↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Gap insurance???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
s18mcn

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Gap insurance???
Has anybody taken this out on their defender? Which company did you use? Has anyone had a pay out from gap,and was it straight forward as they say????
Post #61506 28th Feb 2011 9:13pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
insured my puma with nfu , new for old cover for first two years so did not need gap, residual values so high that gap probably not that important on defender, mine is 6 months old, just got a valuation from we buy any car ( not selling just curious) they valued at £1000 more than i paid, tempting to sell Rolling Eyes
Post #61508 28th Feb 2011 9:17pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
kingofthesparks wrote:
insured my puma with nfu , new for old cover for first two years so did not need gap, residual values so high that gap probably not that important on defender, mine is 6 months old, just got a valuation from we buy any car ( not selling just curious) they valued at £1000 more than i paid, tempting to sell Rolling Eyes

Same Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #61513 28th Feb 2011 9:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
s18mcn

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Mines a 57 reg brought privately was thinking it mint be worth doing??
Post #61516 28th Feb 2011 9:28pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Your choice, normal process if you get a total loss write off is insurance will offer lowest figure, you refuse then supply them with loads of info , cuttings from autotrader etc to prove true values, they will then agree better figure,never accept first figure offered from insurance for total loss, my brother works for major underwriter and told me how it works Thumbs Up
Post #61519 28th Feb 2011 9:34pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
I don't think I could afford to insure the number of gaps I've got on my 110 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

(Sorry - couldn't resist) Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #61580 1st Mar 2011 9:17am
Blaserman

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
I looked at this for my new toy but after all of the digging and question asking I decided it was a con. The dealer told me it would cover the difference between what the insurance company offered and the original purchase price in the event of total loss, everything I managed to find out revealed it would cover the difference between the insurance offer and the amount left on finance meaning you would not have to find that difference to clear the existing finance. With the defender holding its value so well, the chance of there being a deficit would be minimal unless you only put a small deposit down. From my past experience the insurance have always covered the remaining finance.
Post #61639 1st Mar 2011 2:15pm
Surrey Rover

Reading through this site I am amazed that Defenders are holding their money so well. Things must have changed in the last 5 or 6 years as when I was selling my two year old Td5 I almost had to give it away.

Perhaps the lack of anti 4X4 articles in the newspapers these days and the recent snow has helped pushed the values back up?

I got my dealer to throw in the gap insurance as part of the price when I bought my last new one, knowing how bad insurance companies are at under valuing in their favor I would be tempted to pay for it personally.
Post #61648 1st Mar 2011 3:05pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
s18mcn wrote:
Mines a 57 reg brought privately was thinking it mint be worth doing??

As far as I'm aware you cant take out gap insurance on a car that's older than 3 years. Could be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.

Also, its generally used for when a car is financed so that in the event of total loss the market value the insurer is prepared to pay (lower than the purchase price) will not leave a shortfall in the finance ie the gap insurance covers the "gap"
Post #61650 1st Mar 2011 3:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1