↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > my, my, wife's.... delilah (dah dee da-di-da-di-da-di-dah)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NoDo$h

England 
my, my, wife's.... delilah (dah dee da-di-da-di-da-di-dah)
Mrs Do$h has just ordered the replacement for her L200 and has opted for a new 90 county pick-up in Stornaway, with the boost alloys. It's sat in the showroom at Yeovil LR as we speak and will be picking it up on the 30th. She's christened it "Delilah"

Pics will follow!

We'll be fiting a steering/sump guard and a diff guard but for now that will probably be it. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #409 18th Aug 2007 8:43pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Only one small point, Why not wait till the 1st Sept, will be on a 57 plate then, Idea But enjoy, cracking vehicle Very Happy California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #411 18th Aug 2007 11:54pm
NoDo$h

England 
Valid point, but it's pre-registered so we've saved a bob or two and we plan on keeping it for at least 5 years, so the plate won't make a huge amount of difference. Certainly not enough difference to forgo the discount. 

2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
2006 D3 SE - gone
Post #419 19th Aug 2007 9:26pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Once again, we can only dream of picking up a discounted vehicle that's been just lying around a dealer's out here. Mad 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #420 19th Aug 2007 11:32pm
NoDo$h

England 
Sad We had originally planned to buy this particular car before it was registered - it was on display in the showroom, not languishing in a stock yard somewhere. Not sure why it ended up being registered but it ended up working in our favour.

Don't know how it works in Oz, but in the UK dealers of all makes usually get advantageous stocking facilities (lending) provided the stock turns around fairly quickly. If a car is in stock too long it comes up to its "adoption" date and the car has to be paid for by the dealer, whether it is sold or not. Up until that point the car is still owned by the manufacturer, albeit with contractual agreements in place for the dealer to pay on adoption or prior sale. There are also incentives paid to register vehicles as demonstrators and there can be times when registering a unit to the dealership gets you over your quarterly targets. Land Rover work like Ford in paying Volume Bonus to dealers, retrospective to the first unit sold in the quarter. It's not unheard of for dealers to sell cars at a notional loss in the latter stages of a campaign if they are close to target, as qualifying for the bonus will recoup the notional loss on these late sales while increasing profitability on the earlier ones.

Of course if they sell a couple at a loss and miss the target you tend to hear lots of rude words..... Nothing's changed from when I worked in the trade in the mid 1990s in that respect.

Because of population density you are rarely more than 30 miles from a LR dealer in the UK so competition is fierce. Discounts on retail Defenders are still pretty thin on the ground though. I think we were just fortunate with our timing and the fact that we wanted the spec and colour of the vehicle in the showroom. It may still be possible for you to secure discounts like this in Oz, but you'll need to get a handle on where your dealer sits against target, bonus etc. Buying at the end of a sales quarter is usually much better than buying mid campaign.

As an aside, there is a UK online broker offering approximately 10% discount on new Defenders, but I have no experience of using them and would rather support my local dealer provided a decent compromise can be reached on price. Do you have similar brokers in Oz? I guess the distances involved mean national sales/delivery of cars hasn't got the same degree of competition and profitability as in the UK. 

2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
2006 D3 SE - gone
Post #425 20th Aug 2007 10:48am
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Defenders in Oz are basically all build-to-order. This means you wait at least four months for it to be built in Solihull, then shipped out. At this stage only one Brisbane dealer (we only have two anyhow) is planning to even have a demonstrator. They have a foolscap page full of names of people wanting a test drive when it gets here in September.

Land Rover here seem to have basically given up on the Defender as a viable product line. If you take a look at LRA's website you will see that outside the major cities there are only about half a dozen or so regional dealers nationwide. There is far too much money in the luxury SUV market so the 4WD utility market is left to Toyota and, to a lesser extent, Nissan. The Toyota Troop-carrier outsells the Defender about 50-1 (possibly more). It's so bad that dealers almost make you feel like you have soiled their shop by coming in and asking about a Defender. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #437 20th Aug 2007 2:03pm
NoDo$h

England 
I soiled the shop when Mrs Do$h signed the order Shocked 

2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
2006 D3 SE - gone
Post #440 20th Aug 2007 2:40pm
george130

2001 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Auto Chawton White
Yep solmaniac sums it up well. My local dealer told a friend when he was in looking at a Land Rover Discovery that they were not of road vehicles and if he wanted an off roader to buy a jeep. Shocked
Post #443 21st Aug 2007 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1