↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 24 <123 456 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
It must be a 200Tdi thing to hack around with the wiring.

I found a relay and some spare wiring behind the headlamp finisher, one of the lights had been piggybacked from the other light on the other side by running some 3 core household cable across the radiator (just laid on top, not secured or anything) and there is still an absolute birds nest inside there I need to have more of a go at.

Cant seem to figure out what it is that makes people chop and change it around so much. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #573110 24th Oct 2016 12:26pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Dunno. I do plan to alter the wiring to add relays to the main and dipped circuits but for the time being I'm just trying to make sure everything works properly. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #573111 24th Oct 2016 12:39pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Very wise on both counts Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #573282 25th Oct 2016 11:27am
LandRoverAnorak

Rain has largely stopped play over the last couple of weeks, although various parts have been accumulated courtesy of eBay. Firstly, picked up an absolute bargain of a cubby box, less than two months old and as new, which matches my recently installed seats:

Click image to enlarge

Then, as my 90 came fitted with a TD5 bumper, I found a pair of rubber end caps for a good price:

Click image to enlarge

Then finally, and more significantly, a pair of nearly new drivers door hinges. The original hinges on my 90 are completely shot, making closing it a real pain. However, the quality of new aftermarket replacements seems to be variable, so a new-ish pair of second hand ones seemed liked a good compromise.

After rubbing down and cleaning, these have been primed:

Click image to enlarge

And then sprayed with an aerosol of colour-matched paint:

Click image to enlarge

If the weather co-operates, I hope to fit tomorrow afternoon and the only problem I foresee is them being the best painted part on the vehicle Big Cry Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 9:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #578571 17th Nov 2016 10:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice purchase of the cubby box and the Techno Cloth matches my seats as well Thumbs Up As for the weather co-operating, down here in Devon, it would be a NO go tomorrow, hope the weather lets you get the hinges done Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #578573 17th Nov 2016 10:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

It's been a frustrating few weeks on the 90 front. My hinge swapping became a real chore that involved sheared captive nuts, piles of rust and bolts that were too short. This all resulted in only getting one hinge fitted, over several days, and I still need to change two of the bolts. Fortunately, that was enough to allow the door to shut without crashing it, but as the task isn't finished I'll come back to it another day.

To cheer myself up after the hinge debacle, I fitted the TD5 rubber end caps that I'd picked up cheap from eBay. A rare sunny day then allowed me to take a reasonably nice picky, too:

Click image to enlarge

In other news, as part of Surrey 4x4 Response, my wife and I recently completed a training session with Surrey police that will allow us to work on the motorway, should there be an incident where the police need some extra bodies. Part of the deal though is that we need to have regulation lights and red/yellow chevrons on the vehicles. Consequently we've bought a couple of sets of these neat twin rotating LED lights:

Click image to enlarge

They're magnetic, so will stick straight onto the D4 but they've also given me an excuse to buy some nice roof bars for my 90:

Click image to enlarge

They're from First Four Off Road and I had a set a few years ago on a 110. They're very strong and importantly, steel, so will provide somewhere to mount my flashing lights! They'll probably be painted black at some point. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 9:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #585158 14th Dec 2016 9:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking neat there fella! Thumbs Up
Post #586471 20th Dec 2016 1:37am
LandRoverAnorak

So, after much faffing around, I did eventually get my new door hinges fitted. Obstacles included not realising that the captive nuts in the bulkhead were an imperial thread – I sheared two before the penny dropped, the nice new stainless bolts I’d bought being not long enough to go through the door frames and discovering a large pile of very fine, dry rust in the base of the door pillar. The latter was painstakingly extracted with a magnetic pickup before the void was soaked with ACF50.

Still, got there in the end:

Click image to enlarge

That did reveal another drama, though. To fit the top hinge, it was necessary to remove the door card to get at the bolts. However, what that revealed is the frame of the door is cracked. It’s obviously been like it for some time and is undoubtedly due to the constant slamming as a result of the worn hinges.

