↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > A question for a Memory Map on Android guru (if we have one)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A question for a Memory Map on Android guru (if we have one)
If there is anyone who can provide me with some advice I would be grateful - I am very close to a severe attack of techno-rage!

I have an Android phone (Sony Xperia Z3 I believe) on which, at the start of the year, I installed Memory Map together with the full 1:50k OS maps. All properly licenced, all very wonderful. It has worked perfectly, and it is not long since I last used it. I don't really know how I installed it, since the instructions and user info that MM provides is wholy inadequate and impossible to follow, but with some help from the forum, a lot of luck, and various random actions on the device (oh, and paying several times over for an all inclusive licence), it miraculaously worked.

One of the things about modern phones that really, really irritates me is that they seem constantly to be updating. I reckon that most of my data allowance is used by applications (most of which I never use and don't even know what they do) updating. I am sure I remember that recently MM was one application that updated itself.

Today I tried to use MM, and have found that for some reason it will not display any 1:50k mapping data south of a line through Halesowen! Scotland - no problem, but the West Country etc, forget it! My location is Dorset, the flaming thing says I have a map for Dorset (maps at this location lists 1:50k as well as the default road atlas), and I used to have mapping for Dorset, but now I just get a black screen with the "you are here" mark in the middle of it!

As far as I know the 1:50k mapping data is a single file, so why has half of it disappeared, and what can I do to get it back?

I am very fed up, please can someone offer advice!
Post #424455 18th May 2015 3:20pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Have you looked at Memory Map support web pages for Android it is pretty comprehensive, If you cannot find anything to help then visit http://www.memory-map.co.uk/support/ and open a ticket they are pretty quick at replying.

Links to Android help at Memory Map

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/support/362850-Android-App

Installing the Memory-Map Android app
The only way to obtain the Memory-Map app for Android is via Google Play Store(f...
How to acquire and download trial maps
The latest OS mapping can be easily demoed on your Android device by following t...
How to access the OS Great Britain 2015 maps on your Android device
You can install the 2015 Ordnance Survey maps to your smartphone or tablet using...
Downloading OS Great Britain 2015 maps directly from the Digital Map Shop
This article will guide you through the process of downloading your OS Great Bri...
Transferring the OS Great Britain 2015 maps to your Android device
The OS Great Britain 2015 maps can be sent to Android devices in one of two ways...
Transferring the OS Great Britain 2014 maps to your Android device
The OS Great Britain 2014 maps can be sent to Android devices in one of two ways...
Loading maps to the Internal Storage on Android
This article will show you how to transfer mapping that you already have on your...
Loading maps to an SD card on Android
Android's handling of SD cards is quite complex. The bottom line is, if you put ...
Migrating Memory-Map licences for Android
If you have a newAndroid deviceand don't want to use your licences/activations o...
Recovering DMS mapping on Android
This article will guide you through the steps on recovering your mapping purchas...
Splitting Maps for Android devices
Most Android devicesuse the FAT32 file system. The FAT32 file system has a file ...
Transferring marks, routes and tracks from the PC to Android
This article will show you how to transfer your marks, routes and tracks saved o...
Transferring marks, routes and tracks from Android to the PC
This article will show you how to transfer your marks, routes and tracks saved o...
About the Nav Data screen
This article deals with the Android app Nav screen. Something new in the Android...
Android Screen Rotation
The Memory-Map Android app can be launched in either portrait or landscape mode,...
Classic Map Compatibility and Import 3rd Party Maps explained
As Memory-Map has evolved, so has the concept of licensing maps. Two issues that...
I get a "file is too large for the destination file system" message when I try to copy my map files to an SD card?
If you see this message when trying to copy very large maps to your SD card then...
Using Bluetooth and USB GPS units with Memory-Map Android
Although many Android units have an integrated GPS, this is not always the case....
Where is the Help file for the Memory-Map Android app?
The Help file is available from within the app itself, this can be accessed by: For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #424465 18th May 2015 3:56pm
blackwolf

Thanks for the reply!

