↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Does a CCTV solution exist for my situation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Scammel01

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Does a CCTV solution exist for my situation?
Good evening all,

I have been searching the Internet high and low to try and find a cctv solution to my situation....

My garage in which my Landy resides is separated from my house by about 50 metres. There are two houses (terrace) and 5 walls (although there is direct line of site from my house gable end to the garage). There is no power to the garage and I would struggle to get it there due to having to cross other people's properties with the cable in order to reach the garage.

Is there a CCTV system that could work in these circumstances? I would be happy to consider solar powered/battery solutions and any other 'outside of the box' ideas.

I have seen the cameras often used in isolated areas which trigger on movement detection but I am really after something that I can watch remotely from my house if required.

Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up

(PM me with details if you would rather keep your own solutions from the public forum) 58 plate Defender 90 Hard Top
Post #458096 25th Sep 2015 10:45pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/SolarPanel.html

Not sure about the monitoring side
Post #458105 25th Sep 2015 11:24pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
If you want a cheap and cheerful solution you could look at something like an Sricam AP009. It will run off a 12v supply so you can power it off a battery (maybe look at a solar panel to top the battery up) and it connects to your WiFi.

There are a number of things it can do including a live view from any device on your network, ftp and/or email of an image when it detects motion and ftp upload at specific time intervals. It also has infra red although the unit I played with didn't seem to work with IR for some reason, I think that's because it's faulty though. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #458108 25th Sep 2015 11:59pm
Scammel01

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Thanks for both your replies! I will do some research into both products. I think one key issue is trying to extend my wi-if range to cover the garage and allow the camera to communicate back to the house.

Thanks again Smile 58 plate Defender 90 Hard Top
Post #458109 26th Sep 2015 12:02am
ken

United Kingdom 
The Question is why CCTV both of those solutions are useless in the Dark lack of TVL so all you'll get is a pants frustrating pic of a tosser nicking your prize n joy

Money is better spent on a red care very loud alarm that attract attention to the contravention and may scare them away

Thumbs Up
Post #458119 26th Sep 2015 7:03am
dorsetsmith

loud alarm that attract attention that's geese work very well Exclamation
Post #458122 26th Sep 2015 7:41am
ken

United Kingdom 
Your not wrong there Thumbs Up
Post #458123 26th Sep 2015 7:42am
Dora

England 
Ken
Most CCTV systems have good night vision via an array of ir LED's. My Swann home system has a range of 80 feet which is plenty to get a decent view of the scumbags!
Post #458154 26th Sep 2015 10:37am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Why bother filming them.

Post #458163 26th Sep 2015 11:17am
Dora

England 
Actually I have a very good example of why to film them. Several months ago there were a number of vehicles in my road broken into including my wife's. Independently half a mile away two known toe rags were apprehended at 3am for being "equipped". When the break ins were reported the following morning a connection was made ( surprisingly!). The police were 99% convinced these two had committed the crime but as they weren't caught in the act they were released. A cursory search of the CCTV footage revealed the two trying every car door on the street. They were arrested and when confronted with video evidence admitted everything and are now banged up. A result I feel Thumbs Up

Last edited by Dora on 26th Sep 2015 4:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #458174 26th Sep 2015 12:08pm
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
A very low tech solution would be to use a wildlife camera. Lots of battery changes though Sad

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129

Alternatively do a search for "portable DVR" and you'll find a number of cheapish units that are designed for use in buses etc which record onto SD cards. Combine with a reasonable quality camera with LED all powered from a leisure battery and you have a 'wire free' solution.

Lastly there is the option of powering a wifi camera from a car/leisure battery. Extending your wifi range is not too hard to do as long as you can set up a wifi attena. Have a look here:

http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk
Post #458186 26th Sep 2015 1:29pm
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
P.S. We have these cameras installed arround our property. The night vision ability is excellent.

http://cpc.farnell.com/qvis/eye-1000-fg/10...dp/SR08760
Post #458187 26th Sep 2015 1:32pm
ken

United Kingdom 
(Retail) night CCTV is pants I know I have 22 Cameras at home and had to fork out a serious amount of money

Why 22 dont ask All CCTV (retail) the face rec is not enough to prosecute if you think otherwise then you have been had thats the hard fact

Yes you can see the person clearly but the face just wont cut it I'm afraid

Also please dont post mines better than yours images as it will give away dead spots Thumbs Up
Post #458229 26th Sep 2015 7:13pm
AWOL

Depends what exactly you want to achieve.

We have one on the farm with a 60mm lens that is capable of reading number plates at 40m. Would certainly be OK for monitoring the outside of a garage, perhaps even recognising a person, at 50m but you might struggle to identify a stranger at that range. You could combine something like that with one of the nature/track cameras inside the garage though?

Quite nice bit of kit because it's grabbed images before people see it's there.

For anything optical involving distance the lens really matters (even with their ultra high resolution cameras you'll still see sports photographers with incredibly long lens simply because the "just zoom in digitally" approach doesn't cut it). You can safely ignore the sub-10mm / wide angle stuff if you want detail (mate has one that he claims "covers his drive" but there's so little detail you can't tell if it's his wife or a delivery man!).[/i]
Post #458320 27th Sep 2015 9:22am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
cheap potential solution http://www.mightydeals.co.uk/Products/Home...-Kit/60950

Personally i would put false cameras in cages, with battery operated flashing lights so it looks like its working, on all corners of a high building http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Fak...1352068665 Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #458628 28th Sep 2015 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>