↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 24 <123 ... 567 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Very Happy Loads more to do but really need warmer and drier weather. As it's just a toy, I'm not inclined to struggle in the cold and wet. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #599412 5th Feb 2017 9:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Agree with you there, great when its a " toy " no rush at all Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #599430 5th Feb 2017 9:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

Woo hoo, just picked up a Puma-era passenger door on eBay to replace my rusted original Very Happy

Just need a drivers door now Whistle Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #601650 13th Feb 2017 10:37pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice one LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #601654 13th Feb 2017 10:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks good so far, lots of quality work going in and will bring a great result that will really show in the end.
Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #601658 13th Feb 2017 10:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

As the weather has been dry for a couple of days, I made a start on replacing the rear lights. What was fitted was, I think, the originals and at 25 years old they were worn out. The bodies were so worn that the bulbs would pop out and lose connections at odd or awkward times. I'm replacing them with more modern plug-in versions but this does complicate the exercise as the holes in the bodywork need to be enlarged to 45mm diameter. This is done with a stepped cone cutter and is pretty brutal.

As most of the holes are in the steel corner cappings, the new cut edges need painting. This began with a quick blast of etch primer:

Click image to enlarge

I'm also replacing the original rectangular fog and reverse lights with 95mm NAS-style round ones, which meant more holes in the ali panels.

Once dry, it was given a coat of Arles blue coach enamel and I took the opportunity to touch in some of the chips that revealed the previous pink paint, too:

Click image to enlarge

Next job was to sort out the wiring. At it's most basic this meant adding Econseal connectors to the loom but I also spent some time removing redundant connections by replacing bullet connectors with solder and heat shrink, or Wago connectors for the multi-wire joints. I also removed a mass of excess wire. I've only done the nearside so far, which now looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

The original loom seems to include a nearside connection for a fog light, which will remain unused.

The new number plate light is already fitted, with nice new stainless nuts and bolts, as it's using existing holes. Rather than fit some type of connector, I've just extended the fitted wires slightly and attached them to the appropriate Wago connectors.

The final stage is to rationalise the wiring on the offside, which is more of a challenge as it includes all of the connections for the towing electrics:

Click image to enlarge

I also plan to swap the twin sockets for a single 13 pin one but that'll all have to wait until next weekend. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Jul 2017 9:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #603759 21st Feb 2017 9:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

Duplicate Confused Darren

Post #603761 21st Feb 2017 9:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looking good, those little Wago connectors are good for what they are aren't they.
Pity they aren't waterproof too, although little point in that location. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #603767 21st Feb 2017 10:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, they're great for making multiple cable connections. When I get chance to drop into Screwfix, I'm going to pick up some of their 3 and 4-way push in connectors too, as they're pretty economic.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #603770 21st Feb 2017 10:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

In fits and starts between lousy weather and domestic duties, I've finally got all of my rear lights back together!

Following a trip to Screwfix for a selection of Wago connectors, I rationalised the wiring in the right hand cluster where the towing electrics were also connected. A couple of hours with a pair of snips and a wire stripper turned this:

Click image to enlarge

Into this:

Click image to enlarge

The towing electrics have been stripped out completely for the time being, as I plan to swap to a 13 pin socket anyway in due course, but the Wago connectors give me all of the spare ways needed to reconnect them.

Today I installed the lights themselves, so the rear end now looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

I appreciate that that it doesn't look any different to most other 90's on here, but it represents hours of work! It's also a nice upgrade to the later round fog and reverse lights over the originals.

Everything works as expected except the reverse light, which didn't work before I started. I suspect a fault with the switch but haven't had time to investigate that yet.

Next job is to install Glyn Lewis cross member shields to protect all of my shiny new electrics - next weekend, all being well.

Whilst I had the drill out, I also took the opportunity to install a nice alloy Land Rover badge:

Click image to enlarge

I've covered the back with self-adhesive 3mm foam and it's secured with M5 stainless screws and nuts, isolated with nylon washers at the rear.

Progress, progress! Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Jul 2017 7:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #604981 26th Feb 2017 5:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

Today was spent trying to coax the reversing light into life but, as is often the way with Land Rovers, everything took longer than planned Rolling Eyes

I started at the fuse box but taking the lid off revealed it to be full of dust. I started to clean it up with a brush but one thing led to another and I ended up stripping out the remnants of sound deadening and matting from the footwells and cleaning out all of the debris. Discovered a small rust hole in the side of the drivers footwell, but that's a job for another day Evil or Very Mad

Whilst stripping that lot out, I took out the door post trims where the door switches are mounted but when put back together I realised that the interior light wasn't working. I then spent ages cleaning, testing and fettling the switches but couldn't find anything wrong so, as a last resort, I checked the bulb. I found it loose in it's holder but then broke one of the connections of whilst poking and prodding Crying or Very sad Another half hour was then wasted taking down the headlining and repairing that!

So, with the light back on and the dirt cleaned up, I finally returned to the fusebox which, to paraphrase Eric Morecombe, had all the right fuses but not necessarily in the right order!

Click image to enlarge

A rummage in my toolbox found most of the ones that were required. Anyway, the fuse for the reverse light was fine, so attention turned to the switch. A bit of probing with the multimeter showed this to be dead.

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately though, despite jumping the switch wires together, the reverse light still wouldn't work. There then followed much faffing around with the multimeter that revealed there to be a break in the wire leading between the two rear light clusters. I decided to split the loom in the centre where my not so mystery plug is located and a bit of probing of the wire narrowed down the break to the right hand side, so I spliced in a new wire for that section. I didn't have any matching green with brown tracer, so resorted to red, which was duly soldered in and protected with heat shrink.

Click image to enlarge

With the wire finally repaired, I then encased the entire loom and new wire between the clusters in some split spiral conduit.

All I need now is a new switch Rolling Eyes Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Jul 2017 7:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #606760 4th Mar 2017 9:49pm
L110CDL

England 
Great result there LRA, it always take longer Rolling Eyes If i do any work on the landy i always allow a day even if its an hour job Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #606771 4th Mar 2017 10:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, it's always been that way. I'll just be glad to get to the end of mundane repairs. Darren

Post #606779 4th Mar 2017 10:25pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
LRA I can't help but notice you have no rear reflectors Whistle

Great work on the back end though, really freshens it up Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #606783 4th Mar 2017 10:37pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I'd suggest the smaller stick on puma ones, they look smarter and have no screws to rust Thumbs Up

I have puma ones on my td5 to make it look more 'modern' at the back Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #606785 4th Mar 2017 10:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 24 <123 ... 567 ... 222324>