↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Very heavy oil use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
Very heavy oil use
Things have changed since my last post on the same subject. My Defender is now using one litre every 350 miles. As in my previous post there is no smoke or abnormal noise from the engine which starts and runs well and not even a drip of oil on the drive. On the last visit to the main dealer to investigate they found one small oil leak which they repaired but it made no difference. I will take it back for more investigations and cost but if anyone can suggest something it will be much appreciated.
Many Thanks

ORIGINAL POST - OCT 2015
My 2008 puma has 91,000 miles and has started using around 1 litre per 1000miles. Dealer hasnt found anything so far. There is absolutely no smoke from the engine when driving. However on starting there is quite a lot of white/grey smoke for about 5 seconds but the dealer tells me this is normal.
Post #598023 31st Jan 2017 2:30pm
WRFrance

Germany 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Keswick Green
Unbelievable, I just spent an hour to write a detailed response just to find out it disappeared into the nirvana when hitting the review button....

So in short. Same problem for me on 2012 2.2 Puma engine with now 19000 miles. Developed oil consumption problem (1.5 litres in 600 miles) within a distance of 4000 miles.

Things to check are:

1. injector copper washers allowing combustion gas to leak by the washer into the valve cover creating high crankcase pressure and oil vapour.

2. When injectors pulled use borescope to check for cracked piston (caused by injectors out of tolerance or leaking) or scratches on cylinder wall pointing to engine damage.

3. Pull turbo inlet hose and check turbo chart for axial play. If you can lift the shaft that much that impeller blades hit the housing then your turbo bearing (seals) may well be gone causing high oil consumption.

4. Check turbo impeller has no sign of impact from dust particles. This was my find caused by a no-name air filter the selling dealer put in prior to delivering the car. The filter had a third less pleats as well as no rigid foam seam causing the filter to collapse in the air box and the engine to run on straight air bypassing the filter.

5. The contamination could have caused piston rings to be damaged resulting in high blowby and oil vapour being sucked into the air I let via the crankcase breather.

6. Your dealer could perform a pressure test taking the glow plugs out. You could hear where the engine is leaking pressure.

7. I did compare blowby with a Defender of similar mileage by loosening the oil filler cap (if ok it has to stay in position) and pulling the crankcase breather hose from the air intake hose. High pressure and oil vapour could be a sign of worn piston rings or injector seal leakage.

8. Check oil and cut open filter to look for contamination and metallic swarf indicating mechanical damage.

My oil consumption problem reduced clearly just by fitting an OEM Mahle filter but I only drove the car for 400 miles as the car is on season plates and I can only drive it over the summer.
With my car having higher crankcase pressure I am also still nervous about piston rings (no scratches on cylinder bores though) and turbo bearings causing oil to leak by. I keep a close eye on my oil conmsumption, before I would rebuild the engine I would probably look into a zero mileage takeout engine that has the benefit of having all the ancillaries including injectors and turbo.

Oh, an engine with DPF will not smoke white or black, the particulate filter keeps the exhaust gases clean even if an engine is using a lot of oil or water. The DPF is fitted to the 2.2 puma but not the 2.4.

So - not all conclusive but a number of pointers. Keep us posted.

Norbert
Post #598162 31st Jan 2017 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1