↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tuff Trek TT-02
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Tuff Trek TT-02
Hey peeps looking at the Tuff Trek TT-02 possibly 1.8 if they still have them but have a couple of questions.
1 will be either going on a roof rack or on bars across a roof rack and opening SIDE WAYS, will it fit side ways as ive seen pictures but only of Mitsubishi with it open side ways!!
2 What length is the mattress as they seem to be all over the place some are 160 others are 180 or even 200s
3 Read a few reviews and they seem really good for the UK but anyone had any issues yet?
4 Does anyone know of any Defender2 sellers that sell Tuff Trek or should I just go to them direct??

Cheers
Post #515970 19th Mar 2016 2:23pm
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
I just saw this.....I'll make it clear I do have a vested interest Smile so I'll just keep my answers very factual. Hope it's ok to answer?

Yes, a 1.8m wide TT-02 will fit comfortably on decent bars (check they have sufficient load rating) or most racks. The tent will be 1.2m wide across the roof in the closed position if opening over the side (from left - right hand side of vehicle).

Mattress is a touch under 2.4m long as the floor is 2.4m long x 1.8m wide.

FYI latest version of the TT-02s will have some small modifications to further improve performance Smile

There are no resellers allowed for Tuff-TrekŪ products presently Smile

Hope this helps?

Thanks
Dara
Thumbs Up Mr. Green
Post #516007 19th Mar 2016 6:57pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I can answer as a completely independent person.

Me and Joe_130 have ordered two 1.8m tents from Dara, we did a vast amount of research before ordering. Our tents are on order, haven't received them yet, but so far I'd say from comparisons, the quality is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of usages, and you could buy several of these tents for the price of the most expensive competitor on the market. We simply couldn't see the point, and we walked round and assessed many of them. Yes there appears to be a slight delta in the quality of the canvas, but the lighter weight lower room would appear to be a benefit not a disadvantage and the competitors appear to do similar, can't see why you would spend more on this type of tent unless using it every weekend in which case I can see a point to the heavier canvas.... But the extra weight and time to dry would still offset this for us. Mattress was very comfy when we tested it at the show. Doesn't appear to need a topper or similar.

Dara is very good to deal with, very helpful, put up with all our questions!!! Looking forward to receiving ours. Will happily feed back on here once we've used them.
Post #516044 19th Mar 2016 8:55pm
dave18

Dara, Matt thanks for the reply. Dara was not aware you were on this forum as have read a fair few reviews where your name and company have been shining bright, My current roof rack probably weighs more than the landy its self its a full length flat ( not one of them that slopes at the front) Galvanised box section with the same box section being used for the deck both for and aft and left right. I plan to mount the tent on some good quality roof bars onto of the rack or make some out of box section steel so I don't have to damage the rack, This would lift the tent approx. 8 - 10" im aware of the concern for COG but have seen similar with no ill affect on a stock 110.

I would probably invest in the Storm fly and storm poles to be on the safe side any ways so that would make things better, Im not a fan of paying loads just for a name im a fan of paying for quality that matches my intended use. So if I intend to use something very infrequently and it wont be a needed item cheap is good, If I need it a lot or its a life or death tool then I will pay for quality. This is near the later end of the scale

If anyone else has any views please shout out

Dara, If you have any hand in the website it might be worth trying to alter it a bit so there is a spec section maybe with comparison table or something as I know a lot of the info is there but its not in an easy to view layout. more of a brochure . cheers
Post #516114 20th Mar 2016 7:40am
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
I've been on d2 since before we started & just enjoy the forum for what it is (really useful source of info with some nice folk) so keep a low profile Whistle
Didn't know you where on here Mat& Joe!
I'll try & do something with site - thanks for feedback Dave Thumbs Up
FYI If you go higher you'll definately need a ladder extension & annex extension section (no problem with either) . Another good option to avoid damage to your rack is to use stable matting or other thick rubber underneath the tent rails.
I'll go back to lurking now!

Cheers,
Dara
Post #516188 20th Mar 2016 4:46pm
dave18

Dara cheers for PM and reply, when I said damaging roof rack I meant having to cut the sides off to allow it to open as its a real nice solid bit of kit and the sides are very usefull
Post #516234 20th Mar 2016 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1