Home > Td5 > Transfer box question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Transfer box question
Folks,

I have another one of those 'are they all like it' questions.... Sorry.... Embarassed

Graduated to my Td5 110 from an old V8 Auto Disco 1. In the disco, I found the shift from High to Low range was very distinct & positive and there was never any shadow of a doubt that Low range was selected.

On the 110, I've found it's not as 'positive' and I've found myself asking the same question my missus often asks.....
'Is it in ?' Whistle Same coming back from Low to High

When I was back at the indy I bought her from recently, I asked the question and their mechanic (TIG if you read this - it was Stu) and he had a go and commented that it was actually pretty good compared to a lot of others and he gave me a little tip, which was engage from neutral to high or low range whilst bringing the clutch up towards the bite point with a gear selected - I think he said something about taking up some of the slack in the clutch but I may have misheard him..

This works perfectly and now the shift (with Stu's tip) is much more positive. Thumbs Up

I experimented with my BIL's 2009 110 Puma (he'd not ever tried to shift to Low) and we found it was equally vague initially but again with Stu's tip it seemed much more positive.

So all in all - everything seems fine but I'm just looking for comfort that this is not uncommon and nowt to worry about.

Just to add - central differential lock works fine in low or high, so no issues there.

(Reason I'm asking all these questions is that I have a 6 month mechanical warranty from the indy and they're pretty decent people and will stand by it - I don't want to take the p155 out of them un-neccessarily but if there is a looming issue, I'd rather sort it whilst they still have an obligation to me )

Thanks all again for any feedback Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #59782 18th Feb 2011 9:22am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Sounds fine to me - though I'm no expert! Mine is just the same. I was told the same shifting technique by a LR Experience instructor and find it works well. Also helps to still be rolling slightly when you shift I find, rather than coming to a complete stop and then trying to - it's possible to shift on the move with some careful double de-clutching and rev matching, but I can't say I've ever tried it. Think the important thing is to regularly engage low box / diff lock to keep everything working as it should. Mine spends almost all its time in high box, so I try to remember to stick it in low now and again and run through the gears and engage / disengage diff lock a few times in each box. I usually double de-clutch when changing from low-high or vice versa, i.e. clutch from high to neutral then clutch again from neutral to low, rather than trying to do it in one move.

As an aside - another tip I was shown at LR Experience which I often find useful: occasionally diff lock won't disengage when you shift the lever back over - the lever comes across but the light on the dash is still illuminated. In this case diff lock is still engaged. To disengage, select reverse and apply full lock one way or the other and back up slightly and it will come out. You are just forcing the axles to turn at different speeds, thereby forcing the centre diff to work and thereby disengaging the lock. Hope that helps - sure others will have different techniques / suggest better ones.

Tris.
Post #59807 18th Feb 2011 11:28am
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Just like mine..... Thumbs Up Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #59816 18th Feb 2011 11:52am
party monkey

Thankyou guys for the responses.... good to know Thumbs Up

Green Machine, For those of us that spend most time in high box, I agree completely with the need to lock the diff from time to time and switch to low from high - just to stop it seizing. My old disco seized up and wouldn't engage the diff lock. Lots of swearing, WD40 and an afternoon making coffee for my friendly mechanic (my father) sorted it.

Have to say I thought the concept of reversing when the diff lock light was still on was that there was an element of transmission 'wind up' rather than the lock was still engaged but yep whatever it is... a few yards in reverse and light goes off Thumbs Up

My list entitled 'It's a defender - deal with it' gets ever longer Mr. Green Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #59862 18th Feb 2011 3:28pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
mines a basteward to get into diff lock!

never been in untill i bought it.

i've bought a good s/h 300 tdi disco TB for mine, after driving the D2 about the defenders to low geared for me.

Monkey, Next time your down at LRUK drop me a pm as my units a few miles away.
Post #59864 18th Feb 2011 3:43pm
party monkey

T1G UP wrote:
mines a basteward to get into diff lock!

never been in untill i bought it.

i've bought a good s/h 300 tdi disco TB for mine, after driving the D2 about the defenders to low geared for me.

Monkey, Next time your down at LRUK drop me a pm as my units a few miles away.

Cheers, T1G - will do. Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #59873 18th Feb 2011 4:46pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Mine is the same Thumbs Up
Post #59878 18th Feb 2011 5:46pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Hopefully an explination of how it works will help you guys relaise why it is vague.

Selecting Hi/Lo Box

Should never be done when traveling more than 5mph- idealy done at standstill. With this when you move the stick forward or back it physically moves a mechanism which selects Hi or Lo range.

Diff lock

Can be done up to speeds of 25mph. When you move the lever to the side all it does it puts tension on a spring which then when the conditions are right (all the splines line up) it will slide the collar across. If you then use it on solid ground you can put a lot of opposite torque on the two shafts which jam the collar across the 2 shafts (This is known as wind up)... ways to get rid of it include, putting into reverse, dropping a wheel off a curb or jacking up a single wheel.

It won't peel positive because you aren't physically moving any gears.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59880 18th Feb 2011 6:03pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Re: Transfer box question
party monkey wrote:
which was engage from neutral to high or low range whilst bringing the clutch up towards the bite point with a gear selected -

This is the proper way to do it, and it ensures its in hi or low. the last thing you want to happen is the vehicle to pop out of low range as you are climbing a steep hill.

Glynparry25 wrote:
Selecting Hi/Lo Box

Should never be done when traveling more than 5mph- idealy done at standstill. With this when you move the stick forward or back it physically moves a mechanism which selects Hi or Lo range.

Feck Shocked I've been doing this low to high at about 30 mph when towing heavy trailers etc and with no clunking BTW.

accelerate up to 3rd gear low range 25 - 30 mph
clutch in, gear lever to neutral clutch out
clutch in, transfer lever to neutral clutch out
clutch in, gear lever to 1st clutch out
clutch in, transfer lever to high clutch out
Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #59884 18th Feb 2011 6:21pm
Glynparry25

Re: Transfer box question
AndrewS wrote:

Feck Shocked I've been doing this low to high at about 30 mph when towing heavy trailers etc and with no clunking BTW.

accelerate up to 3rd gear low range 25 - 30 mph
clutch in, gear lever to neutral clutch out
clutch in, transfer lever to neutral clutch out
clutch in, gear lever to 1st clutch out
clutch in, transfer lever to high clutch out
Thumbs Up

You will be OK doing that as you are dissconecting the engine from the drive train... it is more for people who drive along and try to go from Hi-Lo by just pressing the clutch...... I am guessing from your knolwedge of how to shift you are also C+E qualified Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59888 18th Feb 2011 6:30pm
ken

United Kingdom 
He could not get in to a Truck Cab Rolling with laughter

Used to love my DAF with its crash box really taught you how to change properly coming uo Shap and missing a gear never an option Whistle
Post #59889 18th Feb 2011 6:34pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Ken I can if I wear my high heels Ner Ner

Not C+E, But I am Land Rover quallified Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #59906 18th Feb 2011 7:24pm
Glynparry25

I remember learning to drive C+E in nice new trucks so gear changes were easy, then when I got to Belize I would drive the Bedford Light Recovery which had one of the worst boxes in the world.... Within a few weeks it was easy to drive with the odd crunch here and there- Soo funny when you get a new lad in who thinks he is a driving god but then crunches every gear on the way up and then back down. I don't think they even teach double clutching now.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59909 18th Feb 2011 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1