↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Garmin Montana 600
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LandyJames

United Kingdom 
Garmin Montana 600
Anyone using one, or used one? Drawn to it due to size of screen. Thoughts and comments please!
Post #485524 26th Dec 2015 2:53pm
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
Hi landjames,

I believe the Garmin Montana 600 is one of the best Sat Nav's you can buy. For a number of years I have used mine all over Europe. You will need the dash speaker mount to get the voice guidance, also the ordnance survey UK mapping for off road use.
Post #485771 27th Dec 2015 11:26am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Don't own one, but have used it. Very good. Been superseded by the 610. This might help:

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/m...rison.html Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #485774 27th Dec 2015 11:36am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What are you planning on using it for?

I looked at this but ended up with the Garmin 64s as I was mostly going to be using it outside the vehicle; and the latter is a better handheld package with the greater accuracy*. Still good for in vehicle although screen size is much smaller.

Some good offers at Go Outdoors on the 64 at the moment.

*edit - if you go for the current 610 version then that also has the dual receiver facility.
Post #485785 27th Dec 2015 12:03pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Got a Montana 650, which I think was a 600 + a built in camera. Camera is pointless really if you have a smartphone. In hindsight, the 600 would have been a better call.

Super bit of GPSr kit. Use it mostly for Geocaching and Laning and it's been handy as a sense check when we've done a few walks etc. Mine came with OS Landranger mapping included. I like the fact you can flip in three AA's as a backup when the rechargable battery is exhausted (never had a need to yet but it's a comfort if away from the vehicle and charging options).

I don't use it as a SatNav in the traditional sense as the Navmii app on my phone is super. Where the Montana comes into its own for me is that when laning, you can use its Nuvi SatNav functions to transit the regular road network to the starting point of each lane and then navigate the lane itself. If anything, this feature combined with Garmins 'base camp' software for planning the routes works better for me than Memory map. Dead handy, if (on my limited own planned and executed laning experience), you don't have a navigator with you.

Screen size clearly is a bonus which makes it a bit bulky as a hand held device but that's the trade off. I've got both the car and bike mounts too. Possibly a bit of overkill as none of this kit was cheap but it was a crimbo pressie to myself a year or two back, so fully justified Whistle

Downsides... Garmins base map is Censored (unless it's improved since I got mine), so you will need to source additional mapping. The OS Landranger mapping feels like it's been almost photocopied and scanned in, so, unlike MM mapping which is crystal clear, you might be a touch disappointed with Garmin's offerings (again, unless it's improved in the last year or two).

In summary, the device is super but you pay for it and the mapping offerings (that I have) are a touch disappointing quality wise. Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #485797 27th Dec 2015 12:35pm
Ohlins

France 
I've had one for several years. I find it a great bit of kit that I both use on the moto and in the 110.

I use mine extensively when in Morocco and what I would say is to use Open Street Map maps which are a free download,if you're ever over there. The Garmin mapping is terrible if you're thinking of going any distance off road.

In fact I tend to use OSM most of the time(you can switch from one mapping to the other in 'Settings')

The benefits of OSM is that it will route,off road,from one village to the other as the mapping shows extensive trails. These same types of trials will also be in the European maps.

A site that I also use to download trails is www.wiwkiloc.com This site has a tailer made icon to download direct to Garmin devices. I find all my Spanish trails from there.

If purchasing buy a screen protector and as an extra trip sometimes the unit will turn off by itself due to vibration,and if this occurs open the rear battery door and put a foam earplug against the door and the battery.This will stop it from happening.

What is also good about this unit is that if your main battery runs out you can use 3 AA batteries and continue,i.e.,walking around a city.

The screen quality in direct sunlight is excellent for use on a moto when the sun is behind me.....not as apparent in a 4X4 though.

Theres a couple of things hidden in the contents that are hard to find if you don't know where to look,eg ATM's are hidden in the Community section of the contents.

After experience I have my home screen set up with nine icons that control and cover all aspects of my travels at one touch,e.g. what time the sun sets to drive time to the next turn off. This took a bit of time to organise but al that to say I've no need to change to other screens.

Download maps to a micro SD card and off you go.

There are several useful features and after so many years with my unit I haven't felt the need to upgrade as mine is doing all that I require of it.

If anyone wants the Morocco map one can find it here,to include the usual stuff from ATM's and fuel etc.

http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php#

Europe etc

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Very Happy Army 110 3 Door 200tdi
Army 110 3 Door V8
Army Lightweight 2.25 Petrol
110 300tdi 5 door
Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
Post #487171 31st Dec 2015 9:56am
LandyJames

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Mainly wanted for in vehicle use, so the bulk/weight of it not a huge issue.

Bit the bullet and got one on Monday, as Go Outdoors had it at £299 including full GB OS map coverage. Had a very brief play with it on Tuesday as a Land Rover Experience Scotland, Adventure Trek (drive your own) day. Need to sit down and read the manual, and learn how it all works!

Anyway, thanks again for taking time to reply, and happy new year to you all.
Post #487806 2nd Jan 2016 3:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1