↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > New Horizons!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thank you again for all your wishes...the euphoria of landing the job I so desperately wanted has not settled yet...even told the assistant in Blockbuster my life story when she said "You look happy!" Laughing

Walfy....Have you got a job lined up yet? I found the resettlement process at Aldershot really beneficial and I had already secured another job prior to getting this one on the basis of what I achieved at Aldershot!!!

dm_td5...No the HMAS Jervis Bay is now called the Rapide...Ironically enough I too saw the HMAS Jervis Bay (well flew over it) as I too got caught up in the East Timor incident...I was on exercise in the South China Sea in 1999 in Malaysia and Singapore when it all kicked off and someone in the MOD twigged we were in the area and we could be a useful asset....I was working on VC10s at the time and we ferried Ghurkas from Darwin to East Timor. We stayed in Townsville as we couldn't get any digs in Darwin because as ever we arrived so late and the World's press had descended on the place and taken all the hotels etc...
Australia it has to be said was bl00dy brilliant 'Mad Cow' pub, Magnetic Island, me puking for an hour or so on way to Great Barrier Reef, spending couple of hours there and then puking all the way back again, I did kiss the ground back on land! Happy memories!!! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #41304 26th Sep 2010 8:47am
walfy

Didn't find the RRC that I used to be brilliant.
Not got a job yet but my quals are pretty narrow. But still have a spring in my step and will see what pans out. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #41307 26th Sep 2010 9:17am
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Magnetic Island... the only tourist resort that has signs on the beaches that warn of laser guided weapons being used in the area along with crocodiles and box jelly fish Laughing

Spent many years in Townsville, great place, as is Darwin. There was apparently several hundred UN Land Rovers put through the Port of Darwin during the East Timor crisis.

By the way, last time I heard about it the Mad Cow was a gay bar Laughing 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #41310 26th Sep 2010 10:18am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
wyvern wrote:
BigRuss wrote:

Wyvern's right there's loads of money to be made offshore.

What rig are you on?

Hi Russ,
I'm Medic/Safety officer on the Heather up in the Northern North Sea, East of Shetland ... Whistle
And you..?

Laughing Laughing
PSN Construction engineer (Contractor) for the Enquest E & C contract on the Heather and Thistle.Should be out on the Heather in the next month or so when the Hydrocyclone is installed.

Last edited by BigRuss on 26th Sep 2010 10:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #41311 26th Sep 2010 10:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigRuss

walfy wrote:
Not got a job yet but my quals are pretty narrow. But still have a spring in my step and will see what pans out.

What are your qualification?

Are you looking for an home every night job or a time for time?
Post #41312 26th Sep 2010 10:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

[quote="BigRuss"]
walfy wrote:
What are your qualification?Are you looking for an home every night job or a time for time?

BigRuss,

I went down the domestic electrical route and got a bag of City and Guilds in the process, Installation, 17th Edition, Inspection and Testing and PAT testing (still to do). On that strength I got a job with the local college as Estates Electrician but had another interview in the pipeline for a Marine Electrician post. The second interview panned out and I have secured an interesting and exciting job! Up until now I have been living in the 'Mess' from Monday - Friday but have a house in Bournemouth where my partner and our children live! The new job will mean living in a hotel for 3 months whilst the vessels are dry docked, thereafter I will be working on shift with I believe one week of four spent in St Malo in France. Interesting work, good salary (with Service pension better off than I am now), company vehicle and associated benefits. Either way I will be home a lot more than I am now, working where I want to be and not having to jump through as many hoops as I do now or listen to some tw4t that has a knitting degree and spent less time in the Service than I have stood in Naafi queues trying to reinvent the friggin' wheel to make his mark! Deep breath, rant mode off! (Don't set me off!) Laughing

I will be working with 'like minded' people in my new role (my boss and the guy I will be working with are both ex-Navy aircraft electricians whilst I am RAF) so needless to say there is a good rapport and I am already on the receiving end of some good banter! I was ready to leave and it feels good! It is akin to getting divorced but the financial swigommeter is definately in my favour this time!!

