↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender 90 forward facing seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rosscomax

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Defender 90 forward facing seats
Anyone know the law on fitting forward facing seats in a 2007 90 hardtop?
Anyone fitted seats that can be removed quickly?
Post #44590 7th Nov 2010 10:35pm
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
someone please answer this as this is what i have thought about in the back of my double cab, even more so if they where easy to remove.
Post #44716 9th Nov 2010 10:39am
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I have an old fashioned two (skinny) person bench seat in the back of my Hard Top.

Mounts via two tabs that fit into slots in the side of the tub and two bolts through the floor (with thick 50mm washers to spread the load).

No seat belts but handy for carting people around short distances off the road and great for sitting in the back when having a brew.

I have fitted bolts "upside down" bolted up through the wheel arch fixed with nuts from above to create two studs.

The wheel arch is ply lined, so I cut two holes so the nuts are recessed (in the ply) and the seat is therefore on a flat surface. I then bolt it down with two extra nyloc nuts and washers.

This way the seat can be removed very quickly (as I did for the recent MOT). Goes back in just as quick. and of course means no grovelling under the wheel arch with a spanner and getting an assistant to hold the nut inside.

Only downside is the thickness of the ply (and rubber matting over it means the seat is 12mm higher so the tabs don't line up with the slots. I had to move the tabs (two bolts on each) by drilling new holes in the seat frame but the angle is slightly changed so it's a bit fiddly to get the tabs to slot into the holes as a result.

Not sure about the legal position but do intend to fit a a pair of retractable lap belts (using proper spreader plates under the wheel arch) to make it "road legal".

I'll add a picture later. MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #45059 12th Nov 2010 5:02pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sidewards facing seats used to come under crew bus rules and no seat belts were required.

Fitting extra seats and having them on road may cause problems with your insurance company/premium. Suddenly gone up from say 5 seats to 9 seats increases the insurance company potential risks.

Also if your vehicle is dual purpose and attracts the lower rate VED/RFT then are you in breach of that?

Just a couple of points to bear in mind?

Brendan
Post #45118 13th Nov 2010 9:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1