↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Have you experienced a reliable Puma?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
20000km, one new clutch at 17000km, use mainly off road really good and no driveline clunks etc at all
Post #51808 8th Jan 2011 7:43pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
In the past we have had a series 2 109, Series 3 88, 110 300TDI & 110 TD5 The TDI was totaly reliable and never let us down in any way. but this one (TDCI Puma - Ed! ) is by far the best of the bunch so far.
I must confess that I do like the less tech engine of the TDI for looking after and MPG - but the power, low noise and speed (and heaters!!) makes the TDCI brill. Thumbs Up

It's a bit over 3 yrs old now having coverd c.60k miles, we got it at 18 mths old and have added most of the miles & since then its had one new EGR valve and a couple of little niggles (back door lock not locking, sticking rear sliding windows, and loose door seals) but has been driven to Venice and back over the swiss alps, used as a camper every month and covers a lot of motorway miles each month as well as lots of country roads in Cornwall. Embarassed

We've had landrovers so long now I cant imagine how people live with normal cars!!
So the short answer is Yes (but am making sure that I can Touch wood!!) Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126

Last edited by wyvern on 9th Jan 2011 1:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #51810 8th Jan 2011 7:51pm
Arctic

Do any of you have concerns about the period after the 3 year warranty has run out? Do you think they will get very expensive to maintain and run? Would it be possible to but a Tdi engine (for example) in a new defender later?
Post #51846 8th Jan 2011 9:17pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Arctic wrote:
Do any of you have concerns about the period after the 3 year warranty has run out? Do you think they will get very expensive to maintain and run? Would it be possible to but a Tdi engine (for example) in a new defender later?

Everyone seems to think that the Puma is like a D4 or FFRR. The base vehicle is pretty much the same before. The engine is simple.... only thing is that you need electronic diagnostic which is remedied by Nanocom Evo, Hawkeye etc.

A water pump is a water pump whether it is for a 300tdi or a TDCi.... if anything the TDCi parts would be cheaper because of the wider range of use.

Glyn Sheep
Post #51850 8th Jan 2011 9:28pm
Arctic

Cheers, that is a fair point. I have just been concerned about being faced with a lot of expensive problems after the 3 year warranty has expired. The more complex the vehicle, the more expensive of course. I fix my Series II myself, it is simple and reliable. Faults are easily found and very easily fixed.

I do see your point though. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned.
Post #51872 8th Jan 2011 10:01pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Very reliable. Just 3 clucthes and a twisted flywheel. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #51881 8th Jan 2011 10:40pm
Arctic

Surely it would be cheaper for Land Rover to fix the problems rather than to live with them! Think of the Mercedes G-Wagen... 3 diff locks and up to circa. 500hp available on some models... haven't heard of clutch issues there. You'd expect Land Rover to be able to design a 122hp Defender to be reliable.
Post #51883 8th Jan 2011 10:46pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mines a 2010 model, only problem - number plate light and a note under the bonnet stating "NO CLUTCH".

Not many KMs on it yet.
Post #51916 9th Jan 2011 8:44am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
ours has been ok,just the dealer that is crap 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #51917 9th Jan 2011 9:25am
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Which dealer was that?

Chris.
Post #51935 9th Jan 2011 11:44am
pom

remember most people come looking on forums because they have a problem or niggle they need help with, so you tend to get a bit of a distorted picture.

Personally only had a couple of niggles with mine, certainly nothing that would stop me buying another.

Pom
Post #51938 9th Jan 2011 11:50am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
pom wrote:
remember most people come looking on forums because they have a problem or niggle they need help with, so you tend to get a bit of a distorted picture.

Indeed. I know someone in SA who bought one of the first Pumas to land here in 2007 and he's had no trouble whatsoever with it Shocked
Post #51947 9th Jan 2011 12:15pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Arctic wrote:

Hi Arctic,
I prefered the older engine just because it was less techinical to me, I am not a spanner type person and the sparky bits and the computer stuff is a tad off my remit for messing arround with ... (I'm a Nurse - so like to keep my hands clean if poss nowadays Embarassed Laughing Laughing !)
However as Glyn said - the machicine is a tool to be used and the engine is very common, so I guess that there will be things that need fixing and need to put my hand in my pocket (and get them grubby... Big Cry ) to keep it in good condition - but that is the same as any vehicle.

TDI engine swap - no thanks - I'll loose so much more than I'll gain ... the jump in power from the TDI to the TD 5 had a good wow factor and the jump from the TD5 to the TDCI more so (very much more so) so to go back and start from the basic TDI would be a bit of a big shock. I really love the big beast!
I'll keep the new monster under the bonnet and learn about fixing it as I go. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #51962 9th Jan 2011 2:00pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I picked up ours in November 2009 with 5K miles on the clock, from James French in Oxfordshire.

I've had no major issues, and I've put nearly 21K miles on it. Hope to keep it that way (touch wood). I enjoy every second of driving it, it is a wonderful vehicle.

I use it mostly on paved roads; it's big role is ferrying us and our stuff back and forth between Oxfordshire and Eastern Europe.

The main issue I did have with it was a dodgy rear halfshaft, which was was swapped out. In spite of this, the 110 has always been usable. Even with the dodgy half shaft we were able to make a 3000-mile round trip, it just made some extra clunking noises.

Minor issues have been: leaky rear diff (replaced seal under warranty), exclusion seals on the doors falling off, a rusty rear step (replaced under warranty), squeaky driver & rear seats.

It is going in for it's 24K service shortly, and the only big issue I have is that the clutch (spring and plastic pedal part) squeal/screech badly. The warmer it gets, the louder the noise gets. Lithium grease, WD-40 - I've tried them and they don't work for more than 30 minutes.
Post #51963 9th Jan 2011 2:19pm
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I've had niggles, many of which have been mentioned elsewhere on here, for example the EGR valve and leaking window seals, but what made it worse was the naff dealer, who just adds to the frustration much more than the original fault, like pointing out to them exactly where the windscreen seal was leaking, only to be told afterwards that they had resealed a door seal! I could see the water dripping from the bottom edge of the dash on the passenger side, 6" away from the door with no signs of water from the door to the bottom of the dash! How much more help finding and fixing a fault do they need!!!

Perhaps we should have a reliable/not reliable dealer thread? Mind you, it's not just Land Rover dealers that are, in my experience, naff. My old Rover dealer was decent for car sales, but naff for service. The same goes for a local Ford dealer. I ordered a spare wheel kit (wheel & jack etc.,) for my girlfriends KA middle of last June. I was told that it would take a week at the most and I would be called when it was in stock. A week went by and no call, so as I was in the area I popped in, yet still not in stock and the parts bloke would rather sit infront of his computer screen than serve customers. Over another week went by, but nothing. After around a month I gave up and to this day I have never had a call.

Back to topic. In short, with my 90, the niggly faults have been made far worse by the inept service department at my local Land Rover dealer.

28k miles up and the clutch is still fine, fingers crossed as it's out of warranty in March.

Chris.
Post #51964 9th Jan 2011 2:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>