↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Bogwert and F's D90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bogwert

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Bogwert and F's D90
'Lets get a Landy!'... four words which set off nearly a year of searching!

So the hunt began, a year of saving, searching, sale sites and eyeing up Land Rovers in the street! Along with various friends spamming WhatsApp with links to Defenders for sale (thanks SWR)!

Frances (the better half) is from the countryside of Angus in Scotland -mud, farms and sheep. Myself, the rolling humber of Warwickshire. Ive seen more Chelsea tractors then you can shake a stick at, all gleaming and alloys that haven't ever seen an ounce of mud! My background is in Quality Engineering and Manufacture, working for Jaguar Land Rover, Norbar Torque Tools and now Bosch Rexroth I can use a spanner set - and follow a Haynes. But thats about it! I'll take any advice!

We settled on the idea of a Defender, nothing too new, nothing too old, rugged and tinker-able.

January 2016 saw our wee family grow by four paws! As 'wee' Rab the Border Collie puppy came home with us... the urge for a Defender grew even more... Collies are made for Defenders right?

Click image to enlarge

Rab, now 1 year old!

After responding to many ads, seeing a few and tapping chassis' with bits of metal, we found one... surprisingly 25 miles from my parents house down in Warwickshire. Well maintained, even stored in a garage, and only a few 'issues' to deal with, a few spots of rust, oil, the off side front bearing rattling and the spare wheel being flat with the wrong alloy.

By the end of following week found myself on a a late train from Dundee to Birmingham!

So this is my wee post of our trials and tribulations of our D90.

Saturday morning saw the start of a 400mile road trip from south of Birmingham to Dundee.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Kid at Christmas comes to mind

... I made it 3 miles before problem number 1.... This is going well!
The drivers seatbelt, 'CLANG ZIP BUMP.... S*!t.' The seatbelt reel snapped, luckily it had failed safe and locked tight.

Sat in a Halfords Carpark I proceed to take apart the reel to find out what it was, the small plastic forks in the spring had gone.

So after a bit of swearing and getting to use the new tool set, put it back together locked and resumed the remaining 397 miles.

Something has to be said about traveling at 60/65 mph everywhere, its a whole new world, no longer blasting it at 85 trying to get home quick. But just to enjoy the drive and world around you, the lakes at sunset are stunning even from the M6.

Finally after seven and half hours, and only one fuel stop, I pulled up on the drive in Dundee. I was in love with it already!

The Sunday saw the roof rack off, windscreen cleared, bonnet sticker toffee wheeled off, a new spare from Dave-H and two new seatbelts on order.

Click image to enlarge

Not a huge difference but enough to make it a bit more 'ours'.

Yesterday it had a going over from Disco_Mikey at MMP Land Rover. My worries were put to rest that we hadn't brought a duff one!

By the way, I would recommend MMP to anyone in the Dundee / Angus area, there are guys that know Land Rovers... then there is Disco_Mikey!

So leaving us with a current to-do fix list:

- Tighten OSF hub nut Done
- Replace Rocker Gasket Done
- Replace Cam Seals Done
- Remove EGR valve Done
- Patch Bulk Head Rust Spot Done
- Leaky Passenger Side Door
- Replace doors
- Swivel Ball Seal Done
- Remove and seal rust behind dash Done
- Bleed Brake System Done
- Tighten NSF hub nut Done
- Re-grease wheel bearings Done
- Replace brass crank shaft bush / clutch Done
- New Rear Brake Pads Done
- Dinitrol the under carriage Done - Buzzweld
- Beat out the damage from the roll!
- Touch up body work
- Replace roof lights Done
- Bung random holes
- Change Diff Oils Done
- Fix leaky power transfer box Done
- Fix Diff Lock Done
- Respray Front Plastics

Not too bad of a list!

Mod / replace list:

- Dog Guard Done
- Wind Deflectors Done
- New Defender Badge Done
- Light bar / LED lights
- Rock Sliders Done
- Airflow to side windows
- Rear work light
- Heated front windscreen
- Steering Guard Done
- Diff Guard Done
- Trucklites / Wipac LED Crystals
- New Bumper and D2 A Bar
- X Eng handbrake
- Sound deaden doors
- Cruse Control
- Remove dropped tow bar Done
- Recondition Wheels
- Add 2nd Washer Jet Done
- Foot well lights
- Heated Seats
- Internal Side Window Guards for Rab Done
- Spare Wheel Carrier

So I've rambled on and I'm impressed if you made it this far, a bit of advice wouldn't go a miss on the fix lists or mods?

Has anyone removed the rust from under the door, its only a small patch?

Click image to enlarge
 Chris

2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW

Last edited by bogwert on 19th Mar 2018 12:24pm. Edited 14 times in total
Post #571027 15th Oct 2016 1:14pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Great story! Welcome! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #571036 15th Oct 2016 2:26pm
SWR

England 
that was rather elequent for you. Laughing

Congrats on getting a good'un. To say I was relieved when Mikey confirmed it was solid was an understatement. Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy and now the hard saving starts to buy all the toys. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Will enjoy seeing the updates. Thumbs Up
Post #571041 15th Oct 2016 2:50pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
TD5- the best as far as I am concerned Thumbs Up
Personally I'm not into too many mods but recently put in full leather RX8 seats which are excellent and far more comfortable than standard. Personally, underbody protection and genuine filters for the service is the way to go.
Enjoy.
Post #571289 16th Oct 2016 6:04pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Nice truck, not to much to get sorted really. Thumbs Up
Post #571314 16th Oct 2016 7:03pm
L110CDL

