↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Alarm "issue"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Alarm "issue"
My TD5 has the standard alarm immob fitted, 2 key fobs, speedometer red led arming light etc.

Immob works perfectly - cannot start the car without disarming the thing.

Now, my problem is there does not actually seem to be a siren fitted anywhere, or if there is, it ain't working and I cannot find it.

Tried using my Nanocom to fire the siren - nothing.

Tried setting off the alarm whilst in the car & armed - no sound, except for a tripping of what I assume to be a relay behind the instrument cluster

Have spoken to a couple of alarm companies who do everything from add ons to existing remote locking & immob systems, to completely new system.

Apparently I have 3 options:

1) Try to make existing set up work - as I do not even get hazard flash or horn sound (only sign of arming is clunk of locks, disarming single flash of interior light and clunk of locks)

2) Add on alarm system to existing central locking & immob - means I will have 2 key fobs, and need both to disarm each of the 2 systems.

3) Rip out the factory system, and replace with entirely new alarm / immob - problem with this is no one wants to touch it - not local elec whizz kid, not alarm companies etc, and I really no not want to have to trundle to Landy Dealer and pay massive labour rates.

HELP!!! Am I missing something obvious here. Have done all the standard fuse checking etc., and Nanocom shows no fault on AS10 module, just cannot sound alarm or get arming indicator etc. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #54088 20th Jan 2011 12:18pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Does your horn work off the stalk?

My TD5 alarm work off the cars horn, went off on Monday night and scared the hell out of me.
Post #54091 20th Jan 2011 1:07pm
daviec1

yep - horn works perfectly using the stalk 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #54093 20th Jan 2011 1:40pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: Alarm "issue"
daviec1 wrote:
3) Rip out the factory system, and replace with entirely new alarm / immob - problem with this is no one wants to touch it - not local elec whizz kid, not alarm companies etc, and I really no not want to have to trundle to Landy Dealer and pay massive labour rates.

The problem with this one is that the ECU for the TD5 needs the AS10 unit fitted to work. When you disarm the immobilizer it sends a signal to the ECU telling it to let the engine run, no signal and the engine wont run. You can have this programmed out but you need to be talking to somebody like Pete from BAS to get this sorted. Fitting a new AS10 unit may help but the problem may not be with the unit but there are 2 types of AS10 so make sure you get the right one if you try it.

There is a alarm sounder as well as the horn on a TD5 but im not saying where on a open forum, you never know who is reading! Have you tried reading the settings for your alarm and seeing how its set? It may just want changing in the settings to get it working again.

Pete.
Post #54123 20th Jan 2011 3:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daviec1

Thanks to Pete for his PMs.

I decided to spend this afternoon completely cleaning the under seat fuse box, and the in cabin one. Each fuse out, quick blast of compressed air, and then replace

So I come to the under seat fusebox, where I have already checked every fuse, get to fuse number 6 (15AMP) for the alarm. Still intact - take it out, blast with air, fuse back in and finish up.

Test alarm - WOW.

Flashing hazards, horn sounding etc. etc. etc.

Never knew Land Rover had such a modern feature as a alarm that actually made noise Laughing

No idea how anything got away down into the connectors for this particular fuse, and did NOT short the fuse out. Do not know what it is, and now, don't really care.

Just goes to prove - clean, clean & clean again. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #54140 20th Jan 2011 5:43pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Glad it was something simple! Nice to know that the immobiliser and CDL still work when the fuse for the alarm is blown (or bad contact in this case), im sure it will come up again sometime and we now know where to start looking.

Pete.
Post #54144 20th Jan 2011 6:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1