↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The XM25
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
The XM25
No hiding place from new U.S. Army rifles that use radio-controlled smart bullets

Weapon hailed as a game-changer that can fire up and over barriers and down into trenches
Soldiers will start using them in Afghanistan later this month
The U.S. army is to begin using a futuristic rifle that fires radio-controlled 'smart' bullets in Afghanistan for the first time, it has emerged.

The XM25 rifle uses bullets that be programmed to explode when they have travelled a set distance, allowing enemies to be targeted no matter where they are hiding.

The rifle also has a range of 2,300 feet making it possible to hit target which are well out of the reach of conventional rifles.

The XM25 is being developed specially for the U.S. army and will be deployed with troops from later this month, it was revealed today.

The XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 2,300 feet - and is to be deployed in Afghanistan this month

The rifle's gunsight uses a laser rangefinder to determine the exact distance to the obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 3 metres from that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or beside the target.

Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers hidden in trenches rather than calling in air strikes.

The 25-millimetre round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the gunsight as to the precise distance to the target.

Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the system, described the weapon as a ?game-changer? that other nations will try and copy.

He expects the Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year, enough for every member of the infantry and special forces.

Lehner told FoxNews: ?With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever.

?Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away.?

Experts say the rifle means that enemy troops will no longer be safe if they take cover

The XM25 appears perfect weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking cover to fire ocasionally.

The weapon's laser finder would work out how far away the enemy was and then the U.S. soldier would add one metre using a button near the trigger. When fired, the explosive round would carry exactly one metre past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade above the Taliban fighter.

The army's project manager for new weapons, Douglas Tamilio, said: ''This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we've been able to develop and deploy.'

A patent granted to the bullet's maker, Alliant Techsystems, reveals that the chip can calculate how far it has travelled.

Mr Tamilio said: 'You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost ?43,000. These rounds will end up costing ?15.50 apiece. They're relatively cheap.

Lehner added: ?This is a game-changer. The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if not thousands of years.

?Well, they can't do that anymore. We're taking that cover from them and there's only two outcomes: We're going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee.?

The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds, but its makers say that it might later use versions with smaller explosive charges that aim to stun rather than kill.

One of the revolutionary bullets which can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are hiding NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #49840 26th Dec 2010 10:12pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Then the enemy gets them as well
Post #49843 26th Dec 2010 10:24pm
fekete

Some rifle though in it Cool wait till the kids get them round here ? NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #49844 26th Dec 2010 10:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Not so new or as cheap look HERE

Question is how many more British troops will be killed by so called 'friendly' fire?

Now do you think that American troops will deliberately get as close as 2,300 of the enemy?? That is less then half a mile!

Now what killed the Scottish hostage in Afghanistan????

Brendan

PS What was the saying about WW2, British officers, German soldiers and American equipment??
Post #49846 26th Dec 2010 10:42pm
fekete

Brendan if the First prototypes was out in 2005 what have they out now ? NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #49849 26th Dec 2010 10:50pm
walfy

It was showcased on "future Weapons" , on Discovery channel about 12 months ago. Looks a good weapon. Firing a round with pinpoint accurancy to then explode in the middle of the room. Looks like a winner to me. As long as the Yanks understand how to employ it properly. Firing above an open battle trench is good but the way the Yanks lose kit it won't bew to long before AQ will be adding it to their armoury Crying or Very sad 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #49852 26th Dec 2010 11:06pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I have no idea.

WW2 USAF were dropping bombs from 10,000 feet in daylight and blanket bombing. RAF flying in low to pin point bomb bridges.

Yugoslavia? USAF flying Hercules in once every 2 days from Italy and refusing to switch off engines. RAF, three sorties a day 6 days a week and stopping engines to uplift critically injured civilans.

Afghanistan? US special forces throw a fragmentation hand grenade into a room containing a UK hostage!

Guantanamo Bay? Detention Camp where they hold non tried prisoners against American Law and the UN Charter of Human Rights.

Cuba? Basically the US ignore world opinion where they deliberately subject innocent people to famine and deprive them of basic medical requirements against the UN Charter of Human Rights.

