↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Strange Central Locking Issue !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
christyler

Strange Central Locking Issue !!
Having recently got this 2005 TD5 90, I have been doing a few small job on it today. One of the things i had to do was fix the central locking and the alarm.

Here is the story, when you press lock on the keyfob it dosent lock but the indicators flash it also goes through the motions of unlocking, indicators but no unlocking.
Also if you open a door when it's supposedly locked the alarm goes off but no noise, there is however a relay clicking on and off. After a bit of poking about i found a relay base that was corroded, when i fixed this the alarm was fully functional.

On to the centeral locking, first i took the doors apart and checked the locking motors, they seemed to be ok. I powered them in both directions and they worked fine, during my investigation i noticed that the loom from the door pillar to the door had been repaired before (badly) once i had fixed it properly and it was still not working the next move was to look at the output from the alarm/locking ecu, when i checked it there was nothing comeing out of it. As all the alarm functions were working correctly i had assumed that the ecu was fine, However as it appeard to not be outputing the power for the door motors i decided to open it up and take a look.

Mutch to my supprise when i did i found out why it wasent locking, the components that do the locking were missing!! as in not there at all.
The only explanation i can think of is that at some stage the alarm ecu was changed by someone and a non locking one was put in ??

So me being me i set about modifiying the ecu to do the locking, i had a couple of dil relays knocking about so i installed them into the ecu, it's not pritty but it works. Now the central locking is working fine and all is well in the world.

Pictures in my Gallery.
Post #50173 29th Dec 2010 9:38pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Nice work Chris.

Done anything more with the tub cover?
Post #50175 29th Dec 2010 9:43pm
christyler

TC wrote:
Nice work Chris.

Done anything more with the tub cover?

Not yet, its impossable to work here at the moment, snow, rain, dark every time you go to do anything. i am working outside so it dosent help.
I have done some measuring and cutting of alluminum so should be able to get the lid/frame in this week end, if it dosent rain.
Post #50176 29th Dec 2010 9:48pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Good stuff Thumbs Up
Post #50184 29th Dec 2010 10:27pm
Vixen

Australia 
I found with my 2006 td5 that I had to be within a metre of the thing for the central locking to work, and sometimes it would not work unless you were even closer.

Apparently the aerial (?) in the bodywork is not very long......Land Rover made it longer and no further issues. Apparently her in Aus at least, this has been a bit of a problem.

Anyone else found this?
Post #50186 29th Dec 2010 10:33pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Vixen wrote:
I found with my 2006 td5 that I had to be within a metre of the thing for the central locking to work, and sometimes it would not work unless you were even closer.

Apparently the aerial (?) in the bodywork is not very long......Land Rover made it longer and no further issues. Apparently her in Aus at least, this has been a bit of a problem.

Anyone else found this?

If you find the wire you can extend it into the roof and this solves the problem. The wire is the short one, i think orange and white but dont quote me on that (there is only one short wire however), on the alarm ECU, which for security reasons im not posting the location on a open forum but if you PM me i will tell you where it is.

With new batterys in my fob i can lock and unlock at 25 metres, before i had to be in touching distance of the door.

Pete.
Post #50191 29th Dec 2010 10:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christyler

Antenna Wire
Its easy to spot the antenna wire, Its the one not connected to anything
Post #50280 30th Dec 2010 1:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1