Lashed a temporary repair with the only bit of suitable metal that I had to hand and I’m now on the look out for a new door:

Click image to enlarge

On a more positive note, Father Christmas was kind to me and brought me a snow cowl. Let’s face it – he’s a man who knows a thing or two about snow. This particular one came from SP4x4 and is a powder coated copy of the genuine metal one:

Click image to enlarge

I’m quite pleased with it and think it looks the part, as well as keeping crud out of the heater intake:

Click image to enlarge

Also for now, I’ve fitted a rad muff in an attempt to coax it to warm up a bit quicker:

Click image to enlarge

This particular one comes from a small company called Globe Roamer and I had one fitted to my previous 110. It’s the best thought out one on the market in terms of both fitting and usage. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 9:01pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #595148 21st Jan 2017 10:58pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Every Land Rover door I've ever seen has had that crack, just a design flaw unfortunately. You can weld it up but in a few years it will crack again. Doesn't seem to cause big problems though.

I'd be wary of the rad muff, very easy to overheat an engine with a full coverage one like that. Plus in my opinion they're wholly unnecessary in the UK - many do use them but generally it's masking a cooling system issue.
Post #595151 21st Jan 2017 11:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

X-Trouser
Todays' task was to fit a pair of X-Trouser door catches (also a Christmas present Cool ). I also got some nice new stainless bolts to fit them with:

Click image to enlarge

Apart from having to drill one bolt out, it was all fairly straightforward, except for the one flaw in their design, which is that they're slightly narrower than the originals. This typically means that they need more shims between them and the door frame to allow the door to close over them. Something I remembered from fitting them to my old 110 a few years ago.

Click image to enlarge

I overcame this by cutting new shims from some 6mm thick nylon that I had lying around:

Click image to enlarge

Once they were all tightened up, the doors closed with a satisfying clunk. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 8:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #595152 21st Jan 2017 11:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

Retroanaconda wrote:
Every Land Rover door I've ever seen has had that crack, just a design flaw unfortunately. You can weld it up but in a few years it will crack again. Doesn't seem to cause big problems though.

The door's rotten anyway so will be replaced but the crack was allowing quite a lot of flex, which added to the difficulty in closing.

Retroanaconda wrote:
I'd be wary of the rad muff, very easy to overheat an engine with a full coverage one like that. Plus in my opinion they're wholly unnecessary in the UK - many do use them but generally it's masking a cooling system issue.

I know what you mean but it suits the mainly short journey driving that I'm using it for at the moment. I've run with one of these covers before and it's beauty is that it can be easily adjusted to control the cooling.

An earlier version of the same cover on my old 110:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 8:53pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #595155 21st Jan 2017 11:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

A spare hour and some dry weather enabled me to fit some roof bars, mentioned a few posts further up, that I've been preparing for some weeks. Preparation included painting them black (they come galvanised) and making some brackets to fit to one to allow me to use a set of magnetic rotating beacons, for use with my 4x4 Response activities.

The brackets comprised two lengths of 40mm steel angle, bolted to each side of one of the roof bars so that they're flush with the top face. They're spaced off with some 6mm nylon, partly to make them the right width for the magnets on the beacon and partly to avoid a water trap between the metal faces.

Click image to enlarge

With the beacon in place:

Click image to enlarge

And mounted on the roof:

Click image to enlarge

Positioning of the bars required a bit of careful measuring, as I want them positioned to suit the mounting points on my Ozpod.

Just need to sort out power for the beacon now. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 8:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #597031 28th Jan 2017 6:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

Continuing the 4x4 Response theme, I applied this sticker today to a surplus branded wheel cover, kindly supplied by Jomara of this parish:

Click image to enlarge

No chance of missing me in the dark! Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 8:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #597481 29th Jan 2017 8:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

A bit of dry weather and sunshine saw a few minor bits and pieces attended to today. First up was fitting an A pillar trim. When I bought the 90, it was missing the drivers side one but I managed to pick up a pair on eBay. It's taken me ages to get around to finding the right screws but finally picked up some No.6 x 25mm stainless self tappers so I took the opportunity to replace the wood screw that was holding on the passenger side trim Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Next was fitting a new interior light. The original was broken so again eBay furnished a replacement. Much to my delight, it worked first time without any faffing about with wiring required.

Click image to enlarge

Then I replaced the wipers and arms - no pictures but I'm sure you get the idea.

Finally, I cleaned up the contacts on one of the rear indicators that was playing up. You know, on, off, on, off. So annoying.

As the sun was out, it was an excuse for another snap:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 17th Jul 2017 8:45pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #599123 4th Feb 2017 7:59pm
L110CDL

England 
That is really looking smart LRA, great pic Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #599364 5th Feb 2017 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 24 <123 456 ... 222324>