↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Dash cameras
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thought that might be the case, I came across a "character" in a pickup a couple of months back up to all sorts trying to quiz me as to why I was parked on private land with land owners permission!
I had permission and he didn't after I talked with the farmer..

Anyway, reported it. (Shan't go into details) but no index so I reckon sod all happened....

Yesterday, I was out saw a woman shunt right into the back of a van just pulling off from lights. Most likely using phone!

And then coming back on a 40mph road another woman at a junction sticks out half way across the road in front of me forcing me to go into the oncoming lane! Shocked
Luckily no one was coming, blasted her with the horn - looked oblivious to it...

Looked in the mirror briefly as I carried on in disbelief and a van going the opposite way and I'm damned she did it again in front of him this time broadside across one lane and stuck partially across another.. Rolling Eyes

As said above, useful to record any number of interesting things safety or otherwise.

Last edited by custom90 on 16th Sep 2015 1:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #455325 15th Sep 2015 8:05pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
When speaking to old bill and my insurer, one of the very first questions from both was " any cctv around the area" . Says it all really. Thumbs Up
Post #455333 15th Sep 2015 8:19pm
Fozzauk

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Do all the rear cameras need to be mounted inside the cab? Reason being is I am thinking of one for the rear of the 130 but it would need to be mounted outside the cab to be of any use as the canopy would be in the way.
Post #455420 16th Sep 2015 7:09am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Another vote for the Blackvue. I have the DR650GW which has the front and rear cameras.
It's also really worth going for the power magic pro box too as that means the camera records when sensing movement when the engine is off.
Alas the Blackvue isn't cheap and ensuring you buy one from an authorised dealer is a bit of a nightmare. After what seemed like hours of Googling I emailed these guys who price matched the lowest price I could find at the time:

http://www.in-car.com

Fast communication and arrived next day. Thumbs Up
Post #455422 16th Sep 2015 7:40am
ken

United Kingdom 
Garmin Nuvi Cam also has a reversing camera options
Post #455426 16th Sep 2015 7:51am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I have a BlackVue DR600GW. The hardware is good, image quality is great, the software is crap for the price though, too bad it ruins a good little camera.

The Android app that is supposed to allow you to see the videos on the run fails to connect to the camera's WiFi 90% of the time, and when by chance it succeeds, playback stops after a few seconds... Lot of complains on Android Play Store....

The Windows app is not much better, it kinda works but it's not very practical and looks clunky and from someone who has no idea how to design a UI.

Pittasoft (that's the name of the company who makes the BlackVue, no kidding) need to learn how to code or hire people who do...

I know it sounds harsh but I am really disappointed by the software on these devices.
Post #455436 16th Sep 2015 8:16am
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Darcy Fairfax wrote:
Yeah, spent ages in the local police station today - didnt get a chance to get his VRM as he was off like a rocket. No damage to me, he left his trim all over the road though. Police arent hopefull as no index, no cctv, they have nothing to go on, hence my need for a new toy Whistle

Read once that to read registration plates nicely one should have a Dashcam recording @ 60fps in stead of the mostly 30fps - maybe keep in mind when making your final decision. I have a Mio in the rear and a Garmin 20 in front - Garmin seems to be the more stable one - Mio sometimes would switch to the "menu" option and losing current date & time settings - necessitating manual resetting.
Post #455461 16th Sep 2015 9:53am
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Agree with the comments, I have a Blackvue and was in a road rage incident on Friday. Picture quality was superb but run the images via Windows on the PC. The Blackvue OS is horrendous to use

Police have the images and just awaiting an outcome now
Post #455483 16th Sep 2015 11:08am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Still begs the question..... What on earth is the matter with some people these days?!?
Post #455491 16th Sep 2015 11:33am
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
whats wrong with people !

Speed!
Everyone is now so used to instantisity (if that's a word). Food pinged out of the microwave in minutes, Internet access at incredible speeds now compared to dial up from not that many years ago , dare I say it the media , showing tragedies and news instantly events happen , everybody wants thing and want them now!
For example yesterday, in a certain supermarket that offers free tea and coffee if you have a reward card , was a que of 3 people , myself included to use the machine .At the front was a little old lady of about 80, taking out the teabag and adding milk, with her obviously arthritic hands was a 30 something chap that kept tutting and telling her to hurry up! Too impatient to help or wait he walked off.
That's the same with driving it's not a journey anymore it's a race to get to the next fix !
Post #455504 16th Sep 2015 12:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very true.
I'm young myself but wouldn't do that however the bulk will.
I don't agree with stereotyping as I think it's a mixed bag across the board between genders and ages.

For example the vast majority of elderly people respect and treat everyone equally, a minority have a superiority complex.

Same thing the opposite way around...

Then say you've got guys saying "women drivers" as a dig who do 100mph down the motorway themselves.

Women that call some men road hogs etc that pull out in front of others or can't reverse.

This is making this a bit of a long post but for example a few months ago I was driving a rural single track lane hedges either side.
I'm travelling at around 28mph no where near the 60 limit possible by law.
A smart car jets it's front out of a gateway completely blind with out looking with two young girls in it around 20 if that from a horse paddock.
Almost half way across the road mind forcing me to brake hard and swerve and throw the dog about in the back. Evil or Very Mad
Then had the cheek looking clever at her mate to shout "you're speeding!"
I slowed to around 5mph opened my window then they looked sheepish and I said 'Use your eyes & look!'

They didn't say any more that's for certain, and drove off at a snails pace. Rolling with laughter

I hate having a go at people and avoid it where possible but where genuine danger and needless stupidity is involved I will.

It always Eurobox though I do know that much of a stereotype. Rolling with laughter Whistle

And breathe....
Post #455524 16th Sep 2015 1:25pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Sadi wrote:
Darcy Fairfax wrote:
Yeah, spent ages in the local police station today - didnt get a chance to get his VRM as he was off like a rocket. No damage to me, he left his trim all over the road though. Police arent hopefull as no index, no cctv, they have nothing to go on, hence my need for a new toy Whistle

Read once that to read registration plates nicely one should have a Dashcam recording @ 60fps in stead of the mostly 30fps - maybe keep in mind when making your final decision. I have a Mio in the rear and a Garmin 20 in front - Garmin seems to be the more stable one - Mio sometimes would switch to the "menu" option and losing current date & time settings - necessitating manual resetting.

Good point, that makes sense. Will have a good look Thumbs Up
Post #455572 16th Sep 2015 4:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fozzauk wrote:
Do all the rear cameras need to be mounted inside the cab? Reason being is I am thinking of one for the rear of the 130 but it would need to be mounted outside the cab to be of any use as the canopy would be in the way.

No, look at the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Truck. The rear camera is a waterproof external unit.

Like you I am thinking of fitting one the my 110 DC and need an external rear camera, this is the only suitable unit I have yet found. Inevitably it is also about the most expensive option there is..... Big Cry
Post #457349 23rd Sep 2015 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12