England 
Nie looking landy, great write up, will be great with the future updates Thumbs Up Totally agree with the lower speed, great chance to see the scenery Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #571356 16th Oct 2016 8:28pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Looks great, and really enjoyed reading the post - agree entirely about the 60mph thing, all my journeys in the Defender feel far more relaxed than in my other car. Looks like a nice honest tuck and you can't beat a Td5 (I'm biased of course). Looks so much better without the stupid sticker across the bonnet! Are you keeping the spotlights? I'd lose those too personally, but each to their own. The bulkhead rust is slightly concerning, but looks like it's localised at the seam, but would be worth sorting ASAP with some quality rust convertor and anti-corrosion wax (Dinitrol or Bilt Hamber). The door bottoms (along with the bulkhead) are notorious rust spots. Would be worth getting the door bottom looked at too, a new piece could be welded in if necessary. Look forward to seeing it progress. Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #571372 16th Oct 2016 8:46pm
bogwert

Update from 16th Oct... I think

... Landy Lesson 101... 'There is no such think as a 1 hour job'!

So I have an hour and half free, the rain is off (finally)... and I have an EGR deletion kit from MMP.
Tools out, bonnet up, rain back on... Banging Head

Persisting on, the main air intake was a bas***d to take off. The 4 bolts around the EGR were a lot simpler.

Click image to enlarge

Although the 2 bolts on the recirculation pipe managed to to cause a bit of pain, plenty of penetrative spray, a bit of swearing and some skin off my knuckles saw to them.

Click image to enlarge

The original gasket was worn and a bit cracked, but the new one when on perfect after the old face was cleaned down.
With 3 out of 4 bolts back in (I managed to drop one in the engine bay, damn it..) we are (almost) good to go!

Finally with a bit of persuasion the air intake went back on ok and after hiding from the rain, under the engine to find the missing bolt, 30 minutes of searching later the missing bolt was found! YES!

2.5 hours later... done! ... only took an hour right?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No major grime but at least now the engine can breath!

Click image to enlarge

As you may also notice, they huge amount of baked on oil. A new front cam seal is next!
Post #575969 6th Nov 2016 10:22pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the update Bogwert and yes it only took an hour to do Rolling with laughter 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #575971 6th Nov 2016 10:28pm
bogwert

Ok, so….. mass update as I’ve neglected this quite a bit! I actually feel guilty!

‘bankrupt but happy’

Job number 1: Front Cam Seal.

As you can tell from the last post, the front of the engine is chucking out oil, and I’m pretty sure its suppose to stay in!
The old cam seal popped out very easily, in fact I was more just held in with dry oily crap.
Cleaned the surround and the new one popped in easy enough, with a bit of a handy tap from the calibrated mallet.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job number 2: Front wheel bearing.

From Disco_Mikey's advice on tightening the hub nut, I set off on a mission on Rimmer Bros for a hub socket and gaskets.
A few pounds lighter…. (I brought badges too), I was ready to go!
Axels up, wheel off, BAS***D tight bolt offs the hubs where rather dusty red but looking fine. The single hub nut torqued up to 200Nm we were on to a winner. This Landy stuff is easy!

Although while the pressure was off the swivel ball, the Landy decided as its leg was cocked, it was time mark its territory… New swivel seal, add that to the list.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job number 3: Rocker Gasket.

Slightly more interesting than a wheel… I saw real engine stuff! The leaky rocker gasket was a pretty easy job, in fact the worst bit was the getting the Censored to stick long enough to the lid to let me align it and sit it home! 3 or 4 attempts and several swear words later, I was happily torqueing the bolts down.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job number 4: Badges

I probably spent more time checking, rechecking, triple-checking my lines to ensure the badge was in the right place than would be required. Slightly squint… it would be the first thing I would see every time I looked at it. Luckily i managed to get this one right!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job number 5: Dog Guard

A nice easy one, assuming you know what you're doing! The bottom half went in like a dream, almost like it was made for it! but the roof bolts were a pain in the arse! They have aluminium expanding clamps that took a good few attempts to get right! Finally I don't have to worry about a Collie wanting to sit on my lap while driving!

Job Number 6: Swivel seal

Luckily it seemed to be a broken seal and a few weeks later armed with the right tools and after a full day out in the icy cold I had removed the entire assembly on the passenger side to fit a new shiny seal and retaining plate.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Job Number 7: Bleed the Brake system

So it turned out the rear breaks did... well nothing really! The discs are rusted up with no pressure from the pads. An afternoon was spent bleeding the full system, and the amount of air was slightly worrying! After a wee drive around Dundee they now stop... well as quickly as a defender can! but they work! and the rust is already coming off.

After filling up the PAS, giving it a good service and clean the 90 was running sweet as a nut, and looked it too! Chris

2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #600438 9th Feb 2017 7:39pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Cool thread.
Post #600442 9th Feb 2017 7:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome back and a great up date, many thanks Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #600474 9th Feb 2017 8:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looks a good one Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #600497 9th Feb 2017 9:15pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Excellent thread! Congratulations on your Defender Thumbs Up and keep the stories coming. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #600561 10th Feb 2017 2:30am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Nice.

Your list looks a lot like mine did Thumbs Up

I recommend doing the following all at the same time to save on brake fluid bleeds and multiple shop runs for gaskets, seals and one shots:

- Brake rotors, pads, caliper refurb (new pistons, seals and retainers)
- Bearings, seals
- Shafts/CV/flanges (if required)
- Swivel pins/bearings (shimmed for correct preload) - pretty much attacking the swivel from the other direction via stub axle.
- Swap to two nut system instead of stake nut (which according to WSM is 210Nm, but hey, 200 is close enough considering all the other random factors involved in a typical driveway job! (grease on the threads))

Lots of smallish jobs made in to one huge one - but much less repetition Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #600562 10th Feb 2017 3:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>