I have gazed in wonder at the MM support pages and have not (yet) found solace there.

What really baffles me is that the whole UK is in a single .qct file, and since mapping for places north of Birmingham is OK that file is clearly being accessed as it should be, and always has until now. I wonder if the file itself has become corrupted perhaps? I will try reinstalling it this evening.

It isn't a very useful application when you get a black screen which tells you which way you're heading, and how fast, but not where you are!

If reinstalling it doesn't help I will open a ticket.

I get so frustrated when these things happen! Evil or Very Mad

Thank you however for your advice. it is much appreciated.
Post #424466 18th May 2015 4:05pm
gilarion

Have you had a look here as well

http://memory-map.com/mm-android-help3/Memory-Map.htm

http://memory-map.com/Knowledge_Base.html For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #424470 18th May 2015 4:28pm
blackwolf

Well, I am really baffled now!

I have reinstalled the map file (.qct) from my laptop, I've reinstalled the application from the Google Play store, and it's made no difference whatsoever.

As a control, I've done the same thing on a Samsung android tablet that didn't have MM installed and it's worked perfectly (with the same mapping file).

I am coming to the conclusion that it's a Sony specific problem.

I have raised a ticket with MM, let's hope they can help.

Many thanks to everyone who's replied or pm'ed, it is much appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #424524 18th May 2015 7:19pm
blackwolf

SOLVED ! The good folks at MM have immediately identified the problem.

It seems that Android version 5, know bizarrely as "lollipop" in the way of earlier versions, no longer enables MM to use old-style maps in files larger than 2GB. Since the whole UK in the 2007 edition I am using is 3GB, it doesn't work. Thanks Google!

The answer, in case anyone else is in the same situation, is either to upgrade to a later version of the maps (and there are good offers at the moment) or to split your single map into smaller, sub-2GB portions. The latter has got me smiling again.

Again, thanks to all who offered advice, much appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #424565 18th May 2015 8:39pm
gilarion

Glad you got it sorted. Memory Map has many faults especially with some of its software and particularly with its Adventure 300 GPS unit. However its customer service and support is second to none. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #424761 19th May 2015 1:22pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: A question for a Memory Map on Android guru (if we have
blackwolf wrote:
If there is anyone who can provide me with some advice I would be grateful - I am very close to a severe attack of techno-rage!

I have an Android phone (Sony Xperia Z3 I believe) on which, at the start of the year, I installed Memory Map together with the full 1:50k OS maps. All properly licenced, all very wonderful. It has worked perfectly, and it is not long since I last used it. I don't really know how I installed it, since the instructions and user info that MM provides is wholy inadequate and impossible to follow, but with some help from the forum, a lot of luck, and various random actions on the device (oh, and paying several times over for an all inclusive licence), it miraculaously worked.

One of the things about modern phones that really, really irritates me is that they seem constantly to be updating. I reckon that most of my data allowance is used by applications (most of which I never use and don't even know what they do) updating. I am sure I remember that recently MM was one application that updated itself.

Today I tried to use MM, and have found that for some reason it will not display any 1:50k mapping data south of a line through Halesowen! Scotland - no problem, but the West Country etc, forget it! My location is Dorset, the flaming thing says I have a map for Dorset (maps at this location lists 1:50k as well as the default road atlas), and I used to have mapping for Dorset, but now I just get a black screen with the "you are here" mark in the middle of it!

As far as I know the 1:50k mapping data is a single file, so why has half of it disappeared, and what can I do to get it back?

I am very fed up, please can someone offer advice!

Obviously you have downloaded the SNP pro-Scottish Independence version. The update factored in the party's recent General election successes and as such has separated the nation's maps for you..... Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #424863 19th May 2015 8:06pm
blackwolf

I did wonder if the ghastly Sturgeon creature had something to do with it!
Post #424931 19th May 2015 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1