↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Radio - snap crackle pop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Radio - snap crackle pop
Do any of you experience a lot of crackle when the RDS is searching for a stronger signal.

Mine sounds like a bad earth on the arial but only on the RDS when hunting for a stronger signal.

Thanks
James Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #4231 13th Oct 2008 7:10pm
Bundubasher

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hello James. I do not have any Kellogs in my radio. My radio works fine even though we cannot play MP3s. I see that you live in the Fairest Cape, do you think that the radio receiver could be a bit sensitive and the mountains are deflecting the signal and changing the frequency a bit? Hopefuly somebody else will reply who also lives in the Cape so you can ascertain if anybody else has this problem. 35 degrees in JHB today and my aircon has not worked since Feb. Long story but Land Rover are trying their best to fix it. New parts should arrive in 14 days time.

Regards
Anthony
Post #4232 13th Oct 2008 9:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bundubasher

James there is one other thing you try. Deactivate Reg and only leave AF activated.
Post #4240 14th Oct 2008 10:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CapeLandy

South Africa 
good idea - will give it a bash.
My Toyota never searches so much for chanels nor makes any noises trying Rolling Eyes Puma 110 - gone
Post #4244 14th Oct 2008 5:57pm
Chaser

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
My radio pops in and out of the station on its own

cheers
chaser if it moves shoot it, if it dosn't push it.
Post #4298 23rd Oct 2008 9:43am
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
RDS, who needs it - there's only 2 radio stations I can receive where I live and that's when I'm within 20km of town and with the aeriel extended. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #4304 24th Oct 2008 7:24am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
sorted I thinks
Well, to my wifes aboslute horror I stripped out part of the dashboard to have a look at all the radio connections and try and find my satelite tracker which I had a suspision was causing the problems.

Found the technician had hacked into the +'ve ignition wire and the connection was not even soldered just crimped on with a wire saddle type goodie and could be moved up and down easily.
I also found the black box for the tracker had fallen off its place stuck on with black gum and was sitting on top of the speaker.
I soldered the joint, taped it up and refitted everything properly and rerouted the satelite arial far away from any other wires etc. under the dash.

Now will have to see if that helps matters, if not at least I know how to take everything off to get behind the dash.
Confused

Cheers
James Puma 110 - gone
Post #4437 3rd Nov 2008 4:30pm
Edd80Inch

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
My CD player has a mind of its own, stops and starts when it wants to and sometimes to remove a CD you have to thump the dash Sad .

Anyone else had this problem?? It will be back at the dealers soon.

Edd 1999 90 TD5 County
1943 Ford GPW Jeep
Post #4446 3rd Nov 2008 6:26pm
Bundubasher

Very ingenious and brave of you to "ruk en pluk" the front of the dashboard out. As they say fortune favours the brave. Excellent bit of handy work you accomplished. Amazing how the idiot installs tracking systems for a living and it takes you the customer time and patience to sort out his mees up. I have looked very hard and temptingly at my dashboard because I would like to change my radio oneday.

Well done

Anthony
Post #4447 3rd Nov 2008 7:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1