↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > The joys of the Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The joys of the Td5
After a pretty vigorous day at Tuff Terrains on Sunday my Td5 has been paying me back. On the Sunday the rear hub drive flanges decided to give out, luckily I had a feeling that they were on their way out and the ones I'd ordered turned up on Saturday but I didn't get round to fitting them. I should have done as it would have been better than doing them on a muddy track in Wales with a light Welsh drizzle permeating down my neck!
Monday morning it decided not to start, diesel starvation, it tried to fire then there was no sign of diesel to the injectors. Did a couple of purges but no change in starting. Sprayed some brake cleaner in the inlet manifold and after a couple of turns it fired and was purfect all day.
Tuesday, reluctant to start but started and was fine all day except after a break for a couple of hours when I just got a click with the ignition key. Underneath to sort the starter solonoid out, not surprising as we had been in a lot of water and sludge. Only a 10 minute job, as soon as I got under it started to snow, those nice little pea sized balls of snow that just fall off your clothes, then it started to snow heavily for 5 minutes, still OK as I was sheltered underneath. Then it stopped and started t melt....... drips on my head, down my neck, a constant dribble on my leg. It was one of those dilemmas where you're allmost finished and you are in the quandry whether to carry on or find a way to not get soaked, I got very wet!
Wednesday, another first start of the day needing and aerosol help, fine for the rest of the day.
Today, the same but having more time I got the spanners out. The pump was changed 12 months ago and a couple of times this week I've been aware of a slight hesitation when going uphill, not all the time but enough to notice so I decided to investigate there first. Took the pump out and there was traces of the dreaded black slime. The gauze bottom of the pump was full of the stuff, I took it off and a good 75% of it was blocked so cleaned it off, completely drained the pump and put it back into the tank. Did the purge sequence and the pump quietened down and the motor started. Changed the filter and put a dry one on, purged the system, back to having a quiet pump and again no problem starting.
Hopefully that may have sorted it, I've got some new injector seals and washers winging their way in the post which I will put on anyway, it's 2 years since they were done last with Bearmach ones so it won't hurt putting genuine ones on
The test will be if it starts in the morning Whistle
Post #404734 5th Mar 2015 3:46pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
That sounds like a busy week Shocked hope all goes well in the morning

Ray
Post #404738 5th Mar 2015 4:22pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Have you ever changed the injector seals?
Post #404787 5th Mar 2015 7:41pm
JWL

Yes, as I said in the post, it's about 2 years since I did them last. I'm more inclined to be confident that it's the pump that's been causing me the grief this week mainly due to the amount of grief that I gave it on Sunday, shaking up the contents of the fuel tank more than usual. Generally when the injector seals go you do get some warning that something is not quite right and I've had none of that, it's been running quite well up untill now.
Post #404810 5th Mar 2015 9:15pm
JWL

Well it seems to have done the job, instant start again. So if you're having trouble with starting it's worth whipping the pump out to see if diesel can actually be sucked in in the first place.
Post #404901 6th Mar 2015 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1