↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Mongolia Expedition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Mongolia Expedition
Anyone know if there's any such thing? I've had a quick scooch around the internet but can't seem to find anything. Or anyone actually driven it themselves?

A mate of mine has mentioned doing the Mongol Rally, but I think if I was going to go that far I'd like to do it at my own pace and in my own car.

Having said that, it'd be at least a couple of years off, as buying a house takes more priority apparently Rolling Eyes
Post #48321 13th Dec 2010 1:27am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Post #48323 13th Dec 2010 1:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I worked in the middle of the Gobi desert in Mongolia for just over a year providing medical cover for an oil company - it is a truly fab place!!
There are a few on the LRUK site that have driven there and back with good information and documentation,
I'd love to go back - but not till I've got enough cash saved up and can get some serious off work time !

enjoy the planning! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #48334 13th Dec 2010 12:28pm
warren

I remember watching The Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman and thinking to myself I need to visit Mongolia! Looking at pictures it really does look like an amazing place. There was a report in LRO about a year or so back about a group of people who took a Td5 to Mongolia and donated it, all adding fuel to my 'must go to Mongolia' fire.

I've looked at a the Mongol Rally, and although it looks like awesome fun I think I'd miss out on too much. I did a charity banger rally through Europe a couple of years ago, it was fun, but the driving all day to a destination, sleeping, and then driving again the next day you missed alsorts out.

Then again there'd be the experience of the Rally...... On the other hand I'd much prefer to do it at my own pace in my own car, and thats the side I'm swaying too.

Plenty of time to decide yet though, and to study the e-mongol website Laurie posted. Going to pay the Landy off first and then decide that getting on the property ladder will be too expensive.................... Whistle
Post #48380 13th Dec 2010 6:43pm
steveandlooby

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi Warren,

I'm not mad then! I spend most of my spare time planning my trip in 2yrs time (or might be next week the way work is going). We intend to just take off and head for OZ and see how far we can get. I've done quite a lot on our route through Kazakhstan and Mongolia. Look at Ron and Viv Moon's site: http://www.guidebooks.com.au/Russia%20Mong...erland.htm

Where do people get all the money to do all this travelling? - I'll be selling my house.
Post #48554 14th Dec 2010 6:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warren

Great website that! Always depressing reading stuff like that and then having to go to work again the next day...

Your trip sounds awesome! I've always fancied taking Big Black on a world tour, but money and the real world keeps putting a stop to that!

The Global Discovery Expedition write ups in LRO always made interesting reading too, just a shame there seems to be no dedicated website for it.
Post #48641 15th Dec 2010 6:55pm
steveandlooby

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Warren

you may also be interested in this - 2011 Royal Geographical Society Overland Workshop - it will be the Saturday and Sunday of the 28/29 May, at Terrington near York.

This event is run by Sam Watson and it would be an understatement of the highest order to say he is enthusiastic about overland travel. This was a fantastic weekend among 150 or so overlanders. Loads of info and loads of beer and BBQ.

i can't recommend it enough and will definately be there this year if I do nothing else. Camp in your vehicle Frid to Sunday and .........£10.00!!!!!

Steve
Post #48651 15th Dec 2010 9:05pm
warren

Well that's my first entry into next years calendar, and only a couple of hours or so away from me so it'd be rude not to go!
Post #48679 16th Dec 2010 1:28am
tacr2man

This will give you a bit of an insight http://www.overlandwithkids.com/ also do a search on "the HUBB" HTSH
Post #49968 28th Dec 2010 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1