Home > General & Technical (L663) > Evolution or Revolution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Evolution or Revolution
The next Defender....

Should it be an evolution of the last Defender, and risk being not taken seriously, due to less rivets and post war construction methods?

Or should it be what the Land Rover originally was conceived as, a functional tool, using the best materials and methods available to get the job done?

An article in pistonheads broaches the subject...and a good take on why not to go the "retro" route....

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/blog/r...blog/33778

Quote:
.......we get new Mustangs that look like old Mustangs, modern Minis that look like classic ones (OK, they're stretching that one to the absolute limit) and a continuing craze for butchering nice old 911s to make them look a bit like newer ones. Credit to former Lamborghini boss Stephan Winkelmann for holding out against demand for the Miura rehash - will new man Domenicali be able to resist?

The key one for me in this will be what Land Rover decides to do with its eventual Defender replacement. If it's truly honest to the original it won't necessarily look like it. It'll be strictly functional, its style dictated by the materials and construction methods used to build it as the first one was back in the day. If it sticks true to this yet looks nothing like the old Defender it'll be more true to Land Rover values than any retro rehash. Can they resist the temptation though?

I hope they can.
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #509253 29th Feb 2016 12:48pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Good spot and a point well made. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #509257 29th Feb 2016 1:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
On a different subject but similar ideology, this is where I am with my house refurb, build date of around 1548 grade 11 listed.
They used materials and build methods that would have been the latest available to them back in the day.
I am now re-building the house, so do I rebuild the house using the old systems ie mud and horsehair for the walls and leaded windows with thin glass etc or go with the up to date systems available to me ie insulated woodwool panels for the walls and double glazing so on and so on.
Having had several conversations with the local conservation officer I have convinced them that the original builders would have fitted double glazing and thermal/acoustic insulation in the walls along with central heating. I have been given the Thumbs Up to proceed and re build the house with all modern systems, however in a sympathetic way to preserve the building.

So yea Land Rover build us a functional Defender and use up to date components and construction methods just like you did back then Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #509290 29th Feb 2016 3:34pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Andrew, I have a word of warning for you regarding your house. Don't just take the "thumbs up" from your local conservation officer, get it in writing from them and the planners. House in the next village to us which is Grade 2 listed and in a conservation area has had to remove the double glazing units and replace with single glazing. I know from my own experience that a lot depends on your own local planners but I've also learnt to get everything in writing from them.

Remember that Planning is not a science it is a very dark art! Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #509302 29th Feb 2016 4:43pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Andrew, so I guess if ever you get to “do up” a Series I, you'll be putting a Honda hybrid engine in it? Replace the Crittall windows in an Art Deco house with UPVC?

There's restoration, refurbishment, renovation… and sacrilege.

Peter
Post #509362 29th Feb 2016 8:03pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Rolling Eyes Yawn Yawn Yawn You clearly didn't read the bit where I mentioned. In a sympathetic way to preserve the building ffs.

Yes everything is in writing Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #509386 29th Feb 2016 9:13pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
f you were to do up a series 1 as a museum piece it would be standard, as a daily driver a modern diesel or even there was an all electric version - why not?

To replace Crittalls with uvpc wouldn't look right, but high efficiency aluminium with similar looks should be a no brainer,

I wish all conservation / planners would get their heads around people want a home & not to live in a museum, yes keep the outside looks and style and don't ruin the fabric of the building but allow the 21st century in!

Keith
Post #509387 29th Feb 2016 9:15pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Evolution or Revolution
Wild Card 90 wrote:
The next Defender....

Should it be an evolution of the last Defender, and risk being not taken seriously, due to less rivets and post war construction methods?

Or should it be what the Land Rover originally was conceived as, a functional tool, using the best materials and methods available to get the job done?

Well Gerry McG seems to be the mouthpiece for LR at the moment and he's all about design, engineering seems to come a very poor second:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post508360.html#508360
Post #509402 29th Feb 2016 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1