↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Seat belt requirement for 1966 Series 2a.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Seat belt requirement for 1966 Series 2a.
I have a 1966 S2a which needs an MOT this week. The car is a 109 ex military soft top. As such it does not have a mounting for 3 point seat belts in the front.

It has a mounting for the lower lap belt in the bottom corner of the seat box, and it has mountings for the buckle end of the belt in the lower portion of the center bulkhead, between the front seats.

Previous to my ownership, someone had drilled the top rails of the rear tub to mount the shoulder point of 3 point seat belts. This is not a strengthened point, and is too low to comfortably wear the seat belt. These belts are non-retractable and are not in good condition.

My question is, for MOT purposes would lap belts be sufficient in this vehicle? The guide here http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm suggests not, andf that it should have 3 point belts, but it would appear that the soft top 2a did not have them from new, even in 1966.

I'm confused, and would appreciate what other vehicles of same vintage have fitted? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #471232 10th Nov 2015 10:27am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
See here

It has been a legal requirement for seat belts to be worn since 1983. However, new regulations were put in place in 2006, meaning various changes were introduced. Changes were particularly made in relation to children. So, who must wear a seat belt?

Children under the age of three cannot travel in a car that doesn’t have seat belts, or appropriate child restraints installed. Children up to 135cm tall (or 12 years old) must wear the correct child restraint. For example, a booster seat. If child restraints are not available in an instance, for example you are in a taxi, the children must use an adult seat belt. If a seat belt is not available, children between 3 and 12 years old (or 135cm tall) may travel unrestrained.

The driver is responsible for ensuring all passengers aged 12 and below comply with the rules. However, passengers aged 14 and above must take responsibility for their own safety. A fine of up to £500 can be given to a driver or passenger for violating the seat belt laws. Although it is more likely that the police will issue a fixed penalty notice, with a fine of £100.

The definitive answer to our previous question is, everyone. If seat belts/child restraints are fitted, they must be worn.

Are There Any Exceptions?

There are very few exceptions to seat belt laws. One is when a driver is reversing, as they may need to position themselves better in order to get a better view. A superviser watching a learner reverse may also undo their seat belt. Another exception is when you are told not to wear a seat belt for medical reasons by a doctor. In this case, the doctor will issue a ‘Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Seat Belt Wearing’. You must ensure you keep this in your vehicle at all times, so that you can show it to the police if you are stopped.

Here are a few other exceptions:

- A vehicle being used for police, fire and rescue services
- Passengers in a trade vehicle when investigating a fault
- Licensed taxi drivers who are ‘plying for hire’ or carrying passengers
- Travelling no more than 50 metres between stops on deliveries in a goods vehicle

Exceptions For Classic Cars

Until 1966, cars were often made without seat belts. Many manufacturers offered seat belts as extras to the car. Therefore, if you own a classic car and no seat belts are fitted as standard, you have no legal obligation to have them fitted. However you should bare in mind that young children will not be able to travel in your vehicle. Another question you must ask yourself is - will this affect your classic car insurance? This is something you should enquire about with your insurance company. Each company will have their own regulations, so make sure you ask first. You might even find that it’ll save money in the long run by buying seat belts. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #471240 10th Nov 2015 10:56am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Cars and light vans constructed after the end of 1964 but prior to 31 March 1987 must be fitted with seat belts for the driver’s seat and outer passenger seat (if fitted). No belt is required for a central front passenger seat.

Cars and light vans constructed after 1 April 1987 must be fitted with belts for each seat. Central seats may be lap belts only, others must be lap and diagonal.

So your vehicle must be fitted with three-point belts in the outer two front seat positions in order to pass the MOT test, lap straps alone are insufficient.

(The info in the first two paragraphs above was taken from the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs' website, fbhvc.co.uk).

Ian series 1 wrote:
... Until 1966, cars were often made without seat belts. Many manufacturers offered seat belts as extras to the car. Therefore, if you own a classic car and no seat belts are fitted as standard, you have no legal obligation to have them fitted. ...

Not wishing to pick hairs or be pedantic, but the sentence in italics is not strictly true. When the seatbelt leislation was introduced it was partly restrospective, since it had been a legal requirement from c.1965 that cars had to have suitable mounting points for seatbelts, although the seatbelts could be optional extras. From 1966, it was (a) a requirement that seatbelts be fitted as standard, and (b) cars which had been manufactured during the period when mountings were required but belts not required had to have belts retro-fitted. However the legal requirement to wear the belts only came in much later (about 1981 if I remember correctly).

It is therefore theoretically possible but highly unlikely that there may be some historic vehicles which have been off-the-road since 1965 where belts would have to be fitted before the car could be used on the road.

I distinctly remember my dad's Ford Cortina Mk1 going for a service in 1966 and coming back with the new-fangled seatbelts fitted. In those days inertia reels hadn't been invented and they were "static" belts, and as the car was a 2-door it meant that you used to get tangle up in the belt getting in and out of the back!

