↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Time to get round to the rebuild....open diary with pics.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Penguin

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Chawton White
Thumbs up! 28/02 - Loss of a good friend...

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.
Post #500804 5th Feb 2016 12:40pm
L110CDL

England 
Getting there HB, the weathers not good to Monday/Tuesday next week, you might have a few more extra days at it Thumbs Up

Cheers

Clayton.
Post #501020 5th Feb 2016 9:21pm
Hairy Beekeeper

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 130 200 Tdi HCPU Aintree Green
Wow, that took much longer than I expected to get round to it!
In Feb the heater in the camper van needed looking at. After swapping it for another one, that had issues too. The decision was made to fabricate and fit a log burner instead. A great idea as we were heading to Scotland during the cold season, but it did mean reconfiguring the layout to make it fit. That took most of the month (including the road trip) and the back to work catching up until now!

As the engine has been standing in the workshop for a while, there was a small build up of surface rust on the crankshaft which needed polishing off. This was done with a fine grade cloth backed sandpaper. sanding all of the friction surfaces until shiny again. Then washed off with fresh parafin.

Click image to enlarge

the oil channel was blasted with the air line one more time before cleaning and fitting the piston oil jets.

Click image to enlarge

Then the Crankshaft main bearing shells and thrust washers were fitted with copious amounts of oil.

Click image to enlarge

The crankshaft is now nesting nicely in place whilst I research the torque settings for all of the parts.
Incidentally, does anyone have a link to such information to hand?

My rebuild has been really slow so far, embarrassingly slow. In the past I've managed to build a 100" hybrid in less than a month and stretch a 110 in a week, not bad at all when you think of everything that goes into it (bodywork, brake lines prop shaft, fuel lines electrics chassis etc...

Now that the tree surgery season is generally calming down, I hope to spend a lot more time with my spanner in my hand and get on with it. On the plus side, it's a lot warmer now than when I started!

HB Currently rebuilding my stretched 110 (now 122) to personal spec, probably going to be a double cab dropside, but not fully decided yet. So I've started at the front end first!
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic41658.html

"Sorry love, don't make me choose between you and my Lanny. You won't like the answer....."
Post #518579 28th Mar 2016 8:49pm
L110CDL

England 
Great update HB, many thanks Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #518611 28th Mar 2016 9:19pm
Timo

Canada 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
Nice work and interesting thread. Thanks for posting

Sometimes life just gets in the way

Cheers Series II in pieces
1984 Defender 110 (3.5l V8 now 300TDI)
Post #520253 2nd Apr 2016 1:02pm
Hairy Beekeeper

I booked a few days off work. "Are you going anywhere nice?" -yes, I'm going into the workshop with Clara...

It took half the morning to find the bench again and make it useable, it's amazing how much crap builds up in such a short space of time!

Reading the post, I have realised that I didn't get round to mentioning the piston fitting.
A relatively straight forward process with the right tools. But you know how it is, many moons ago when making space in the tool box, finding that rusty piston ring compressor and thinking 'I'll never use that' After checking anyway, I did indeed throw it out, so improvisation was necessary. I'm sure I'm not the first person to use a jubilee clip as a piston ring compressor, but if you're thinking about it, it works! I chose to use one and not 2 together so that the rings didn't catch on the gap inbetween, all it meant was moving it once the lower ring was in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I used a soft rubber mallet to tap the piston into the honed cylinder bores, with copious amounts of fresh oil. Currently rebuilding my stretched 110 (now 122) to personal spec, probably going to be a double cab dropside, but not fully decided yet. So I've started at the front end first!

"Sorry love, don't make me choose between you and my Lanny. You won't like the answer....."
Post #546770 7th Jul 2016 9:23am
Hairy Beekeeper

Before continuing, I checked that I'd correctly torqued up the exposed, but soon to be concealed nuts and bolts for the oil jets, bearing clamps and con-rod clamps. It's always worth double checking these things when you can, it's really difficult to do it later in the build.

I dug out the oil pump from the box of parts and cleaned the majority of the dirt off.

Click image to enlarge

Next I stripped it for inspection. Being rather simple, it doesn't have that many moving parts or bearings as such.

Click image to enlarge

There was a little bit of wear on the drive shaft, but this was well within acceptable levels, so it was re-used.
The components were cleaned and checked before refitting. The old oil seal had gone hard and started to crack, which was duly replaced (and would have been done regardless anyway).

The oil pump was reassembled and primed with vaseline. I was given this tip by an old engineer, He said that it breaks down very quickly in the oil and then gets removed anyway at the first running in oil change. The pump torqued up (just the housing bolts, as the filter has a lock washer). Then given a final clean with brake cleaning fluid.

Click image to enlarge

I then spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the ladder chassis. I decided to clean up some of the rough external edges from the casting process. I left it last night in the workshop with the first layer of HT paint drying whilst I went to a meeting (yes, I know I said I was on holiday!)

So back to the workshop, via the kettle... Currently rebuilding my stretched 110 (now 122) to personal spec, probably going to be a double cab dropside, but not fully decided yet. So I've started at the front end first!

Post #546773 7th Jul 2016 9:49am
Hairy Beekeeper

September already, how did that happen?

I have now managed to get my project to the top of my priority list (I know, it should be there already) and fully intend to crack on with it.

I did have some more picture of the chassis repairs but the memory card decided to lose them...

The chassis is in relatively good condition for it's age, I replaced the O/S bulkhead outrigger as a matter of due course.
The whole chassis was cleaned down and prepared for cleaning - a job that takes much, much longer than anticipated.

I found it easier to paint it wish the chassis upside down, this allowed me to let the paint run into some of the nooks and crannies, especially the narrow parts of the radius arm mounts.

First layer is red oxide primer, as is the second.
the third is satin black chassis paint (which also has zinc in it)
I will do another layer of black when the weather allows and then turn it back the right way.

Yesterday I started cleaning up the suspension components ready for painting. I was amused to find an old Leyland symbol on the front radius arms, I wonder how long they lasted and if they can still be found on the newer ones!

the first layer of paint was a thin one, just to get a good grip onto the metal.

Click image to enlarge

I am in the process of welding some angle iron to the rear radius arms, with the intention of giving them a bit more strength. When you look at them, it makes you wonder how they manage to do all of the work they do as they are!
Ive got them tacked so far, I'm now waiting for some more welding wire to be delivered.

In the meantime I'll keep cleaning up the other parts ready for paint and refit, that and more trips to Paddocks on the motorbike! Currently rebuilding my stretched 110 (now 122) to personal spec, probably going to be a double cab dropside, but not fully decided yet. So I've started at the front end first!

Post #567251 28th Sep 2016 9:49am
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the nice update HB, just one thing, did you paint the yellow parts in your kitchen Shocked Rolling with laughter 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #567431 28th Sep 2016 8:58pm
Hairy Beekeeper

Is there any other way? Cool Currently rebuilding my stretched 110 (now 122) to personal spec, probably going to be a double cab dropside, but not fully decided yet. So I've started at the front end first!

Post #567512 29th Sep 2016 8:01am
L110CDL

England 
Spot on there HB Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #568104 1st Oct 2016 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123