↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > De-cat pipe installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defenda

Jamaica 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
De-cat pipe installation
I am looking for advice on the installation of a De-cat pipe on the puma engine. The cat has a bracket that bolts to the engine, the de-cat pipe that I have bought doesn't have one, I am curious if this additional support is no longer required as the replacement pipe should weigh less that the converter or the bracket needs to be fabricated.

The second item of concern is the heat shield. The converter has 2 mouting points for the heatshield which are also no longer usable once the converter is removed. Can the heat shield be installed less these mounting points, or is it no longer necessary as the converter has been removed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Post #56034 1st Feb 2011 5:41pm
Peter Td4

Belgium 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
Hi Defenda,

Welcome Very Happy

As for your second item, I suggest to check on the recent feedback from K9F:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/post55938.html#55938 Peter,

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Puma
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
Post #56042 1st Feb 2011 6:47pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Defenda!

The catalytic convereter is a complete b45tard to remove and my engine had to be jacked slightly (only 5mm or so) to get it out! Unless of course you want to angle grind and cut it out, both the front crossmember and the front propshaft will have to be unbolted! The De Cat pipe should have a flange with four studs fitted and it should bolt/fit directly onto your manifold below the turbo! The heatshield which is secured by three bolts accessable from the top and a further two bolts directly onto the catalytic converter accessed from under the vehicle must also be removed! The lower portion of the heatshield can be discarded as there is nothing to bolt it to after the decat pipe has been fitted! The catalytic converter runs cherry-red hot your decat pipe will not! It is still adviseable in my opinion to refit the top portion! As the upper portion of the heatshield rested on the turbo I got two stainless jubillee clips and joined them together you will need a 100-120mm clip and a 60-80mm to achieve a circumference measurement of approximately 450mm! I then cut two small slots in the heatshield resecured the top three bolts and fed the jubillee clips through the shield and round the turbo! Without securing the heatshield it will flap about and vibrate significantly! Hope this helps, I think it is better to have a heatshield regardless of the fact you no longer have the cat! As to you not having a mounting flange that would take quite a bit of welding and engineering, you could 'rob' the one off your cat, alternatively source a decat pipe with the flange on, there are several recommendations on the site! Hope this helps! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #56081 1st Feb 2011 9:00pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
i have been informed today by land rover my warranty is void because of a straight through exhaust ?

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #56083 1st Feb 2011 9:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
big steve wrote:
i have been informed today by land rover my warranty is void because of a straight through exhaust ?

steve

Does that really surprise you! Doesn't me! I still had a way to go on warranty but knew I was borderline before fitting the exhaust! Either 'take it on the chin and take the hit' or dare I say it keep 'schtum' and retain the old system 'Justin'......Just in case! Also depends on relationships with Service Managers. Some will bin off warranty work for the slightest modification others can be more tolerant in my experience!
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #56096 1st Feb 2011 9:36pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
well their saying its void because of

the exhaust (altho it has the origninal down pipe fitted atm )

a raised airt intake

supposedly remapped ecu altho its totally standard ?

im not happy atm the service maneger has sumthing against my truck i think

Big Cry 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #56100 1st Feb 2011 9:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Steve they voided my warranty to because of my straight through pipe
The easiest way to get your cat pipe of is with a big grinder saves all the Censored trying to get it out Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #56115 1st Feb 2011 9:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1