↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Trip to Switzerland 2016 help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Hi,
I'm on the east side, I live in Chur and drive to and fro UK in my 90.
I'd pick a route as direct as possible Calais - Zurich, not the satnav which will emphasise 130k motorways (not much use); close to Reims, Chalon-en-Champagne, Nancy, Baccarat, Selestat, the neat tunnel Maurice Lemaire, Colmar ... and so on
I drive to UK in a long day in summer time, take 2 days from UK and in winter. And I'm not young or quick.

The East side is quieter than the West, it is also german. Very german.
Once on the East side, Chur is quiet, lots of tourist things to do here, Austria and Liechentstein are close by. Then you can go over the Splügen to Italy, italy is at the top (2100m) and the Italian side down is a memory of a lifetime. Shocked Chiavenna is interesting (Crotto Umbro for a meal) and then to the lakes. Ascona is amazing, it is still Switzerland, therefore clean, ordered, expensive, but Italian in every respect of life. Have a coffee on the front and watch the parade...
Remember prices. A coffee in a cafe in Switzerland will cost 4 chf. The same coffee 10k down the road will cost 1.80 eur (and they are about = now). Same with meals, any service. Don't get your car repaired in Switzerland. I haven't worried abotu that. I just drive the TD5 and it just goes Smile Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #431748 17th Jun 2015 9:11pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
The New Lives of Decommissioned Swiss Army Bunkers
"Reuters photographer Arnd Wiegmann has been visiting and documenting some of the thousands of military bunkers and fortresses installed across Switzerland, most dating back to Word War II. Most of the bunkers have now been decommissioned and sold, as the threat of immediate invasion has disappeared. Many of the former fortresses now house museums, while others have become commercial ventures, becoming cheese aging warehouses, mushroom farms, hotels, and modern data centers."

Some cracking photos and ideas of different places to visit maybe:

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/01/t...rs/423057/

Click image to enlarge

The muzzle of a 15cm gun sticks out a chain-covered opening in the former Swiss artillery fortress Sasso da Pigna at the St. Gotthard mountain pass, Switzerland, on September 2, 2015
Post #490298 9th Jan 2016 5:06pm
CLCraig

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Stornoway Grey
That sounds awesome thank you for the advice
Post #490438 9th Jan 2016 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12