Happy days! Rolling with laughter

dm_td5 wrote:
By the way, last time I heard about it the Mad Cow was a gay bar Laughing

C'mere fancy a kiss? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #41313 26th Sep 2010 10:45am
walfy

BigRuss wrote:
walfy wrote:
Not got a job yet but my quals are pretty narrow. But still have a spring in my step and will see what pans out.

What are your qualification?

Are you looking for an home every night job or a time for time?

Russ

I'm a carpenter by trade but haven't touched the tools in best part of 20yrs. Due to my military background I have a few quals. Cets in management, C&G 7407 teaching qual, Taught security measures (a bit vague I know, but you don't know who is reading) In most part that means that I taught the process of finding and precisely locating devices that would do you harm. I'm also a qualified demolition Safety Officer.

My dream job would be working in the defence industry on the procurement side. But I'm not averse to teaching again. My teaching role was for 6 yrs. I can turn my hand to almost anything, within reason.
As for home everynight. If my job takes me away then so be it. But visiting the Mrs every now and again would be a bonus 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #41320 26th Sep 2010 12:51pm
BigRuss

Walfy

Well with your teaching in mind and the safety officer bit you could be very appealing to HSE companies in the oil industry. I know it may sound boring to some but then if you think £250-£500 (dependant on location on two weeks on two weeks off) a day is boring then so be it.
Post #41321 26th Sep 2010 1:13pm
walfy

No not boring at all. I have no formal HSE quals but I run the explosives account for my dept, run a fleet of 10 vehicles, COSHH account for my dept. And have a hand in the Fire Safety.
So I do have a very good understanding of HSE. Just no paper quals to back it up. I hadn't even thought of the oil industry.

The thing that puts me off is working on the rigs, is that you have to do the heli dunker?? Tried it once and swore blind I would never do it again!! 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #41322 26th Sep 2010 1:32pm
K9F

walfy wrote:
My dream job would be working in the defence industry on the procurement side.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Certainly wouldn't do a worse job than the individuals there at the moment! I know some people there, morale hanging out of it's proverbial backside and far from ideal working arrangements! They couldn't even procure their own working environment!!! 'Hot desking' due to not enough offices, no parking for staff and only 29 visitor parking slots! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Still got a strange suspicion things are about to change...Defence Review, Civil Service cutbacks, maybe you'll have somewhere to park after all if you do get your dream job!

MOD Abbey Wood were not really happy with their new look! They thought an element of credibility would be lost perhaps.....

I wish you all the best in your quest for a job, if you are going to pursue a career in procurement get some face paint, a red nose and a squirty flower! A thick skin and good sense of humour is also adviseable! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #41338 26th Sep 2010 7:10pm
walfy

Abbey Wood was on my list of places to work, but they then shut the door on recruitment. But on the job search websites external jobs there are beginning to appear again. So there is hope.
But open to all ideas Thumbs Up 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #41343 26th Sep 2010 7:51pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Congrats Thumbs Up

If you ever feel like doing some private contracting, I still haven't wired up my new headlights (shame on me) and am putting off the next phase of LR improvements because they're all electrical.

I was thinking a slap up dinner for you and the missus and a crate/barrel of pop for a few hours instruction Whistle

All the best Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #41351 26th Sep 2010 9:43pm
K9F

Alantd,

You and Karlos are obviously 'cut from the same cloth' he's got lights still waiting to be wired and other jobs pending! I don't start my new employment til November! Got own loft conversion wiring to do and a bedroom rewire thereafter I do have time on my hands if you wish to arrange something! Or I will have the time to help and advise.if you wish to get it done!
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #41355 26th Sep 2010 10:09pm
K9F

What a Nice Rack You've Got!!!!

Click image to enlarge

What else did you expect??? Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #47422 4th Dec 2010 10:12pm
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
You must have a Td5, cause they look smaller than the ones from my 300Tdi when I last cleaned them.

Click image to enlarge

Rolling with laughter 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #47465 5th Dec 2010 1:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12