A long time ago now, though... Big Cry
Post #471251 10th Nov 2015 11:49am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Put a seat belt bar of some kind in, that will give you a raised mounting point for the upper belt fixing. Available as aftermarket options or the military 'roll hoop' kind I think have the mounting facility also.
Post #471301 10th Nov 2015 2:21pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Embarassed A year out I stand corrected Whistle

Last edited by Triggerfinger on 11th Nov 2015 12:38am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #471310 10th Nov 2015 3:05pm
blackwolf

A 1966 vehicle requires belts to be fitted, mounting points alone are insufficient.

Pre-1965 doesn't require belts.
Post #471336 10th Nov 2015 5:18pm
Gareth

I agree a 1966 vehicle needs belts. The question is how to safely fit 3 point to a soft top without using after market mounting bars. What did Land Rover do?

Bear in mind, mine came out of the army in 1972, and someone in the past has fitted 3 point static belts by drilling a hole.

I have had the vehicle 20 years and its only become an issue because one of the fitted 3 point belts is frayed. I have a lap belt ready to fit.

I will need to source a 3 point belt to fit. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #471358 10th Nov 2015 6:59pm
dorsetsmith

Post #471361 10th Nov 2015 7:16pm
Gareth

292 quid Surprised

Something to save up for. In the meantime, I have ordered a Halfords 3 point belt to get through mot, but I do like the look of that bar. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #471362 10th Nov 2015 7:20pm
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Quote:
The question is how to safely fit 3 point to a soft top without using after market mounting bars. What did Land Rover do?

Unfortunately I haven't found my "Optional Equipment" Catalogue since I moved house. But I seem to remember it was a system that fitted an inertia reel on a bracket on the inside of the tub, which then came up and over the shoulder, I think through some sort of loop riveted to the top of the seat to stop it sliding off the shoulder? I seem to remember the brakets were still available, at least up to about 10 years ago.

Hopefully that might trigger someone else's memory - or see if your local dealer or indie has the catalogue.

Good luck with the MOT!

[Edited to add: a quick search failed to find what I was looking for, but did reveal that Exmoor do a mounting bar for £112.50 + VAT http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/military...tail.html] That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not ... oh! That is a dent!

2014 90 XS SW
1997 Discovery 300TdiS (retired to stud)
1966 Series IIA 88" (now my son's)
2001 Astra - I need something to go and buy the parts when the others are off the road!
Post #471369 10th Nov 2015 7:37pm
ceefax

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I have a 1980 military Series 3 soft top. It was fitted with three static lap belts when de-mobbed from the army, and passed many MOT's without comment from the tester.

So to answer the original question, yes it requires belts, and yes, lap belts are perfectly acceptable (even after 2006 legislation change), as these are what the vehicle was supplied with new.

I fitted the Exmoor Trim seat belt bar and inertia belts a couple of years ago. The centre seat is still fitted with the lap belt, and each MOT the tester plugs it in to make sure the catch is working correctly.
Post #471374 10th Nov 2015 7:56pm
ceefax

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
.....although reading the MOT regs I think my tester might have been a bit lenient Embarassed
Post #471379 10th Nov 2015 8:16pm
dorsetsmith

GarethR wrote:
292 quid Surprised

Something to save up for. In the meantime, I have ordered a Halfords 3 point belt to get through mot, but I do like the look of that bar.

if you look up top i fond you sun more Exclamation
Post #471398 10th Nov 2015 9:25pm
Gareth

Excellent! thanks. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #471416 10th Nov 2015 9:59pm
blackwolf

ceefax wrote:
I have a 1980 military Series 3 soft top. It was fitted with three static lap belts when de-mobbed from the army, and passed many MOT's without comment from the tester.

So to answer the original question, yes it requires belts, and yes, lap belts are perfectly acceptable (even after 2006 legislation change), as these are what the vehicle was supplied with new.

I fitted the Exmoor Trim seat belt bar and inertia belts a couple of years ago. The centre seat is still fitted with the lap belt, and each MOT the tester plugs it in to make sure the catch is working correctly.

Bear in mind that military vehicles operated by the Crown are exempt from the need to comply with either the Construction & Use Regs or the Special Types Regs, so a military LR wouldn't need belts at all whilst in military service. The moment it is demobbed it would need belts which comply with C&U, ie 3-point. If you're lucky the tester may not know this!

This is the reason why vehicles like ex-military Bedford MK and MJ trucks have to have under-run and side impact protection bars fitted, and also (sadly) why fantastic off-road vehicles like to 8x8 Unipower TBT will never be demobbed into normal enthusiasts' hands - the Unipower is overwidth and would be difficult to operate even under Special Types. There are many ex-mil preserved vehicles currently seen out and about on the roads which are illegal through being overwidth and which probably wouldn't get through the registration process nowadays.
Post #471458 10th Nov 2015 11:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1