↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Clarion NZ502E head-unit and sound system advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Swac3

On the fully forward setting it looks to be just a fraction past vertical in relation to the face of the actual unit, I can post a pic if you would like, The manual states 30 deg for mounting the actual unit, Likely due to either the DVD or the screen motors. 3 Landrovers
Post #533126 20th May 2016 8:31am
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Thanks that would be cool. Below is a picture of a loose test fit of the console. I'm worried that if I put it in the upper angled section it will come out and hit the dash. I want to fit it here so it frees the vertical area for switches> If I have to fit it lower down it will block access to the switches above it.

Click image to enlarge
Post #533328 21st May 2016 7:30am
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
nz502e and mud console
has anyone got or know of anyone who has the nz502e and a mud console? Which slot is best to put it in? I wanted to put it in at an angle in the top slot but I don't think the screen will come out without hitting the dash. Also It may not fit in the lowest as might not go in far enough. Don't want the screen blocking too much access to the switches either.

Please let me know, thanks
Post #535302 27th May 2016 10:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
How is owners of this system finding it after a while, it looks like a good system.
Mine I think has given up the ghost, or at least playing up. (Kenwood).

This looks a good, more modern higher spec alternative.
Post #554093 6th Aug 2016 5:13pm
walfy

Just seen this.

Love mine. Satnav is great. Decent sound, well decent enough for me through standard LR speakers, BT for phone is good as well.

Only downside for me, is it keeps losing Heart FM. Well when I say lose it plays for a few seconds and then drops (silent) for a second and then repeat. If I retune it, it holds it for a while then does the same. It could be because I'm on the edge of a frequency change??? And can't decide where to go. But I thought modern HU would lock onto the chosen frequency and track it to keep the sound?
Anyone else have this issue? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #556399 16th Aug 2016 10:54am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could be a weak FM frequency, LR's aerial isn't the best as standard.

And as I'm sure you already know, signal can vary as to where you are etc.
Some radio channels have alternate frequency and the HU will seek to other frequency.
Sometimes the radio station doesn't have an alternate frequency or the HU doesn't seek or both.

How have others go on with different aerials?

Personally I don't listen to any radio at all, but everyone to their own tastes. Very Happy
Post #556465 16th Aug 2016 4:02pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Ive had this system for nearly 2 years and never realised you could change angle. What would we do without this Forum. Just changed the angle and it doesn't p,55 me off anymore.

Never had a problem with reception of the TV since mounting the two antennas vertically at the top of windscreen sides. As for radio, again no problem, but I run this to a CB Aerial.
Post #556696 17th Aug 2016 3:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Does it have TV included as the package then?
Mine didn't but of course out of date now.

It's not cheap as a single purchase but if you compare to versions with addition boxes and parts etc it is.

In a Defender it needs to be built well, no flimsy rubbish.
Post #556707 17th Aug 2016 4:34pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The TV is a separate module/unit that you can mount anywhere like the subwoofer or amp. I believe the newer 503 has a DAB module you can use, but don't know whether it would work on the 502. In theory it should, but its an expensive way of finding out if you buy one and it doesn't work.
The only thing I would say about the 502 and the 503 is that their SatNav mapping is a bit antiquated compared to what else is on the market. Still bl..y good for a single din unit though. DVD's play pretty well too.
Post #556716 17th Aug 2016 5:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I can understand what you mean, many cars now also are with their in-built systems.
The GUI will remain the same and very little software changes bar just map updates.
Some manufacturers offer updates on CD @ about £100 a pop just for mapping updates.

It's all gone pretty ridiculous cost wise for most people.
You can never stay up to date either as hardly any hardware is 'future proof'.
Post #556744 17th Aug 2016 7:29pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
I like the idea of "one unit does all" with Sat nav,, Rev camera etc altho not fussed about t.v. although i'm interested in what else is needed for this or dvd and have looked at this unit.
The angle thread was interesting as I wondered if the screen could be seen easily vertical.
What's the score with map updates as I have a couple of super duper Garmins (one with dashcam) which have lifetime map and traffic updates, does this have traffic and wondered how much is it to update and how does the sat nav compare to a Garmin as a couple of replies on here mention £100 CD's (custom90steve)+ antiquated mapping (smb) ??
Does the unit not flip the screen up on start up or do you have to do it manually as Walfy said his doesn't close automatically when turning the ignition off and is it pretty much a plug + play swap ??
It'd be going into a year old 90 with upgrade audio (amp) etc and I guess it will support this ??

Thanks,

Mark
Post #557648 21st Aug 2016 11:37am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Wheel - It should be capable of all that you mention, often just hidden in the settings.
My Kenwood is capable of all what you mentioned and is nearly 10 years old now so I'm pretty sure the modern Calrion can.

I mentioned CD's as not so long ago vehicle manufacturers would sell map updates on a CD.
Nissan, was an example and to update it would be on disc and was £80 - £120 and were released yearly.

However, direct to manufacturer this is mostly done via Firmware update via PC download off the internet.
Then loaded onto a USB drive or something like that.

Ma updates are often larger but much the same procedure, sometimes now they are free or £20 or so now.

It was a good money spinner at the time for those that dropped for it.

All aftermarket HU's pretty mcih will be capable of wiring a sub and amp to.
They only need 12v remote turn on and RCS pre outs.

Thumbs Up
Post #557655 21st Aug 2016 11:59am
walfy

Wheel wrote:
I like the idea of "one unit does all" with Sat nav,, Rev camera etc altho not fussed about t.v. although i'm interested in what else is needed for this or dvd and have looked at this unit.
The angle thread was interesting as I wondered if the screen could be seen easily vertical.
What's the score with map updates as I have a couple of super duper Garmins (one with dashcam) which have lifetime map and traffic updates, does this have traffic and wondered how much is it to update and how does the sat nav compare to a Garmin as a couple of replies on here mention £100 CD's (custom90steve)+ antiquated mapping (smb) ??
Does the unit not flip the screen up on start up or do you have to do it manually as Walfy said his doesn't close automatically when turning the ignition off and is it pretty much a plug + play swap ??
It'd be going into a year old 90 with upgrade audio (amp) etc and I guess it will support this ??

Thanks,

Mark

I have found the setting where the screen opens once it has ignition power, but I can't find a setting to close it down after ign is off. Anyone else found this magic button?
With this model there is a micro SD card that you holds the maps. It sits in the side of the unit next to the screen open button 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #557656 21st Aug 2016 12:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
SD Card is good, fast, hi capacity and small. Thumbs Up
Post #557665 21st Aug 2016 1:05pm
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
Likeomg wrote:
if you press and hold the 'open' button, a tilt up/down thing appears and you can adjust the angle...

I just came across this thread.

My screen stopped coming fully out – I thought it was faulty and was about to bin it and put a double din in!!!
I never even gave it a thought that there could be a setting that had been somehow changed – so thank you!!
Post #568605 4th Oct 2016 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12