↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
I don’t know if this has anything to do with the problem you have but back in the early 90’s I had a range rover that was sort of similar. Drive along and put my foot down and it would start coughing and spluttering then stop. Leave it for a few minutes and then would start fine. Sometimes it would just be hill to start it off. It took weeks to figure it out, not even the garage could get to the bottom of it. In the end I took the pump that sits under the rear wheel arch on the chassis off and in the bottom was a small cylinder filter, cleaned this to an inch of its life put it back and bingo! Never had a problem with it from then on.

Boy

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #40728 17th Sep 2010 11:10am
TDfive

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
landy andy wrote:
Sounds like fuel starvation, have you tried driving it with fuel cap off????????

Then consider fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines

Also check air filter, just in case.

When it dies can you still hear fuel pump?, if not check relays under seat, as one may be getting hot.

Andy

have tried the fuel cap off trick no differance at all , when it has died pump is usually screaming like a strangled cat -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
1987 90 tc TD/200TDI DISCO CONVERTION
Post #40747 17th Sep 2010 5:18pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
TDfive wrote:
when it has died pump is usually screaming like a strangled cat

It will do if it has no resistance and there's no fuel in it....Mind it doesn't overheat! Had a similar issue with my V8 Disco....that was down to corroded pipes and the sucking in of air as previously mentioned. Blow the system through and pressure test it!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #40750 17th Sep 2010 6:01pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Try disconecting the multi-plug on the MAF sensor and see if it improves... common fault on the TD5 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #40756 17th Sep 2010 7:00pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Like it is said before if the pump is screaming it doesn't have fuel.
The pump is in the tank so the low pressure part off the pump will have fuel if there is fuel in the tank.

As I understand the whole system is pressurized so it wouldn't suck air in.
The fuel goes from the low pressure part off the pump to the fuel filter and from there to the high pressure part off the pump and I assume that the high pressure parts does the screaming.

It looks to me that you have a problem between the low pressure part off the pump and the high pressure part. You mentioned that the filter was changed so you might have a blocked fuel line.

If the fuel pressure is too low the ECU can switch off the engine. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #40760 17th Sep 2010 7:21pm
TDfive

roel wrote:
Like it is said before if the pump is screaming it doesn't have fuel.
The pump is in the tank so the low pressure part off the pump will have fuel if there is fuel in the tank.

As I understand the whole system is pressurized so it wouldn't suck air in.
The fuel goes from the low pressure part off the pump to the fuel filter and from there to the high pressure part off the pump and I assume that the high pressure parts does the screaming.

It looks to me that you have a problem between the low pressure part off the pump and the high pressure part. You mentioned that the filter was changed so you might have a blocked fuel line.

If the fuel pressure is too low the ECU can switch off the engine.

have replaced the fuel pump this week it did improve a lot but it still not releived the cut out problem Big Cry -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
Post #40765 17th Sep 2010 7:57pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
The reason the fuel pump is noisy is because it is pumping air.

This air is likely being sucked into the fuel system somewhere on the low pressure side of the pump - the pump sends fuel at low pressure from the tank through the filter, and then back to the pump where it goes through the high pressure pump and onto the engine.

I might suggest that it is either the filter (unlikely as it was replaced) or the filter housing - I don't think it will be a fuel line as fuel would be leaking.

I had a similar problem with my TD5 - noisy pump and lack of top end. It turned out to be a poor fuel filter. I did try testing the fuel system with compressed air which didn't diagnose the fault - air leaked into the system but not out! I used my clear fuel line (see below) for diagnosis.

I suggest a new filter (as they're cheap) then a new filter housing (after rebuilding the fittings with new copper washers as they're cheap too).

If it would be useful, I have a section of clear fuel line which I made up when trying to diagnose my air leak. It has the TD5 fuel line fittings - one male, one female - so you can fit it in between components and learn where the air is getting in. I'll gladly post it up to you as a loan if you think it will help? Or you can easily make one from a scrap fuel pressure regulator from the bin at your local LR place! My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #40766 17th Sep 2010 8:06pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Simon,

I thought that the fuelpump is hanging in the fuel, so how can the low pressure pump suck in air? Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #40768 17th Sep 2010 8:14pm
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Roel,

It won't suck air in at the pump, but air can leak in on the low pressure side of the fuel system. Leaks on the high pressure side tend to physically spurt fuel out as it's 4.5 bar if I remember correctly. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #40781 17th Sep 2010 10:34pm
TDfive

SiWhite wrote:
The reason the fuel pump is noisy is because it is pumping air.