Yes they may be able to kill more people at more remote distances by use of technology. I just wonder how many innocent people the US have killed in Afghanistan?

When will the US start to respect the human rights of non American citizens?? That will be a much greater leap forward then any technological 'advance' in weapons.

Despite all their so called 'smart' weapons the US has not learnt anything about winning hearts and minds.

Brendan
Post #49853 26th Dec 2010 11:23pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Not bad a little weapon.... but not to be funny I will stick to my GPMG..... will never let you down or have 'technical' problems.

leeds wrote:

Now what killed the Scottish hostage in Afghanistan????

Brendan

He killed himself.

I have no sympathy for workers out in hostile areas... they get paid 100 times more than troops and the majority of the time they are much safer- if you are worried about being taken hostage don't go out there.

Glyn Sheep
Post #49856 27th Dec 2010 8:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
He was a SHE

So non combatant civilians suffer and should continue to suffer with no aid just because their country has been invaded?

Hearts and minds??

Brendan
Post #49860 27th Dec 2010 8:58am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
leeds wrote:
He was a SHE

So non combatant civilians suffer and should continue to suffer with no aid just because their country has been invaded?

Hearts and minds??

Brendan

I am not saying it is acceptable,

People do things for reasons.... most of the civilian contractors out there do it for money- I worked alongside a Thalis rep. We both had the same training, and worked on the same equipment only 2 differences-

1. He was not allowed to leave the Main Operations Base so was as safe as being in UK where I spent 5 out of the 6 months out on the ground.

2. He earned more in the 2 months he spent out there than I did over the whole 6 months.

I am pointing out that if you aren't willing to take the risks involved don't do it. It is like putting your hand in a fire and not expecting to get burnt. Linda Norgrove was all about educating Afghan females which is against the insurgents beliefs as much as rape or murder is to ours so they will take action on it as we would.

Glyn Sheep
Post #49863 27th Dec 2010 9:26am
pom

cool tech I like it.

What the hell we doing in the stan I will never know. Soon as we leave it will revert back to type.

I think the yanks though do have the answer in the unmanned drones that can kill using missiles. Get all our troops out then just buy a bunch of these.

Does anyone not believe the taliban will take power the day after we all pull out a la vietnam style ?

I'd give the ex us oil consultant, karzi, about 10 mins before he's topped.

Pom
Post #49865 27th Dec 2010 9:37am
leeds

United Kingdom 
My main point is that the US has a track record of relying on trying to kill from a distance/'smart weapons'/blanket weapons whilst ignoring hearts and minds campaign, human rights etc

Brendan
Post #49872 27th Dec 2010 11:11am
walfy

Brendan

not knowing your full history it is hard to make an argument with you, but I have a feeling that you haven't served in HM Forces?? Therefore the arguments above are only what the press want you to know. There must of been sound tactical reasons for acting in the way they did. Be it not turning engines off or bombing people from a distance. Just because their tactics/doctrine is different to ours doesn't make it wrong.
As for men in orange boiler suits being held somewhere warm. Do you think that the inteligence gained from them hasn't benefitted us in the UK?? If you think it hasn't stopped attacks etc then you are a tad naive!!

As for civvys getting shot/killed in the sandpit. As Glyn has rightly said. THey go there with their eyes open to the risks, and their pay and conditions reflect that. They earn obscene amounts of money and yes they are in Afghan but they sit inside the wire and the only problem they face are when to have a shower or what to have for lunch.
I have no sympathy for any of them if they get injured or killed. It's not nice but that's a fact of working in a war zone! 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #49873 27th Dec 2010 11:55am
nakatanenga

Germany 
When will the US start to respect the human rights of non American citizens??

The leading class in the US needs to respect the human rights of their own american citizens first! Thats where it starts! WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #49882 27th Dec 2010 2:22pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
There are a number of blue on blue incidents carried out by US Forces that would make your blood curdle. I doubt details will ever be released. The smarter the weapons, the more allied forces they will kill in error. A very trigger happy nation. Brits serving alongside them are always nervous. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #49896 27th Dec 2010 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>