↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > New stereo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
New stereo
The stereo in the Puma stopped playing the cds so I did a search for a replacement unit and this is what I found.
The unit that failed was a replacement unit supplied under warranty. It is similar to the unit with the cd/aux functions here @ €456.93 plus postage.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Land-Rover-Defender...xyyq5TKbZJ
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Land-Rover-Defender...xyyq5TKbZJ
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Land-Rover-Defender...y4eJTKbQs.
I thought these were very expensive so I bought this at Halfords for £55
http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-aud...car-stereo It has Radio, cd player, aux and USB facilities.
If the link does not work it is Pioneer DEH-1800 UB car stereo.
We had a Pioneer cd changer in the tdi for years and it never gave any bother so I opted for Pioneer this time.
Though Halfords offer a fitting service for £30 I thought I'd try it myself. I asked the assistant to check what removal keys I'd need for the existing Land Rover unit. He came out to the Puma with me and "accidently" removed the old unit and left it sitting on the seat. He gave me idiot proof fitting instructions for the new unit and the wife and I had it fitted before we left the carpark.
Very happy with the new unit and with the exemplary service from the assistant. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #510416 3rd Mar 2016 5:07pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
The older I'm getting the more I complain about bad service and lets face it, there's loads about.

BUT when I experience good service, like it seems you have here, I also make the effort to speak to the manager and compliment the individual involved.

A phone call is all it takes - but its worth seeing the expression on their face when I walk in and ask to see the manager, and then praise the individual involved. I get the impression that it rarely happens though.

Nick
Post #510435 3rd Mar 2016 6:03pm
jimbob7

MY oem Landrover tape player was originally made by VDO Siemens,I assume all Landrover brands were made by the same. which are about the worse ICE you can buy,EVER.The same oem for Vauxhall and DAF,in my experience are the utter most unreliable worst sounding crap ever.. For 456EU,I'm pretty sure you can buy Pioneer reference series.
FWIW,I have a cheapish Pioneer,first class sound,second class build quality!! Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #510436 3rd Mar 2016 6:03pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Leviathan wrote:
The older I'm getting the more I complain about bad service and lets face it, there's loads about.

BUT when I experience good service, like it seems you have here, I also make the effort to speak to the manager and compliment the individual involved.

A phone call is all it takes - but its worth seeing the expression on their face when I walk in and ask to see the manager, and then praise the individual involved. I get the impression that it rarely happens though.

Nick

Filled in an online questionnaire and gave full credit to the helpful and pleasant assistant. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #510446 3rd Mar 2016 6:23pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
Pioneer are pretty good and the unit you bought from Halfords has a USB port which is a useful feature. It is quite amazing just how much music you can fit on a memory stick!

Not a bad price from Halfords, but there are bargains to be had on eBay! It was good of the assistant to remove the old unit for you though!

If the old head unit is fitted with the standard connectors the units can be swapped in minutes as you discovered!
Post #510541 3rd Mar 2016 11:37pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
I just bought virtually the same Pioneer deck for my TD5 two weeks ago after the LR tape deck "bit the biscuit".
The only difference with mine is I opted for the Blue Tooth version.
Im very happy with the sound and the price was only 90 Euros (65 GBPish??)at Media Markt.

Only problem is that it instantly connects to my iPhone whenever I get in the car and starts playing music from the phone.

A little disconcerting the first few times, but once I came to grips that "Skynet had become self aware", I now am enjoying what is now probably the most sophisticated piece of electronics on board the Defender.

Patrick
Post #510598 4th Mar 2016 9:15am
spudfan

Ireland 
Regarding the USB and it's storage capacity, it's actually wasted on me as I don't listen to music while driving as I find it distracting! I just put the radio on low. However the wife has been using the USB facility since the unit was installed yesterday. Her music doesn't distract me as I don't like it!!I like to listen to "Radio Land Rover 2402 cc FM" Mr. Green
It does sound rather mellow compared to "Radio Land Rover 200 tdi FM" and when I tune into "Radio Land Rover 88 2.25 DIESEL FM" it sounds downright classical!
Looks like the radio will have to come out soon as the lower area on the heating controls looks as if it needs a bulb or two replaced. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #510853 4th Mar 2016 11:55pm
Doubledoom

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
I just replaced the alpine CDE133BT with an alpine CDE195BT on my puma.

It was mostly plug and play. The cables were like for like but the cage was different. That added a couple of minutes getting the old cage out. Slotting the 195 in took a little more work as there isnt a lot of space behind when the cables start folding up. Nothing scary but just awkward in having to slide it in and out and try and position the wires so they didnt fold the wrong way.

It is a very nice unit. Has variable colours so you can get it to match your dashboard (if you so wish). Auto plays bluetooth when engine starts which was one of my main reasons for getting it. I didnt want cables from the unit to an ipod or a USB stick sticking out - so have a phone with a 128gb sd card on it with all my music and podcasts. Mediamonkey app keeps the audio app running in a mode to auto start (from where left off) when paired with the car and syncs wirelessly with the pc to update playcounts, playlists and podcasts etc).

Sound is a little better than the 133 but it is the speakers that are the problem but they are on my list of things to sort. The system will match nicely with the new speakers and sub when done. Main sound improvement is the levelling ability between different sources. Bluetooth is much quieter than radio. There is a +/- 14db adjustment allowance for each source. So, I was able to get proper balance. The 133 didnt allow as great an adjustment and was insufficient to get a matched source level.

Another little niggle with the 133 was that moving the volume up from just 2 to 3 made a significant difference. it was either too quiet or two loud. Ridiculous that the volume would be too loud at setting 3 and that was with maximum decrease on source volume adjustment. The 195 doesnt have that issue. The volume is comfortable around setting 12 and the range is much smoother when moving the volume up/down. Not the big jumps between each level that the 133 had.

One really minor niggle is the design. Alpine made it that the left side has most of the buttons and they are raised a little higher than the display area on the right. The raised level gets greater as it moves away from centre to the edge. No problem with that I hear you say and you are would be right when looking straight at it or not installed. However, when sitting in the driver position at night, it looks as if it is not sitting in the slot correctly. It is purely an illusion but it irritates my OCD side.
Post #512828 10th Mar 2016 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1