Home > Td5 > Top Hose Bleed Screw Snapped
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mudrut

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Top Hose Bleed Screw Snapped
Hi all!

I did a quick search on here and couldn't find a thread describing this problem, even though on the Internet is has a fair few mentions.

I'd noticed that I had been losing coolant on my 2004 90. It's only done about 50k, and fairly light duty at that, so I was praying it wasn't the head gasket or worse a cracked head. (My Tomb Raider 110 is heavily tuned and did a head at around 80k, but I kinda deserved it Laughing )

Anyway, I saw that coolant was bubbling past the bleed screw on the top hose. When I checked, it appeared that the screw was only a single thread long. The rest was still in the insert in the top hose. Doh!

I picked up a new hose assembly and a single spare screw this morning, hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I know that changing the whole top hose isn't a terrible job, but those bloody clips are my nemesis. Big Cry

I managed to tease the stub around gently with a very sharp tiny screw driver. I was careful not to damage the top hose thread. Just when it was nearly out, I wiped the bits of debris away, then squeezed the hose so that as I removed the stub, any unseen debris was washed away. I will warm the engine up later and top up the coolant/bleed the system.

It occurred to me that had this happened on a trip, it would have been a bit more painful as of all the myriad spares I carry, a top hose screw isn't one of them. Embarassed

I think at the next service, I will have all the hoses replaced as a matter of course anyway. I also note that brass top screw hoses are available which is a possibility. I think that for £2.86, a spare bleed screw is worth having around. From now on, I will replace the screw each time the system is flushed. If a part of the screw had made its way into the water system, it would have been a pain to locate.

Just for reference, the part numbers are:

NPYP10008L Bleed Screw
NPCH114600 Top Hose

regards

Ian
Post #130113 9th Mar 2012 5:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Thumbs Up
Post #130117 9th Mar 2012 6:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes it is a common problem, and one that I have suffered.

When it does snap off the internal part falls in to the coolant system, which creates a lovely feeling of doom, but only actually only falls into the thermostat housing so can be reclaimed with the hose removed. Although that does not help much if you don't have spare screw with you.

After my failure I carry spare top hose on my trips, but will now buy metal screw that you have mentioned above, and save some space. So thanks for the info, is the part number above for a standard replacement one, or metal one?

I had to do temp fix with nut bolt, two penny washer, and some sealer between, far from ideal but worked.

Andy

Last edited by landy andy on 10th Mar 2012 10:03am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #130259 10th Mar 2012 9:52am
mudrut

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi Andy

Fortunately, the way mine broke meant that the no bits fell in, but comforting to know that they only make their way down to the thermostat. Smile

Just to clarify; the part numbers I list are Land Rover original replacement parts. I found brass bleed screws on the web, but didn't note the suppliers or part numbers.

kind regards

Ian
Post #130261 10th Mar 2012 10:01am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sorry just modified my post, as you were replying, but thanks for answering question.

Andy
Post #130262 10th Mar 2012 10:04am
LRSoffroad

England 
moust be the heavy handed Oaf with the screwdriver !! Rolling with laughter
Post #130409 10th Mar 2012 9:54pm
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
Anyone know where I can get my hands on such a metal bleed screw?
Post #425558 22nd May 2015 2:07pm
munch90

England 
think your find zone30 yours are a different bleed screw

think the ones there talking about are the smaller ones

this is the one they talking about eBay item number:

eBay Item No. 181698639028

but different to a tdci 2.4
Post #425559 22nd May 2015 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1