↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > South African dealers - sump replacement and fuel breather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Malcolm

South Africa 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Fuji White
South African dealers - sump replacement and fuel breather
Have any of the South African guys had any joy with your local dealers regarding the sump replacements and fuel breather relocation issues? My dealer claimed to be unaware of both issues. When I asked for my diesel filter to be drained as part of the 20,000km service I was told that they do not drain them, but only replace them when required as per the normal service replacement interval (I'm not sure what that is).

Is there any danger of my creating an air lock if I attempt to drain the diesel filter?

Thanks.
Post #4274 19th Oct 2008 1:11pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Sump - breather
Hi Malcolm

My dealer in Cape Town called me to tell me to bring in my defender asap and changed the sump and oil for mahala.

The breather I changed location myself and drained the water also. No air locks caused but only drain the filter until the water is gone.
Have a look here to see how much water and fuel I drained.
The dealer also pretended they new nothing of the breather problems. When I told him I had changed the location - all he asked was "OH - did it help?" Shocked

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/Landy1973/FuelBreather/

Good Luck
James Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #4276 19th Oct 2008 6:39pm
Malcolm

South Africa 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Fuji White
Thanks James,

I moved the breather pipe yeterday. Your pictures were most helpful and it only took a few minutes.

I'll give the dealer a few more weeks and then try them again regarding the sump.

Thanks,
malcolm
Post #4291 20th Oct 2008 7:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Thats along the lines of the official fix

Click image to enlarge
 Mike
Post #4292 20th Oct 2008 8:47pm
Fontuin

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Re: South African dealers - sump replacement and fuel breath
Malcolm wrote:
Have any of the South African guys had any joy with your local dealers regarding the sump replacements and fuel breather relocation issues? My dealer claimed to be unaware of both issues. When I asked for my diesel filter to be drained as part of the 20,000km service I was told that they do not drain them, but only replace them when required as per the normal service replacement interval (I'm not sure what that is).

Thanks.

Land Rover Pretoria replaced my sump, clutch and some other recalls without me asking them to, I saw the recall work on the invoices and they told me to come back when they had a replacement clutch kit which they replaced on Thursday(incorectly the first time requiring me to go back). The other work was done at a service.
Post #4293 21st Oct 2008 4:01pm
shorty

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Chawton White
Hi Guys, My sump needs replacing due to the fact that the drive shaft touches it when the vehicle is at its maximum articulation. I spoke to my dealer in fourways about replacing it with the modified replacement sump. He explained to me that they are aware of the problem and do have the replacement sumps but they are identical to the current sump. Does anybody have pictures of original and new and if possible a part number for the new sump? I am going there tomorrow to see for myself. It doesnt need it urgently( but I thought whilst my car has been there for a week regarding the dreaded engine knocking noise which by the way they cant solve after replacing the ECU, reprogramming it and changing some engine components. now waiting for Land Rover South Africa technicians to attend to the fault) I would get all the faults looked at and nipped in the bud. Land Rover's don't leak oil, they simply mark their territory!
Post #4525 6th Nov 2008 9:51am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic512.html Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #4528 6th Nov 2008 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1