↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A Bar on 10 plate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I doubt it d make a great deal of difference in an impact at all but walking speed to be honest. especially to pedestrians. if you get hit by a defender doing 30 mph youre going to know about it, soft A bar or not. i take your point though about volvos reversing etc, so i guess for round town it might have a purpose
Post #48903 17th Dec 2010 11:36pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
This

Click image to enlarge

would do a decent job of deflecting reversing volvos! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

There again I found out that my red 110 could stop faster then the following Volvo! Result 110 one very, very slightly bent rear bumperette. Volvo? Offside wing, bonnet, front panel and I suspect radiator. Think that was 110 1 Volvo 0 Rolling with laughter

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #48906 18th Dec 2010 12:07am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Brendan,

What does the ARB bumper do fot your approach angle?

Russell Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #48916 18th Dec 2010 10:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
The approach angle on our red 110 is much better as we are running that on BFG 255/85 (33" diameter) with heavy duty suspension (ca. 2" lift) The winch bumper on red 110 is a Devon 4x4 bumper which sits on top of the chassis front legs. This has a much better approach angle then standard.

Our black 110 is on BFG 255/85/R16 which is 33" diameter compared to 31" of many tyres. It is on standard suspension at the moment rather then heavy duty. Winch sits lower then on red 110. I would imagine the approach angle is similar to a standard 110 on standard tyres. We will be putting heavy duty suspension on.

I don't have any side views to post up at the moment. I will try and take some side view photos during the week and possibly measure the angle.

The ARB winch bumper come complete to us with winch etc at the right price. Since our red 110 has been in Australia and taken out some roos/sheep/emu etc good protection is a must. Plan is for the black one to go out in a couple of years hence why I took up the offer of the ARB bumper.

HTH

Brendan
Post #48919 18th Dec 2010 11:49am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
RED-DOT wrote:
Ignorance of the law is no defence... just wait until you collide with someone. Soft A bars are the only way to go and we don't have any reason to fit metal ones.

Have you read the paper on it?

At no point does it go into vehicles manufactured after 2007..... just a-bars manufactured after 2007. It also points out that it isn't illegal to buy an A-bar manufactured pre 2007 and fit it to a vehicle (doesn't mention age of vehicle).

I was reading papers for days to make sure I was in the clear before I decided to go for the A-bar..... besides here in Germany they are 100 times more An@l about stuff like that.

Oh.... you can also have one if it has a purpose, e.g. you are a farmer and you use it for work.

Glyn Sheep
Post #48937 18th Dec 2010 6:59pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Its only illegal for dealers to fit from new

i have a steel a bar on my 08, insurance co know about it and it has made no difference to the price. I've seen driving lamps fitted to sot bars and they vibrate. for me steel is the only way to go.
Post #49024 19th Dec 2010 6:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
BigRuss wrote:
Brendan,

What does the ARB bumper do fot your approach angle?

Russell

Side view of black 110

Click image to enlarge

The standard approach angle of a Defender is 49 degrees

At end of ARB bumper it is 50 degrees, under the recovery eye it is 43 degrees and smallest approach angle is bolt head of the fairing and that is 41.5 degrees.

There is a lift going on so that should restore the approach angle.

Will do same with red 110 tomorrow.

HTH

Brendan

[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #49043 19th Dec 2010 8:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
A side view of the red 110 overland vehicle. This is on 255/85/R16 and has heavy duty suspension which gives about a 2" lift. Which bumper sits on top of front chassis legs

Click image to enlarge

The approach angle in front of the wheels is about 60 degrees. The lowest approach angle is in the middle and that is 54 degrees.

Hope the information helps people

Brendan

Post #49168 20th Dec 2010 8:41pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Cheers Brendan Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #49175 20th Dec 2010 9:59pm
discocuzzy

England 
I would be surprised if any insurance company knew what an Abar was unless its NFU...tried to explain my mods to an existing insurance company after the fella asked what a winch was i put the phone down Thud You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #49183 20th Dec 2010 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12