↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Edc and multi tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Edc and multi tools
As you can imagine I as a farmer have a fairly extensive selection of small pocket sized tools on me most of the day, pencils adjustable spanners, screwdrivers and usually 2 or more multi tools. It's a necessity that feeds a bit of a fetish for such things. Anyway, I have just been looking at my first leatherman after years of victorinox and gerber and have settled on a squirt with the view that it will complement the other bigger ones and is not entirely inappropriate for when I'm not on the farm. Now what this has done is brought to my attention the leatherman tread metric, which if unfamiliar, is a bracelet tool with interchangeable segments with things like box spanners and Allen keys and the like in the form of a stainless watch strap without the watch. Now I wouldn't want to use it on the farm as things like watches and wedding rings are a liability for getting caught on any and every thing they can causing pain and suffering in the process. So the tread would be more of a fashion thing than a hard working tool for me. Does anyone have one and what do they think of it? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #611214 21st Mar 2017 8:22pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lambert,

It is a great tool if you can stomach the cost. Whilst some may argue against, it is more a fashion item albeit one that can be functional. The Black one looks good when new. That is until it starts to wear off with heavy or high use, so the silver is better in that regard. However, as you will know from other tools, if you burr the edges you will end up with sharp bits that can have a tendency to hurt like hell if caught at the wrong angle.

Other than that it is quite possibly one of the finest and coolest ideas for an EDC. It complements the wrist like a lot of the accessories complement the Defender. Oh, and it is very fiddly Crying or Very sad
Post #611222 21st Mar 2017 8:49pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I too love tools and regularly get inventive with reasons why I 'need' something I was just introduced to - I have ended up with a an EDC of about 5kg - so with that in mind:

I'm surprised that thing is still on offer!

IMHO there are as many compromises as there are moving parts... Shocked Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #611225 21st Mar 2017 8:52pm
lambert.the.farmer

Cheers, kinda what I was expecting. Thanks. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #611227 21st Mar 2017 8:53pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
http://multitool.org/

plenty of info on here if you are interested. As well as the reviews there is a forum section as well. Thumbs Up
Post #611272 21st Mar 2017 10:32pm
lambert.the.farmer

Back again. I have just nicely ordered a 7x5 molle belt pouch to accommodate the edc. All good, but it presents the opportunity to further develop the collection of tools i carry. What I would like in the first instance is an interesting 1/4 hex bit store that has a minimum of 6 locations that I can self populate instead of having the bits rolling loose in a pocket being a Censored to find in a hurry. I have seen some simple plastic bar type ones but honestly they don't inspire. I had thought about making a magnetic one out of billet steel but having a sufficiently strong magnetic field in close proximity to some of the other things i carry is possibly a bit optimistic. So yeah, a cool hex bit cartridge, recommendations please. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #616396 12th Apr 2017 7:52pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
EDC? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #616412 12th Apr 2017 9:02pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't got a clue what an EDC is. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #616416 12th Apr 2017 9:11pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Every Day Carry. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #616422 12th Apr 2017 9:26pm
lambert.the.farmer

Thank you, yes every day carry or all the stuff I can't get through the day without that i replicate in miniature so that I have it on my person at any time. Its a mental illness, an itch I have to scratch.

Anyway. Any suggestions for a cool 1/4 hex bit store? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #616454 13th Apr 2017 4:02am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Wera tools make some small kits for hex bits and ratchet sets, may give you some inspiration https://www.toolventure.co.uk/hand-tools/S...Apn98P8HAQ
Post #616460 13th Apr 2017 7:02am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Scoobeenut, that is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to order one for the wifes birthday present Thumbs Up
Post #616464 13th Apr 2017 7:27am
lambert.the.farmer

Oh. Dear. God. I have to have that soooooooo badly. Is it pay day yet? Drool! Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #616478 13th Apr 2017 8:49am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Dont see that brand a lot done this way, but I have noted a few touring crews from Europe arriving with them and if you're going to be carrying stuff around with you I figure you'd likely want it to be quality Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #616482 13th Apr 2017 9:04am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Of all the small 1/4" bit ratchets that I've used, the Wera one is by far and away the nicest to use (and most expensive).

I have the kit that's very similar to that but without the sockets. I also have a Bahco one (with the sockets), I used to have a Bosch one and I have the Sealey Premier one.

I wouldn't buy the Bosch again, it was a bit pants. The Bahco one is good, and as a set for £20 including sockets it's pretty hard to beat, however the ratchet isn't as good as the Sealey or the Wera. I added a couple of 50mm bits in to the kit too to cater for recessed screws. The Wera one is definitely the nicest to use, it's the most comfortable and the ratchet as the least backlash.

The Sealey one is the one I carry in my work toolcase. I keep it in a slightly larger Bahco 1/4 sq socket set, so I have that, the normal 1/4" ratchet, square extension, hex extension, sockets, bits and adaptors all in one box. There are a few advantages of the Sealey one - it's (joint with the Bahco bit ratchet) slightly the shallowest of all of them taking up no extra depth than the 25mm bit, but the best bit is the socket in the end. You can use that to apply more leverage or access more difficult to reach things, but what I use it for most is spinning fasteners out. You an loosen them with the ratchet then quickly remove them using it like a screwdriver and that works really well. Unfortunately, the retention ball isn't the greatest. The mechanism and the fit and finish isn't as nice as the Wera, but it's good enough.

I have to fly with my tools, so I try and keep the weight to a minimum. I've thought about evicting the 1/4" square drive ratchet from my kit to save a few grams but I don't have enough confidence in the strength of the bit ratches to do that yet. One day I might do some sort of destruction test to see how they hold up.

Back to EDC, when I was working on a farm I used to always carry a Leatherman, started out with a much modified Wave then moved to a Skeletool. One of the other guys on the farm had a little saying that coming to a farm without a knife was like going to a brothel without a dick. Now that I'm having to fly everywhere and therefore can't carry a proper knife easily, I have a Victorinox Manager on my keyring and just rely on the fact I've got my tool bag with me on site when I'm working. When I get back home, depending on what I'm doing it's either an old Leatherman Sideclip (my favourite MT by a long way) or if I'm outdoors then a Victorinox GAK (one handed) because it has a big saw.
Post #616586 13th Apr 2017 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>