Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear NAS bumper...Please Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Rear NAS bumper...Please Help
Having a great, but also rubbish (substitute cr*p) day

Birthday today - got a great present a rear NAS bumper - so thought, would quickly fit it this morning and its a nightmare, dont know why but it is/has been and im at a loss on what to do.

Some minor bolt problems throughout - but the current major one the inserts that go in the jacking points - one of the bolts, one bolt from the kit didnt want to go in, the other did by hand and got reall tight, took out, checked (all ok) applied grease, it went a bit further, tight again, did above got within 5mm of being all the way home, it got really tight (also heard a slight crack noise) withdrew it. The threads on the bolt (extreme end) had flatterned. Big Cry

So got a new bolt - went in much better but has got tight about 50% in and now im worried about pushing through it with a socket in case the crack i heard was some welded nut going. Big Cry Big Cry

There are some other bolt problems with the stays attaching to the tank (so far they are not fitted) i had issues with the outside bolts, ending up reusing the torx ones fitted as standard as the provided ones again were not long enough. Thats before i mention some finish problems i had to repair Crying or Very sad

So really i need some thoughts/help on the current jacking point bolt problem - what should i do, it has not made my birthday the best ever, despite me loving it, so your input/suggestions would really help, obviously i dont want to shear anything not knowing how these threaded points fix.

Help Mike
Post #5081 27th Nov 2008 10:30pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
jeezus mate that sounds tragic !
Just ordered one myself now wondering if I should not bother ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #5084 27th Nov 2008 10:53pm
mse

It is and ive no idea what to do with this bolt.

So far the issues were:
Coating damage (ive fixed that)
The stay bar between bumper and bottom of crossmemeber - issues fitting due to CSW rear step (got that in eventually)
Bolt issues with the bolts each side for the seat
Bolts no fitting the extension stays into the ready made bolt holds (not yet sure how to progress this)
and finally this bolt which is my biggest headache.

Im wondering if i should send it back, but with the repairs ive done to fit it, they probably wouldnt have it back.

If i can get this bolt issue sorted (my big worry if you havent guessed) im sure i can overcome the rest. It looks good. (i need to talk to you so ill send a pm!) Mike
Post #5086 27th Nov 2008 10:58pm
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
If the holes are threaded there may be some rust or paint that needs to be removed. Tap them out with a suitable size tap first.

If they go through the jacking holes these may have been distorted due to jacking the vehicle up at some stage. Personally I would get a drill about 0.1 or 0.2mm larger tahn the bolt and run it through first. Repaint the tube or apply grease where the metal/paint is removed. If the bolt passes through the hole without the step on it then I would be looking at opening out the holes in the step slightly. Don't give up. Sometimes these things take a bit of fine tuning. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #5090 27th Nov 2008 11:19pm
mse

Thats reassuring - thanks.

I didnt think of re tapping the hole.

hopefully ive not damaged anything holding it in place - i think it looks like removing it at the weekend and exploring it in more detail, with a view to retapping the hole. Mike
Post #5092 27th Nov 2008 11:43pm
mse

Well i removed it had one look and contacted the dealers - they were as good as gold and its going back and a new one is in the post.

hopefully second time is a charm. Mike
Post #5102 28th Nov 2008 2:08pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Happy Birthday anyway Mike. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #5109 28th Nov 2008 5:57pm
mse

THank you - hopefully alls well that ends well. Mike
Post #5110 28th Nov 2008 8:58pm
Maryland 110

United States 1983 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Belize Green
MSE,
I had similar problems when I fitted a NAS bumper to my 83. The jack holes typically have years of rust build up and I ended up using an 8lb hammer and a block of wood to encourage the bumper into place. Once on the truck I had the same issue as you only I was using an impact gun and twisted the bolt right off so had to drill it out and retap. As a precation I retapped the other side as well and everything went smoothly.
Cheers,
Doug
Post #5600 17th Dec 2008 4:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

This was brand new, but its been replaced and the new one is on and fits perfectly.

The old one was faulty, its a shame the finish on the new one was almost perfect. Mike
Post #5606 17th Dec 2008 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1