↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 24 <123 4 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Looking Good Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #567049 27th Sep 2016 4:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Very Happy

I hope to get time to replace a leaky sump gasket at the weekend and then it's sound proofing and interior trim. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #567105 27th Sep 2016 6:45pm
LandRoverAnorak

Well, I started replacing a leaky sump gasket at the weekend but rain stopped play, so I finished today. As is often the way though, what should have been straightforward ended up being a complete sod of a job.

Click image to enlarge

The first problem was that I couldn't get the sump off. It did come off eventually, after much prying and levering, and it was immediately obvious what was wrong. Whoever had been there before had stuck the sump on with some sort of silicon Rolling Eyes No gasket at all. I then spent a joyless couple of hours carefully cleaning the sump, the engine mating face and all twenty bolts to remove all of the silicon and the thick layer of crud that had accumulated as a result of the leak:

Click image to enlarge

With everything finally nice and clean, I positioned the new gasket ready for fitting. I know that there are several schools of thought about gasket sealant but this cork gasket came with explicit instructions not to use any. They also suggested using a small amount of superglue to hold it in position whilst fitting, which is what I did:

Click image to enlarge

The bolts are just to align it whilst the glue sets.

All of this worked very well and getting the sump back into position was relatively straightforward. I also fitted a new sump plug and washer.

The next issue was removing the old oil filter, which I think had been tightened by a gorilla. It did finally relent and, after cleaning up the mating face, a new filter was installed.

I then re-filled with oil and started it up and all was good. Well, mostly. There was a small weep from the filter, which was annoying. There was no obvious reason why and, as it's only slight, I'm going to run it as is for the time being. I may well change to a different filter brand next time (both old and new were Mahle) to see if that makes a difference.

On a more positive note, I've spent a bit of time cleaning and painting the three access panels to the seat box. I've also taken delivery of a box of Silentcoat and a Hardura mat set. There is no matting in it at all, at the moment, and it's like driving around inside a drum, so sound proofing is high on my priority list!

Other minor victories include removing a very rattley and worn turbo heat shield (not sure what to do about that yet) and tightening a slack exhaust clamp where it meets the turbo, which has stopped it blowing.

Jobs added to the 'list of things to do' include repairing the wiring to the rear washer pump (damaged whilst removing dip stick Rolling Eyes ), sorting a poor connection on the rear NS indicator and working out why the low fuel light is lit all of the time.

I hope to get to the more fun stuff soon... Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Jul 2017 4:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #568984 5th Oct 2016 8:57pm
L110CDL

England 
Glad you got it all sorted out and done in the end Thumbs Up Just a thought, but just before you put the new oil filter on, did you put some oil on your finger and run/rub it around on the rubber ring, that helps to make a good seal Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #569002 5th Oct 2016 9:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, I did put some new oil on the seal. Darren

Post #569041 6th Oct 2016 5:53am
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #569184 6th Oct 2016 7:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

More tinkering time today:

Fixed the indicator - it's a worn housing so I've tweaked the contacts as a short term fix as all of the lights are on the
cards for replacement.

Tried to fix the horn but concluded that it's dead and needs replacement Rolling Eyes

Had a quick look at the low fuel light but couldn't find anything obvious. Then got bored of just fixing things and decided to bolt some stuff on instead.

Started simple with some stainless screws for the headlight surrounds and wingtop vents:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not quite stainless, but some blackened screws for the intake vent to replace the counter sunk wood screws that were there Shocked

Click image to enlarge

I then fitted my favourite grab handles to the rear crossmember, which was more involved than expected. I had to remove the rear light guards, which meant removing some of the crossmember tab bolts and left a variety of holes in the bodywork Rolling Eyes The tab bolts were replaced with some stainless allen bolts smeared in Duralac and the bodywork holes were plugged with similar for the time being.

When I finally got to the grab handles, they too were secured with stainless bolts, but this time into mounting plates with tapped holes for inside the crossmember.

Click image to enlarge

And the things finally in place:

Click image to enlarge

At some point, the crossmember, handles and tow bar will get re-painted as it's all a bit flat at the moment. Cosmetic stuff like that is a lot further down the priority list, though. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Jul 2017 4:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #569194 6th Oct 2016 7:59pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Full set of lights here sat in a box

Yours if you're passing
Post #569218 6th Oct 2016 10:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Matt, but I've already got a set in a box ready to go. I just need to convert the wiring to Econoseal connectors, for which I've just ordered all of the bits. Darren

Post #569240 7th Oct 2016 6:34am
LandRoverAnorak

Another days' fettling has seen some tangible progress and a dent in the stack of parts I've been collecting.

First up are the seat box access panels: over the last few days I've been diligently spraying them with light coats of paint - Smoothrite on the inside faces and enamel on the outsides over a zinc primer base.

Click image to enlarge

New sticky back neoprene seals and job's a good 'un:

Click image to enlarge

Next up was replacing some of the switchgear - the infamous headlight switch and also the indicator stalk.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Comparing the new with the old reveals the weakness of the headlight switch.

Click image to enlarge

The old switch shows quite a lot of corrosion to the contacts and, although difficult to see, the plastic was discoloured due to heat:

Click image to enlarge

All of the new contacts have been given a blast of electrical contact cleaner before use but eventually I'll rewire the headlights via some relays to spare the switch of the load.

Interesting fact of the day: all of the nuts and bolts that secure the column switch gear are Imperial Rolling Eyes

I also paid a paid a visit to Challenger 4x4, which I've never used before despite being just down the road. I picked up a new horn for a very reasonable price but I'm painting the bracket before fitting, so that's a job for tomorrow. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Jul 2017 4:26pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #569350 7th Oct 2016 5:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

After painting the horn bracket (and those for the radiator as it was easy to do at the same time) yesterday evening, it had dried overnight and was ready for fitting. Complete with new Bearmach horn:

Click image to enlarge

And all bolted into place with new stainless bolts:

Click image to enlarge

The wiring had been re-routed to suit the poorly installed air horns so that had to be rectified, which included a new rubber grommet where it passed through the inner wing.

Went out for a run this morning and took the opportunity to get some decent overall pictures. First up, the rear to better show the new grab handles and the lack of light guards:

Click image to enlarge

And finally for now, a typical 3/4 front:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Jul 2017 4:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #569463 8th Oct 2016 9:55am
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Looks fantastic! It's given me a few ideas inc. side steps and I like those grab handles too! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #569483 8th Oct 2016 12:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Very Happy The side steps came with it and I'm not sure about them, to be honest. They may be a bit too modern for the look that I'm going for, although they serve a purpose for the time being.

The grab handles though, are something else. They are actually a 'deluxe' item from Series Land Rover days and are reasonably rare. I've always liked the look of them and this is the third Land Rover that I've fitted a pair to. Darren

Post #569488 8th Oct 2016 12:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

After completing the transfer online, I fitted my cherished plates today:

Click image to enlarge

The beauty of this sort of thing on a Defender is that it really does blur the age Cool Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Jul 2017 4:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #569729 9th Oct 2016 6:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Great on going transformation Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #569754 9th Oct 2016 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 24 <123 4 ... 222324>