This air is likely being sucked into the fuel system somewhere on the low pressure side of the pump - the pump sends fuel at low pressure from the tank through the filter, and then back to the pump where it goes through the high pressure pump and onto the engine.

I might suggest that it is either the filter (unlikely as it was replaced) or the filter housing - I don't think it will be a fuel line as fuel would be leaking.

I had a similar problem with my TD5 - noisy pump and lack of top end. It turned out to be a poor fuel filter. I did try testing the fuel system with compressed air which didn't diagnose the fault - air leaked into the system but not out! I used my clear fuel line (see below) for diagnosis.

I suggest a new filter (as they're cheap) then a new filter housing (after rebuilding the fittings with new copper washers as they're cheap too).

If it would be useful, I have a section of clear fuel line which I made up when trying to diagnose my air leak. It has the TD5 fuel line fittings - one male, one female - so you can fit it in between components and learn where the air is getting in. I'll gladly post it up to you as a loan if you think it will help? Or you can easily make one from a scrap fuel pressure regulator from the bin at your local LR place!

thanks for that mate i might take you up on your offer of the loan of the pipe if i cant get any joy from it Thumbs Up
i have had a development today went into the local stealers for a new filter and asked if there was a differance between the fender and disco td5 filters, guy i bought it from gave me the currant filter as original was rusty and said they are the same .DOH!! Evil or Very Mad
they are different so could be my problem (keep yer fingers crossed for me Wink ) -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
Post #40818 18th Sep 2010 4:26pm
TDfive

Update on my problem i have been having .
After a lot of faffing about and much hair pulling (must say as time went on a gallon of petrol and a match looked a pretty good option Big Cry ) finally sorted it this last few days .
Turns out it was the injector seals to fault Rolling Eyes
all done and running sweet as a nut now
many thanks for all your help ,hope that my misfortune in taking so long finding the problem will perhaps help solve others problem quicker
cheers
paul -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
Post #42836 17th Oct 2010 8:10pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Thank you for spending the time to tell us what the problem was, it is so annoying when people don't inform us that have tried to help.

Glad it is all sorted

Thanks

Andy
Post #42838 17th Oct 2010 8:17pm
TDfive

landy andy wrote:
Thank you for spending the time to tell us what the problem was, it is so annoying when people don't inform us that have tried to help.

Glad it is all sorted

Thanks

Andy

yeah i feel the same just hate it when the story dont gert finished Laughing
must say been walking about like a dog with 2 dicks all day Laughing
even treated her by ordering a new set of rubber (bfg mt's in 265/75R16 Very Happy ) will post a picy when they are shod -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
Post #42840 17th Oct 2010 8:24pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Very common problem! Easy to change though best to use genuine parts as a lot of aftermarket ones I've fitted the copper sealing washer is a vey poor fit on the injector nozzle and fails in no time at all. Genuine ones should be able to be gently tapped on using a bit of pipe or a deep socket that will fit over the injector nozzle. Cleanliness is key as when the injectors are removed the carbon from the tip tends to end up in the washer sealing area in the head....
Post #43220 21st Oct 2010 6:27pm
TDfive

Fatboy Slim wrote:
Very common problem! Easy to change though best to use genuine parts as a lot of aftermarket ones I've fitted the copper sealing washer is a vey poor fit on the injector nozzle and fails in no time at all. Genuine ones should be able to be gently tapped on using a bit of pipe or a deep socket that will fit over the injector nozzle. Cleanliness is key as when the injectors are removed the carbon from the tip tends to end up in the washer sealing area in the head....

i'm quite lucky in that a lad i go off-roading/green laning with has a good mate that works in the local stealership workshop Whistle
left it to him to sort out was worth the delay of a couple of days till he got to it (and a fraction of what they would have charged me ) Rolling Eyes -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
Post #43229 21st Oct 2010 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>