Home > Puma (Tdci) > CHT and ECT, Puma 2.4 vs. 2.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
CHT and ECT, Puma 2.4 vs. 2.2
Hi all knowledgeable people Smile

I am a tad confused now, reading the workshop manual for the MY2007 Puma 2.4, mentions of the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor and CHT (cylinder head temperature sensor) are all mixed up - Once the workshop manual states that "The CHT sensor is located in the top hose at the coolant manifold junction. The ECT sensor provides the ECM and the instrument cluster with engine coolant temperature status" which doesn't seem right, whereas further in the document, it's stated that "The CHT sensor is located at the centre rear of the cylinder head (transmission end). The sensor measures the temperature of the cylinder head and not the temperature of the coolant." which is more accurate, but then where is the ECT...

Looking at the Workshop manual for the MY2012 2.2 Puma, there really are two different sensors apparently, the "engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is installed in the radiator upper hose, in the tee connection with the thermostat hose." and there is a detailed procedure to remove/replace the ECT sensors on a 2.2.

You can clearly see it on these pics of a 2.2:

http://carproductstested.com/wp-content/up...-37341.jpg

Thus my question, is there an ECT sensor on a 2.4 Puma (or just the CHT sensor) and if so where is it located? Rolling Eyes “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #559875 30th Aug 2016 7:38am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
2.4 only has cylinder head temp sensor, fitted at rear of head.
Post #559882 30th Aug 2016 8:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1