Home > Puma (Tdci) > **SOLVED** Puma Reversing Light Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
60North110

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
**SOLVED** Puma Reversing Light Problem
Hi All,

Came across this superb forum, which has already helped me with a couple of Puma issues, and here's hoping one of you can assist with this one...

Reversing Light is continually (but intermittently) blowing the fuse. Problem seems to lie from the output side of the reversing switch connector back towards the light.

Have checked all the wires that are visible, for any damage, all seems OK ... what I really need is the Wiring Diagram for the Reversing Light Circuit to continue my investigations.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance.

Eoin

Last edited by 60North110 on 5th Dec 2010 6:50pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #42429 11th Oct 2010 5:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have the reversing light gone on mine also. although as far as i'm aware the fuse is okay. (do you know where it is?) I have checked the bulb on mine and the holder on the fog side and thats all fine it seems on mine that it's either the switch or somthing else between there and the holder. Neutral
Post #42443 11th Oct 2010 6:40pm
60North110

The Fuse is in the Fuse Box below the Steering Wheel,
Fuse No F14 (Red 10 Amp)
Post #42447 11th Oct 2010 7:34pm
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
well my conection from wiring to bulb holder got totally fry'd, no idea as of yet Confused
Post #42466 11th Oct 2010 10:03pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
On mine the reversing lights regularly but not always flicker on and off when in reverse gear. Sometimes they work fine, but usually they flash randomly.

I think that the switch is probably defective, or the loom that connects onto the switch is damaged. Looking under the vehicle there is a large wiring bundle routed along the side of the gearbox which is routed in such a way as to jam really hard directly onto the switch terminals and I think that this is where the problem lies. Unfortunately moving the harness has not solved the problem, and I need to check the switch harness and probably replace the switch.

I don't know if this is a common problem but I do know that my local (and good) main dealer has had a switch on order for 6 weeks now and they are apparently on back order and not available (and the Puma switch is different to others since the gearbox is different).

In classic style too the switch is positioned with great care in the position of maximum inaccessibility - the WSM says to take the seatbox out to get at it!

It might be worth checking that the harness run on your vehicle isn't similarly positioned, since I think it is inevitable that harness damage will result if yours was built like mine.
Post #42467 11th Oct 2010 10:03pm
60North110

I originally assumed it to be a faulty switch, but after sliding underneath, disconnecting the switch connector and then placing a shorting link across the connector I was disappointed to find the fault still there.

Bit more experimenting today, and I finally found the link as to why it happens intermittently...

DON'T APPLY THE BRAKES !

All was fine until the brakes were applied then bang went the fuse (or the now fitted temporary Circuit Breaker as I was running out of fuses fast !)

A bit more thought, and I bit the bullet and have now taken a feed from the Reversing light earth wire, and have connected it straight to the chassis. A few test runs and the breaker only popped once (first time brakes applied).

Will be interesting to see if this IS an earthing problem.

If anyone has a lighting circuit diagram, that would be great.

Where is the common earth point for the rear lights, anyone found it yet ??
Post #42518 12th Oct 2010 1:11pm
60North110

Problem eventually sorted by dealer, who discovered chaffed wire in the Right Hand Side of the Engine Compartment "beside the red lifting bracket".

Haven't looked to see where exactly this is (dont wanna get wet rolling round all this snow on the deck !)

Just to close the thread, and to advise others who may have same problem at some time.
Post #47495 5th Dec 2010 6:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think I posted in another thread that I found the problem with my flickering reverse lights was caused by the switch not being fully screwed home into the gearbox - it was finger tight and went another couple of full turns. After tightening, lights are fine.
Post #47547 6th Dec 2010 9:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1