↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Switch fascia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Switch fascia
I'll be wiring in spotlights in a week's time and wanted to replace the blank facia of one of the dash switches with one from a front fog or driving light (already got the switch mechanism from my old Disco).

Does anyone know if this is available as a separate part or the part number of the whole switch?

I'm going to try a few second hand parts dealers as I think I'm right in saying this was the same on the Td5???

If all else fails I'll get creative with the Dremel and some white paint. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com

Last edited by dm_td5 on 27th Sep 2008 7:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #4033 26th Sep 2008 1:10pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I think its the same as th TD5 !

I too am looking for a switch and wiring loom ! there are some original wiring kits from LR to replace the WARN one made by PIAA if some one PMs me i will send them pics to post !

The wiring comes with switch relays and everything else ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #4035 26th Sep 2008 3:47pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Yep,, the master dash light switch is the same as a TD5,, or at least from a 04 year !!

The lamps, loom and switch, were swapped from a previous 2004 TD5 XS, and fitted to the Puma,, no problems,, The genuine loom is not cheap ??, but a toddle to fit / wire up !!! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #4038 26th Sep 2008 4:47pm
dm_td5

I have the switch as it is also the same unit as a Disco2 binnacle switch, just a different fascia. The switch I have is an old D2 cruise control and so is a latching type with a ON indication lamp. I'm hoping to get a fascia with the light symbol and number 2.

In Australia the spotlights must by law be wired so they can only come on if high (main) beam is also on. This means a relayed circuit with a trigger off the high beam is the easiest way to provide power to the switch. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #4042 26th Sep 2008 9:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I did a lot with these switches a while ago and as it happens there are some on my desk!

The blank i have i would like to put in an aux 2 light switch and i bet they make one. The problem them comes with the rear connectors - what i did a while ago was take them of a breaking car - but you can also use tiny crimps.

When interchanging the fronts i broke the clips often so be careful - what i would say is the normal fog light switch is latching so one of those and your away Mike
Post #4050 27th Sep 2008 7:06am
dm_td5

Yep, tiny crimps is what I used too. The switch parts the easy bit being the same piece as the Disco. Like you say careful changing the face plate though.

They do make an Aux 2 light switch and this is the fascia I'm trying to get. I believe it is only available as part of the Aux wiring kit though and not as a stand alone part Evil or Very Mad 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #4053 27th Sep 2008 7:52am
dave's 110

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have found the best switch to use is the heated rear window from td5 or 2007 on wards, as it's a push on push off switch to get the right face plate you need to order the light switch 2 these will not work with out wiring through a ECU so I just unclip the face plate and swap with heated rear window one and as only 3.50 each it's not a lot of money to have the right looking switch's in your dash

See my photo's would add them here if I could find out how to Razz http://www.saharanomads.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63 http://www.saharanomads.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=66

To get back light and little red light on is not that hard only thing is the switch don't come with a plug but you can use some small female spade

Dave

P.S if any one wants part number for the both switch I can find that out as can't find them right know in my tip of an office Rolling with laughter as you can buy these switch's on there own.
Post #4056 27th Sep 2008 6:38pm
dm_td5

Dave, that is exactly the switch I am after. As said I already, I have the latching type switch assemble to put behind it, this also has the light built in. So yes please either post up or PM me the part number of the switch.

In your gallery pic's you show the wiring to the instrument cluster, was this to tap in to the main beam wire ? Can you recall if what colour(s) it was?

Buy the switch, swap the fascia, wire in spotlights ... bingo Very Happy 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #4061 27th Sep 2008 9:15pm
mse

I to would be interested in the switch front part no. and the best switch to provide the light

Was it a matter of removing the stereo and being able to reach the switch recess? Mike
Post #4062 27th Sep 2008 9:52pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
mse

According to the workshop manual you only need to remove the stereo to hav acces to the back of the switchs.
If you like I have the dismount procedure.

Regards Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #4063 28th Sep 2008 12:07am
dave's 110

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
dm_td5 wrote:
Dave, that is exactly the switch I am after. As said I already, I have the latching type switch assemble to put behind it, this also has the light built in. So yes please either post up or PM me the part number of the switch. dm_td5 Iwill post part number soon as just need to find it out from LR main dealer as can't find it here Exclamation

In your gallery pic's you show the wiring to the instrument cluster, was this to tap in to the main beam wire ? Can you recall if what colour(s) it was?Yes i tapped into main head light's wire on the steering column Blue/white wire. If you remove the radio there is just room to get small hand in there to do the work some of the blanking plates do have the plugs on the back for the switch's but you do need to trim them to fit the heated rear window switch Exclamation

Buy the switch, swap the fascia, wire in spotlights ... bingo Very Happy

What I will do is check and see what way round you have to wire up switch's back light is red/orange earth black then live in and live out when wire up right, the little red light show when switch is on Razz .

You can't just get the switch front for Aux 2 light switch you have to buy the switch and swap front face of switch they flick off easy. So you buy 2 switch's and make one out of the 2 to get a push/on push/off Aux 2 light switch Very Happy
This is where I took the feed for light's http://www.saharanomads.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=64
If you want better pic PM me with your email and I will send them to you as in my Gallery pic are smaller then on my pc Thumbs Up
Hope this is of help to you All

Dave
Post #4064 28th Sep 2008 8:30am
dm_td5

For the record switch pins are:
1. Power to switch
2. Power to light on switch
3. No used
4. Ground
5. Power from switch 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #4065 28th Sep 2008 8:42am
mse

Eduardo wrote:
mse

According to the workshop manual you only need to remove the stereo to hav acces to the back of the switchs.
If you like I have the dismount procedure.

Regards

Yes please

Yes you do have to buy several switches and break them up - i have a box of disco ones for another project.

The disco aux 2 fronts are for around the speedo - so i would be interested in the parts for the defender version.

Its also which is best as a latching (push on and hold) switch to use there are a few Mike
Post #4066 28th Sep 2008 9:21am
dm_td5

From the Disco switches the only one that is latching it the Cruise Control. It has the advantage of also having the light in it.

Still coming to terms with the Puma but the switches are the same sleeve part as the Disco. Any of those that are latching would be OK - A/C, Rear Fog, Rear Wiper. My preference would be rear fog or A/C as they have lights in them, like the Disco Cruise Control. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #4067 28th Sep 2008 9:50am
mse

Sorry penny dropped should have said - Rang Rover Classic Switches are latching and there are loads of square ones with lights in. Disco 2 switches i didnt think of cruise i think hazards is latching heated front and rear are momentary i assume HDC is the same. Mike
Post #4068 28th Sep 2008 10:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>