↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The simple things in life....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
The simple things in life....
Fired up the bar-b-que this morning and cooked fish for breakfast. Sat in the back of the 110 with my legs hanging out over the rear crossmember and dined in style. Nothing like the simple things in life,is there? Very Happy 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #57995 9th Feb 2011 1:08pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up enjoy
Post #57996 9th Feb 2011 1:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sounds tasty & tranquil Spudfan Thumbs Up
Post #57999 9th Feb 2011 1:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
nice one Spud, where abouts were you 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #58001 9th Feb 2011 1:30pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Carndonagh,Co.Donegal,on the Inisowen Peninsula. The top end of things are far as we are concerned. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #58003 9th Feb 2011 1:40pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
spudfan wrote:
Carndonagh,Co.Donegal,on the Inisowen Peninsula. The top end of things are far as we are concerned.

I've been to Malin, that was some years ago though, nice part of the Country mate 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #58005 9th Feb 2011 1:55pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Spent 3 weeks touring Ireland with a little caravan before the kids came along - superb holiday Thumbs Up

I checked out a new mooring we have been allocated last weekend at Itchenor, Chichester Harbour. Great spot by the looks of it, especially for Bass fishing apparently but I have only ever caught mackerel, need to check what I can catch, how to catch it and if I am allowed to catch it Shocked Will keep the kids occupied for a while also! Whistle

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Zagato on 9th Feb 2011 2:07pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #58008 9th Feb 2011 1:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
Grockle wrote:
spudfan wrote:
Carndonagh,Co.Donegal,on the Inisowen Peninsula. The top end of things are far as we are concerned.

I've been to Malin, that was some years ago though, nice part of the Country mate

Just a mile or two down the road from me. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #58011 9th Feb 2011 2:02pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Zagato wrote:
Spent 3 weeks touring Ireland with a little caravan before the kids came along - superb holiday Thumbs Up

I checked out a new mooring we have been allocated last weekend at Itchenor, Chichester Harbour. Great spot by the looks of it, especially for fishing but I have only ever caught mackerel, need to check what I can catch, how to catch it and if I am allowed to catch it Shocked Will keep the kids occupied for a while also! Whistle

Me and the wife toured Ireland in our first car-a 90 Turbo diesel- many years ago, before the kids came along. Believe it or not we both slept in the back of the 90!We were young and supple then. Very Happy Cooked on a little gas ring powered by bottled gas. Great memories.
Looks really nice there Zagato. Hope you take the time to enjoy it. Years pass very quickly so grab the now as it will soon be tomorrow. Kids are very easily entertained when they are young as they do not know any better Whistle
Other nice memories are holidays with our two kids and three borrowed kids in the 110. Leaving home at midnight,all passengers snoring away except for the wife who was navigating.Seeing sunrise early in the morning, no traffic, getting everyone up at about 6.00am in a misty layby for breakfast then back on the road again. Great times. Great memories. Sadly when the teenage years kick in kids are not as easily amused!Enjoy the mooring and the fishing. It will be even better when you get the Puma!!!!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #58015 9th Feb 2011 2:14pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
spudfan wrote:
It will be even better when you get the Puma!!!!

You've said it. The main reason for buying the Puma is to have something to hack the 110 mile round trip to the boat and back. A 3 hour round trip in my old series 2 is hard work with no heating, with cold boat maintenance in between and costly at 18mpg. My wife's first reaction to me spending 20K on a car (don't know where she got that figure from Whistle ) was a complete shock but not having to borrow her car every Friday to get to the boat makes the deal more palatable even though she won't get her conservatory for years and I have come clean and said it would be a £28.000 Demo Laughing . Well you need to build up to these things. Mr. Green

Just waiting for my Jag to sell & then I will be the happiest bloke on the planet. I think you appreciate things more when you have taken years buying and selling cars to get up to £27.000. I'll lose for the first time on the Landy but I can write a lot of against tax and at the grand old age of 45 Laughing you get to think lifes to short, and get what you really want....
Post #58031 9th Feb 2011 3:32pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Don't forget that you HAVE to go back to the wife and kids. It is so easy to just keep going,and going and going....in a Puma. Very Happy 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #58032 9th Feb 2011 3:36pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laughing Yes ME time could be extended a tad! Really looking forward to trying out the new boat (first proper boat and haven't sailed much in the area, so lots to learn!) and spending a few nights on her and watching the sun rise on the morning. I'd love to do fish for breccy but know Cornflakes will be my lot Confused

I might be worrying too much about what the salt air will be doing to my lovely new motor Shocked so might perhaps borrow the wife's car & keep mine in the garage Very Happy Anyone know a cheap supplier of cotton wool Rolling with laughter
Post #58043 9th Feb 2011 4:36pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Zagato,don't worry about catching your own for breakfast. First thing in the morning,even Mr. Tesco's finest will taste wonderful. Take this morning for instance. Back out to fire up the Barbie again. This time we had a white frosty morning, while yesterday was wet.(Monday we had snow). Wrapped up some fish I caught in Tesco's in tinfoil and put it on the Barbie. Cooks in it's own juices and stays moist.Wonderful. I know I will never get that trip to Africa one always dreamed of, but sitting there in the back of the 110 with one foot on the tow bar and the other on the rear step watching the sun gradually clear the frost from the roof, mug of tea in one hand and fork full of fish in the other, I could have been anywhere. Granted that after a while I began to wonder where my toes had gone but it's a small price to pay to be at peace with the new day. If you ever wondered why Land Rovers have tow bars and rear steps well now you know. Some people think the tow ball is for towing trailers but I know better.
So Zagato when you get the Puma and head down to the boat forget the cornflakes and cook the fish you have brought with you, and just savour those quite moments on the birth of a new day at the start of your next big adventure i.e. new birthing for the boat and your Puma. It will prepare you for life's disappointments and downturns. Yep they will come. Prepare yourself for the day that the Mrs. starts to refer to the Puma as "hers" and uses it everyday. Happened here the day we bought ours and the Mrs. drove it for the first time. Then there's the kids. Yes they will take to the Puma like a duck takes to water. It will break your heart to see it's interior getting the treatment only youngsters can give it. But at least you will know that you will always get to clean it out and wash it-if you can get your hands on it for long enough. Yes,here speaks experience.
Don't worry about the salt air doing the Puma harm, with a family that will be the least of your worries. Just a hosedown underneath with the garden hose every now and then will clear off any harmful deposits.
One more thing don't forget to turn off the mobile phone while you are savouring the new morning. Me, I am lucky enough not to have one. Let us know when you eventually join the fold. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #58230 10th Feb 2011 11:40am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Tesco's! Grand idea Thumbs Up You'll have to take some pics for us Very Happy

I am also in the no mobile syndicate, blimmen thing used to ring 24/7 in my old job, it was the first thing to go in the bin Mr. Green
Post #58236 10th Feb 2011 12:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1