south the temperatures were lower.

I made a search and Niglyn appears to had the same problem, but he sold the car before solve it

Any thoughts before to comment the issue to the dealers? Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #61686 1st Mar 2011 5:24pm
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
This sounds like a software problem... The dealer would probably update your ecu.

Jack
Post #61689 1st Mar 2011 5:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Ed, could it be the extra weight of those longer mirror arms Wink 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #61692 1st Mar 2011 6:18pm
Organised Chaos

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Similar thing happened to mine last year, started with occasional power loss, no mil light on ,the dealer changed the egr valve but that did not cure the problem. It gradually got worse till it would not pull the skin of a rice pudding. It turned out to be the variable vanes in the turbo charger not working as they should. Dealer changed the turbo charger and that fixed the problem.
Post #61699 1st Mar 2011 7:00pm
Eduardo

Thanks,

I will keep an eye on that.
Looks like a software problem that only appears in harsh conditions (towing a heavy weight in a slope and at moderate high temp). But could be the turbo (I hope not. My guarantee ends 2 months ago).

BTW, the long arms doesnt work well at 120 KPH or with high Patagonian winds (guts over 100 kph): the arms tends to close to 45° from the 90° position. Finally I solved the issue with wire tensors to the aerial and to the RAI. (looks very funny but works). Also I broke one mirror due the wind: The bottom part that attach the mirror to the arm was almost blow up with a wind gut, but nothing that a duct tape cant solve.

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #61720 1st Mar 2011 9:49pm
Apynala

Morocco 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hello,

I don't know if it can help you but I felt the same thing, when I was on the road I suddenly lost power and it happens several times. After a look on the engine the caps on the expension tank was missing. I've put water and a new cap and the problem has disappeared.

Hope it will help you

Thumbs Up
Post #61726 1st Mar 2011 10:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
There are quite a few of us having this problem in South Africa. Mine cuts power in 30+ degrees ambient, going up hills at altitudes over 800m. I don't even tow anything. My intial reaction was that it was ecu related, almost as though the ecu is cutting power to protect the engine form overheating.

I have complained to LRSA about it, their initial response was "you're the first case", but when pressed further they admitted to their being another case in my area. Vehicle is in for a check-up this weekend, will report back next week on the outcome.
Post #62183 4th Mar 2011 5:44am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
robharvey wrote:
There are quite a few of us having this problem in South Africa. Mine cuts power in 30+ degrees ambient, going up hills at altitudes over 800m.

This is a known issue, I had a chat with the Technical chap at LR N1 City about this:

Quote:
We found on some cars that the wires on the turbo modulator plug pull out due to stress on the loom or engine vibrations. So they move the ferrite further down the loom. So if there is issues with the pins on the plug you must renew the plug with pins.

The old loom/plug had a ceramic part that prevented 2 metal parts from touching, this was more evident in high ambient temps. The new loom/plug does not contain the ceramic part, this even in high temps the metal parts are able to touch.

or something to that effect, but if you phone N1 City and ask to speak to Fanie, he knows what this is. He checked mine and found the new loom/plug (Jan 2010 model). --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #62184 4th Mar 2011 6:45am
BruceT

South Africa 
I have towed my Xplorer (very heavy off road caravan) in temps of over 40 deg and have never experienced this. (but then again Ive only done around 13000kms so far.

I have read though and I dont know where I read it and if its true, that the Puma and Td5's can go into a "limp mode" if they sence possible damage to the engine due to temperatures being to high.
Post #62210 4th Mar 2011 10:24am
Eduardo

Thanks for the answers.

At leats looks that Im not alone

In our case temperature was around 20-25°C but under heavy winds
My first tough is software protection against damage in the motor or transmission system entering in action.

All the times that the Defender do that (6-7 times) was the same thing.

Towing a 1.3 ton popup, Entering to a slope at 110 KPH or more at 5th or 6th gear --> speed reduced by the effort --> press the clutch, low the gear to regain speed and suddendly no power --> Reduce the speed to 60-70 KPH and reduce to 3rd gear and regain power again and be able to continie at 90 - 100 KPH.

Also we have some suspect in the Argentinean fuel quality that given a false lecture to the sensors, but the failure doesnt looks like that.

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #62254 4th Mar 2011 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1